News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

UnskilledStunts Championship 2008/2009

Started by CTG, January 09, 2008, 06:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which bonuses do you need in the new season of USC?

LTB
2 (33.3%)
MOR
1 (16.7%)
Time bonus
5 (83.3%)
None of them
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: September 08, 2008, 08:59:16 PM

Duplode

Quote from: Chulk on September 04, 2008, 01:14:25 AM
I like Duplode's idea of a couple of special events (Maybe 1 every 4 races or so) better.

Exactly, two events in an 8-race season; three for a 10-race or 12-race one. That would keep a nice anticipation feeling for the special events while not grinding people who dislike IRC or would just prefer free-rules mode.

Quote from: CTG on September 03, 2008, 04:47:33 PM
By 2. I'm thinking on a 16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2 system with 4-3-2-1 time bonus. Winner will get 20 pts for sure.

That scheme looked interesting enough, so I took the liberty of doing a few simulations using real USC results from last season, trying to pick races with different scoreboard dispositions. The coefficients from the other topic (0.05/0.2/0.5/1.0) were used for calculating bonus points. Some general conclusions:

• Point distribution is overall balanced. No instances of 5-point gaps were found, and in general 4-point gaps only happen sometimes between 1st and 2nd.
  • Relative gaps from top to midfield, when compared with former USC system, can be far smaller if the average is slow, but sometimes even a bit larger in case of fast averages.
  • Large gaps between 1st and 2nd obviously favour 20 - 16 - ... distributions (as in Visegrad), however, the differences need not be very large for that to happen if the average is fast (like in Ajka, where first-to-second gap was 1.9s)
  • Specially when dealing with tight midfields, the cutoffs can be very cruel to some pipsqueaks, with 0.1s gaps often defining bonus point zones (Ozd or Paks, for instance). But that's life I guess...
  • In races with slow averages, there's a fair chance a number of drivers below 8th will receive bonus points and end the race drawn.
  • The average is quite sensitive to very slow (relative to the rest of the scoreboard) times at the final positions, and that can have very significant consequences for the sub-podium and midfield battles.
Overall, this system seems to work fine. The zones might need some extra tuning for a more "natural" feel, and some way to minimize the influence of times several tens of seconds slower than the leaders would result in better consistence. Detailed results are available in the rough spreadsheet attached (it will react to changes in coefficients at W1...W4 fields, so CTG can play a bit with them if necessary  :))

CTG

Duplode:

1, Thanks for your work, it's really a great analysis!
2, Are you so bored? ;D

I think the coefficients are more or less fine. Of course I would be glad to hear your opinion about modified limits.

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on September 04, 2008, 04:02:53 PM
Duplode:

1, Thanks for your work, it's really a great analysis!
2, Are you so bored? ;D

I think the coefficients are more or less fine. Of course I would be glad to hear your opinion about modified limits.

1. You're welcome...  ;)
2. No, just a bit insomniac after returning from a farewell gathering and then staying awake until way too late in order to catch House M.D. on the TV  :)
(3.) The coefficients may indeed be fine, only I didn't considered the issue for too long (the "might" I used in my comment was a quite weak one).

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on September 06, 2008, 02:00:27 AM
2. No, just a bit insomniac after returning from a farewell gathering and then staying awake until way too late in order to catch House M.D. on the TV  :)

Season 4 is not so good although the last 2 episodes (House's head, Wilson's heart) were really strong.

Back to Stunts: what about track names? We almost run out of bigger Hungarian towns - maybe I'll continue with cities around the world...

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on September 15, 2008, 12:14:04 PM
Season 4 is not so good although the last 2 episodes (House's head, Wilson's heart) were really strong.

The Brazilian broadcaster on which I'm watching House is currently sonewhere by the final third of Season 3 - no clue whether they will continue with the 4th one. Although maybe the series has mellowed very slightly over the last ten episodes or so it's still brilliant up to now.

Back to Stunts:  (:D)

what about track names? We almost run out of bigger Hungarian towns - maybe I'll continue with cities around the world...

An alternative just occured to me: maybe you could "relocate" USC to France, Denmark, China or somewhere else and ask for a pipsqueak of the chosen country to provide according track names, with some non-obvious choices mixed for good. Different countries might be employed for each season. That way there would be a clear theme, interesting sounding names and most of the super-famous international cities would stay available for USL-like events in the future.

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on September 16, 2008, 12:52:04 AM

The Brazilian broadcaster on which I'm watching House is currently sonewhere by the final third of Season 3 - no clue whether they will continue with the 4th one. Although maybe the series has mellowed very slightly over the last ten episodes or so it's still brilliant up to now.

Hungarian TV just started Season 4 - but I downloaded the new episodes in the spring with subtitles. It's worth to listen Hugh Laurie's jokes in original version instead of dubbed episodes... ;)

About your name suggestion: USC was (almost) always the place of tracks named after Hungarian towns. I still have 10-15 towns in the pocket (like Usrin's hometown: Szolnok), maybe the only alternative nomenclature is naming after beer brands... ;D

Chulk

You could use Stunts coders + programmers names, to honor them...
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Quote from: Who is online?Akoss Poo  17:58:18 Viewing the board General Chat - USC.

Project seems to be delayed a bit, USL is still running (already two weeks longer than expected).

CTG

So you couldn't resist and opened a new Muppet Show. Still ignoring.

CTG

KONEC!

means "the end" in russian and some other slavian languages - before starting to think it's a spam without meaning

AbuRaf70

Final de Campeonato ELECTRIZANTE....!!!!

Nada hacía suponer un empate triple en el primer lugar, y luego también en el 5º con mi eterno rival SuperBrian...

Mis felicitaciones a todos los participantes y al Campeón, por supuesto...

Además, quiero Felicitar a CTG por haber organizado este adictivo Campeonato. Espero que para el 2010 como él lo dijo (o tal vez antes....?) vuelva a organizar otro...
Por largo que sea el camino, siempre comienza con el primer paso.