News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Sound Files Editing (VCE)

Started by Zapper, July 27, 2010, 06:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Really cool.
The indy has a more F1 vibe to it.
The proto has bit lower vibration.,
The sprint has i think the nicest. I like the idle sound. sounds lazy. I think it fits the dodge.
(terrible descriptions, i know. Don't know much about engines)

I renamed them into separate folders, so I can quickly swap them.
Attached for whoever wants them.

Thanks Zapper for the research. Gives a bit more life to the game,
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Zapper

Hi,

After stating that grass surface sound is missing on AdLib/Sound Blaster setup (Tandy also doesn't) by comparison with PC Speaker and MT-32 VCE files, I found a way to use a skid sound when driving non-tarmac (grass/mud/ice) surfaces.

Initially I tried to add a resource at the end of the file ADENG1.VCE and also increasing byte nr. 5 from 8 to 9 (matching number of sound resources), but it seems dificult to get it recognized (all sounds get muted):

So my second attempt was to replace the "STOP" sound resource (as far as I know it's not heard in game), with the a new resource "SKI2" that is related for non-tarmac skid sound as you can check:

(original file content on top window)

I've tunned a little to be a lower tonned like It happens on Pc Speaker or MT-32.

The resulting file ADENG1SK.VCE is on attach, just replace the original ADENG1.VCE to try it.

alanrotoi

Now I can migrate to sound blaster for racing. Thank you! It was one of the biggest pothole of the game!

dreadnaut

That's brilliant! Let's test it for a bit, but it might be worth adding to the standard ZakStunts pack

Daniel3D

Quote from: dreadnaut on July 05, 2022, 02:21:46 PM
That's brilliant! Let's test it for a bit, but it might be worth adding to the standard ZakStunts pack
Exactly. I will add it to the the new builds as well.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Zapper

Quote from: Zapper on July 05, 2022, 11:34:56 AM
After stating that grass surface sound is missing on AdLib/Sound Blaster setup (Tandy also doesn't) by comparison with PC Speaker and MT-32 VCE files, I found a way to use a skid sound when driving non-tarmac (grass/mud/ice) surfaces.

I've replicated the same fix on Tandy resource file TDENG1.VCE, check attached TDENG1SK.VCE file below.

Duplode

Great news! This is indeed one of the most annoying bugs in the game. Thanks Zapper!

Cas

Wow!  I've just downloaded the updated file. It's almost 3:00am, so I'm going to bed, but I'll try it tomorrow.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Zapper on October 22, 2021, 11:58:57 PM
By knowing this, my curiosity simply got me into checking how this sound file have inside. So I unpacked ADENG1.PVC in Stressed application and easily find out all this resources:

Out of curiosity. Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge version can be edited in stressed. But stunts version can not.
What happens if you edit the Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge version to match stunts? Does that work?
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Frieshansen

Just tried it - great work Zapper!

alanrotoi

Quote from: Daniel3D on July 07, 2022, 05:18:56 PM
Quote from: Zapper on October 22, 2021, 11:58:57 PM
By knowing this, my curiosity simply got me into checking how this sound file have inside. So I unpacked ADENG1.PVC in Stressed application and easily find out all this resources:

Out of curiosity. Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge version can be edited in stressed. But stunts version can not.
What happens if you edit the Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge version to match stunts? Does that work?

Yep they are very similar games, graphics and sounds. They took many things from Stunts like Porsche 962 and Porsche March 3d models.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Daniel3D on July 07, 2022, 05:18:56 PM
Curiosity got the better of me as well.
Editing the Mario version is very possible. and i managed to match the stunts version easy. The files are however not the same.
There are slight variations in the file (Stunts had not problem with it though). Adding SKI2 in stressed also worked fine in stuns
(if SKI2 is located before SKID it seems, had it at the end the first try, that didn't produce skidding sound, but worked otherwise fine)..

But i wanted closer to the original. So I edited the second high bite of the original from 2 to 4 (as it was in my adaptation of mario's file [ADENG1-MA.VCE] )
that gave the expected size in stressed of 1136 (instead of 624) that was long enough to trim the last few bits and have a working original in stressed. [ADENG1-C.VCE]
then I added the SKI2 Chunk by duplicating and renaming SKID. [ADENG1.VCE]
** files attached for reference - all are different, but all work in stressed and in stunts **

I think we can do this for other files that stressed won't open with this error as well.
Credit goes to Zapper. i only connected two separate bits of information together. And I am happy that it fit withing my skill set.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

Applied the same trick to the tandy version. (only 22 empty bites difference)

Needs testing, but i think it will be ok.

also edited the other PC and MT VCE file so they can be opened in stressed now.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

@zapper. You know, I think, more than most of us about how the game processes the sound files. Can you lower the tone of SKI2 so that it is more of a rumble?
Edison once said,
---------
---------

alanrotoi

Daniel this is getting good! We have another game to take resourses for Stunts.