News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Finally there: the superkart (version 1.0), plus special race event.

Started by Overdrijf, August 20, 2010, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrijf

No changes on the scoreboard as we enter the last few days...

By the way: whoever finds the big 'this was ones the Indy and the creater forgot to edit something'-bug/easter egg first gets to decide whether I fix it or keep it. [/design fail]

Overdrijf

Since friday it have been silent days for me too, so I was wondering if someone would still come up and beat me. Nobody did. However, Duplode became the moral winner with a manual NORH no loopcut run almost managing to beat me in the proces.

Anyway, the final scoreboard looks like this. I thank all (oke, both) competitors for entering, and I'll see all of you around.

Overdrijf 0.44.80 (manual)
Duplode 0.45.35 (manual, NORH)
Zapper 0.50.60 (manual)
Skid Vicious 0.58.45 (manual)

Overdrijf

Thanks Leo.

As you may have noticed I've been absent from the forums for a while, but I finally got your feedback. :D

dreadnaut

I think I've never raced with the SuperKart :o   Maybe we should add it back for the next season...

Overdrijf

Quote from: dreadnaut on August 23, 2018, 11:28:50 AM
I think I've never raced with the SuperKart :o
Well, there's an easy way to fix that. ;)
QuoteMaybe we should add it back for the next season...

Maybe.

I think there are several reasons the kart wasn't the biggest hit during its seasons in Zakstunts:
1 The top speed is low but the corner speed and acceleration high. This could give people the feeling that driver skill matters less, a small error costs barely any time.
2 The feel of the car is sometimes a little unintuitive to Stunts players, mostly because of its short wheelbase. The jump length is pretty short, and in the banked corners you sometimes have to steer towards the curve to stay on the road. Cornering is a matter of pressing and releasing the steering keys in any stunts car, but the short wheelbase exaggerates this even further. The top speed is clearly dictated by maximum revs rather than power curve (although this is the case for more cars, particularly those with overdrive bugs).
3 The car may be a little too distinctive. It's good on tracks with lots of corners. Normally every race has several viable cars, so you can pick one you like, but if the kart is getting near the top of its bonus curves and then a curvy track comes up it might become near impossible to compete in something else.
4 The more cartoony looks might not be to everyone's taste either.

I still really like my creation. There isn't a car I've used more since I restarted playing again yesterday. And I think it was cool it got to compete for two seasons. But it has its downsides. Who knows, it might be brought back into the pack one day, but Zakstunts is just as awesome without it. There are good reasons for people to like other cars better.

Duplode

I do like the Kart! It's true that it works best on a rather specific kind of track, but it can be fun to drive. Furthermore, I don't think we actually had a bad race with it back when it was a ZakStunts car.

(Nice to see you around, Overdrijf  :))

dreadnaut

Maybe we could have a one-off Kart event, and see what people think?

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on August 25, 2018, 03:56:56 PM
I do like the Kart! It's true that it works best on a rather specific kind of track, but it can be fun to drive. Furthermore, I don't think we actually had a bad race with it back when it was a ZakStunts car.

(Nice to see you around, Overdrijf  :))

Well yeah, but you're the Stunts physics master. The kart wouldn't even have been possible without your research.  ;)

Quote from: dreadnaut on August 25, 2018, 10:19:36 PM
Maybe we could have a one-off Kart event, and see what people think?

I'm certainly up for anything. Inclusion or event or both. I always like a good excuse for karting. I'm willing to help too, making a track or running the contest in the forums or...

Thanks for the shout out in the announcements by the way. I'm curious now what other people think.

EDIT: I'm looking back through the archives now and I see it's been a big car shuffle since with models all having a few years in the limelight and maybe even coming back. It's a very dynamic car pool, I like it.

Cas

I could revive Race For Kicks (I had been thinking some time ago that I could do it and make some changes to it) and I'd be happy to include the Kart there!   In fact, I believe it's time that I would also learn the art of making cars for Stunts. It'd be great if we'd started producing a new generation of custom cars. Maybe a whole season oriented toward car and track creation?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Overdrijf

Thinking along the lines of the last few posts...

You could do some sort of event with lots of custom cars. A "for your consideration" event if you will, with the purpose of getting feedback to select the cars for the next season. Throw in anything that has already been in Zakstunts, some that were considered at one point but passed over and some new stuff entirely.

The main problem would be how to make it an event where all those cars can compete and would thus be used. The usual bonus structure doesn't really work for a single race...

A race for kicks season about custom cars, tracks and stuff would of course be awesome.

Cas

I reckon the only way to make a race fair while testing cars that we're not sure how to compare to each other, is to use a single car per race. I can make R4K with its usual rules (OWOOT, allowing both RH and noRH) and test the Kart in one race and possibly other experimental cars in other races. The system works. I'd like to make a few touches to it, but it's already functioning, so I could quickly set up a race for the Kart. Where can I get the latest version of the Kart?

Overdrijf

The suka.zip in the first post of this topic is the final version, the one that was used in Zakstunts. The same version can also be found here.

If that zip is not the final version something went wrong somewhere...

The only other version I have a memory of publishing can be found in post 25 of this topic. Given the choice I would not recommend that version. The final one looks much better. I'm especially proud of the front wheels turning as the steering wheel turns.

afullo

I've been here only since 2014, so I have to try some runs with the kart. After having tried, I'll tell you something. ;)

Cas

I've downloaded the Super Kart and I'm testing it :)  I have to get to know it better so I can make tracks especially for it. I'll be preparing Race For Kicks and get a race to try the Super Kart :D