News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Annoying things

Started by Chulk, July 31, 2008, 12:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

...manual shifting in real life! >:(

Duplode

I kind of like manual shifting -- run-of-the-mill cars with auto gears and power steering weird me out a bit, like I were driving a really big toy. Still, I guess I would be easily swayed to the opposite opinion if my daily commute involved slogging through lots of inner-city traffic!

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on January 09, 2022, 03:40:59 PM
I kind of like manual shifting -- run-of-the-mill cars with auto gears and power steering weird me out a bit, like I were driving a really big toy. Still, I guess I would be easily swayed to the opposite opinion if my daily commute involved slogging through lots of inner-city traffic!

I got my driving licence in 2016. Since that I had no opportunity (till 2020) / mood to use a car - simply because I hate driving (and I have no sense to do it). Now I HAVE TO drive: my old-new employer provided a company car (Toyota Auris) and since we live ~16-17 kms away from my workplace, it means a huge advantage in time to travel by car instead of public transport (bus X, train, tram Y, then bus Z OR bus A with dozens of useless stops, then bus Z... both are about an hour...).

I'm trying to warm up by taking driving lessons, however, I'm still fuckin' lame on the road.

Cas

Not sure if this is like this in all of Latin America, but at least in Argentina, virtually everybody uses manual transmission and there's a generalised feeling of something like what Duplode describes: that automatic cars are like big toys, ha, ha. It wouldn't be fair that I made the comparison, though, since I have never had a driving license in my life or any interest in driving. I do like the idea of racing, though, although I haven't done it in real life, but having to drive and interact with other drivers and pedestrians, experience problems such as something breaking and being left on foot and having to find a mechanic or getting yelled at because I didn't see a sign or having to yell at somebody because they didn't... those things really discourage me from driving.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

All the buses at least in Buenos Aires have an automatic transmission (or semi-automatic, I don't know the difference). It's only in the urban public transport as far as I know.

Usrin

Quote from: Cas on January 09, 2022, 06:30:18 PM
Not sure if this is like this in all of Latin America, but at least in Argentina, virtually everybody uses manual transmission and there's a generalised feeling of something like what Duplode describes: that automatic cars are like big toys, ha, ha.

Many Europeans feel the same, but as the technology of auto transmission advances, it gets more and more accepted even by car enthusiasts. Older automatic cars had poor acceleration, high fuel consumption and switched between gears with no apparent logic, giving a feeling that the driver is out of control. In modern cars it is not the case anymore - new automatic transmissions work much smoother, not to mention electric cars where gears are not needed at all. I was also very skeptical before I bought my current car (also a Toyota Auris, but with hybrid engine and auto transmission) in 2018. Now I don't miss gear shifting at all.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Usrin

Quote from: alanrotoi on January 10, 2022, 06:36:07 PM
All the buses at least in Buenos Aires have an automatic transmission (or semi-automatic, I don't know the difference). It's only in the urban public transport as far as I know.

Car rental companies may also have some automatic vehicles for travelers from the US, as they really CANNOT drive a manual car.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

dreadnaut

Quote from: Usrin on January 10, 2022, 07:30:46 PM
Car rental companies may also have some automatic vehicles for travelers from the US, as they really CANNOT drive a manual car.

Same here, but they are always more expensive to hire, so I've never tried one.

I think I enjoy shifting, and the change in acceleration that comes from being in a different gear. Learning left-hand shifting when I moved was not fun though.

KyLiE

I definitely prefer a manual transmission.  Although, one of my cars has a modified automatic transmission that is more like a clutch-less manual, which is also fun.

alanrotoi

High temperatures. That annoys me >:(

dreadnaut

Quote from: Shoegazing Leo on January 22, 2022, 03:30:02 AM
Egg when breaks on my hand

Oh yes! And maybe you are preparing a cake, trying to split yolk and white, and everything mixes up >:(

Cas

I can tell from Alan's comment that Buenos Aires also has been experiencing an infernal week, like we have!

Now I'm going to say.... Cell phones. When you want to have a conversation after lunch or dinner and everybody's looking at those damned screens.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

BonzaiJoe

Mood. By the way, I can't have been the only one to think of this:

But we can't be quite sure.