News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Argentinian Stunts Meeting - June 2011

Started by alanrotoi, June 03, 2011, 09:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ursin

Quote from: afullo on February 27, 2019, 07:28:27 PM
Also Ursin, that was managed by both of you, as far as I remember from the wiki...  :P

Both of who???
Anyway, don't bother me with any Argentinian meeting or solar eclipse, I'll enjoy the summer in my homeland Slovakia.  ;D

Cas

Yes, you do well in looking for a more predictable weather. Anyway, winter is our sunny season, so we're likely to have a clean sky that day. I hope we do. So great to find another pal interested in this. I studied Physics and didn't finish, but I'm always into science.

EDIT: Oh!  One important thing, Ursin: If you're going to watch the eclipse from Mendoza, make all the research very well in advance to make sure it will be possible. The thing is Mendoza is located near the Andes mountains, to the East and the eclipse will occur in the afternoon, when the Sun is approaching the horizon, also, in the winter, so closer to the horizon than in the summer. The Andes will be just there, and they are the second highest mountain range in the world.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

afullo

Quote from: Ursin on February 27, 2019, 07:40:04 PM
Also Ursin, that was managed by both of you, as far as I remember from the wiki...  :P

Both of who???
Anyway, don't bother me with any Argentinian meeting or solar eclipse, I'll enjoy the summer in my homeland Slovakia.  ;D

http://wiki.stunts.hu/index.php?title=Ghosts#Notes

You (Usrin) and CTG...  :D

CTG

Quote from: afullo on February 28, 2019, 12:26:36 PM
Quote from: Ursin on February 27, 2019, 07:40:04 PM

Both of who???

http://wiki.stunts.hu/index.php?title=Ghosts#Notes

You (Usrin) and CTG...  :D

Actually, Usrin is existing. He's the supermaster of Thursday morning farts.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: Usrin on February 27, 2019, 12:06:01 PM
This year I'm travelling to Argentina for six days (30 June-05 July).

I am really envious...
Chürműű! :-)

816.79 km

Usrin

Quote from: Akoss Poo on February 28, 2019, 10:35:09 PM

I am really envious...

Now or never... At 36, I'm starting to be afraid that my health/financial/family situation will be rather worse in the future than now. Time to gain the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities...
Btw, my flight tickets (VIE-FRA-EZE-MDZ and back) were ~900 EUR - perhaps not fully unattainable even from HUN. (There will be a very similar opportunity with a solar eclipse in Dec 2020!) Just for seeing the southern skies, Namibia is much cheaper, I see many astro-enthusiasts travelling there. But that country does not seem too interesting for me, and does not get any solar eclipse nowadays.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: Usrin on March 21, 2019, 10:08:14 AM
Quote from: Akoss Poo on February 28, 2019, 10:35:09 PM

I am really envious...

Now or never... At 36, I'm starting to be afraid that my health/financial/family situation will be rather worse in the future than now. Time to gain the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities...
Btw, my flight tickets (VIE-FRA-EZE-MDZ and back) were ~900 EUR - perhaps not fully unattainable even from HUN. (There will be a very similar opportunity with a solar eclipse in Dec 2020!) Just for seeing the southern skies, Namibia is much cheaper, I see many astro-enthusiasts travelling there. But that country does not seem too interesting for me, and does not get any solar eclipse nowadays.

My only desire was to visit a non-European continent at least once in my lifetime, but that was fulfilled in 2011 by flying to the USA. (+ 2013: on a ship on the Bosporus, 2016: Canary Island) Now I should set a new goal, but South America or Australia/New Zealand would be too unreachable I guess (though I can afford visiting them). I'm not interested in real Asia and afraid of real Africa. Though I would like to see the Southern sky once with at least a binocular.
Chürműű! :-)

816.79 km

Cas

I never saw the Northern sky. I was in the Northern hemisphere only once, when I was in Venezuela (yes, that's right, but it was over ten years ago and things weren't yet so terrible there), but I was in the city and at night, lights were so bright that you couldn't see any stars. Anyway, I've heard many people say that the Southern sky is much more interesting, only that I've always seen it. Yes, we have the Southern Cross and the Magellan Clouds.

Again, I want to re-state what I said a few posts above: this eclipse will happen in the afternoon, when the Sun is somewhat near the horizon to the West. Mendoza is near the Andes, which will also be to the West. Because it will be winter, the Sun will be even lower at that time than it is in other parts of the year. What I mean is, there's a chance the eclipse will occur with the Sun behind the Andes if you watch it from Mendoza. Make sure that's not the case!

I've heard about the other eclipse in 2020. It's a little less accessible to me. I have to go to the South and it'll be briefer. But maybe I can go and see it too.

CTG

Quote from: Cas on March 21, 2019, 09:10:49 PM
I never saw the Northern sky. I was in the Northern hemisphere only once, when I was in Venezuela (yes, that's right, but it was over ten years ago and things weren't yet so terrible there), but I was in the city and at night, lights were so bright that you couldn't see any stars. Anyway, I've heard many people say that the Southern sky is much more interesting, only that I've always seen it. Yes, we have the Southern Cross and the Magellan Clouds.

Again, I want to re-state what I said a few posts above: this eclipse will happen in the afternoon, when the Sun is somewhat near the horizon to the West. Mendoza is near the Andes, which will also be to the West. Because it will be winter, the Sun will be even lower at that time than it is in other parts of the year. What I mean is, there's a chance the eclipse will occur with the Sun behind the Andes if you watch it from Mendoza. Make sure that's not the case!

I've heard about the other eclipse in 2020. It's a little less accessible to me. I have to go to the South and it'll be briefer. But maybe I can go and see it too.

1999-08-11, our own solar eclipse - for me, it was a "once-in-a-lifetime" experience.

Cas

Quote from: CTG1999-08-11, our own solar eclipse - for me, it was a "once-in-a-lifetime" experience.

Yes, I've loved astronomy since I can remember and I've never seen a total solar eclipse live. I'm sure I'd have that same feeling. If it happens to be cloudy (which is unlikely because of the season), I'll travel wherever necessary to watch one, but I really hope I can see it well here :)

Usrin

Quote from: Cas on March 21, 2019, 09:10:49 PM

Mendoza is actually south of the path of the total eclipse, so I'm going north of San Juan for watching it. I see that the low altitude of Sun (~10°) can make it tricky - I'll check the possible viewing sites on Google Earth & Street View.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.