News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts and music (again)

Started by BonzaiJoe, October 08, 2011, 06:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonzaiJoe

So many songs remind me of racing on Stunts tracks - on the roads through a whole album, maybe trying the same trick over and over again during a certain song... And when I listen to the songs again, visions appear of Stunts landscapes (Stunts has landscapes!) from tracks I don't remember now. A loop, a bridge to the left, green grass all around - or a small hill with a corner after it and then another hill... It's as if Stunts has its own space, and the music goes into this space and begins to belong there, and when you visit the music, you also visit the Stunts track. Some albums then remind me of success, others of eager competition with many motivated pipsqueaks, others of casual or absent-minded racing with a light feeling. Some songs remind me of long and lonely nights of frustrated replay handling, perhaps with an absolution at the end and then sweet sleep.
I'm listening to Erasure - Waiting For Sex, and I remember a sequence with a corkscrew, from some ISM track. There are so many tracks and so many parts of tracks which belong to different times. Some have a distinct feeling of nostalgia, almost mythical if they're from 2002 or 2001 - the tracks hold small clues about how life was then and how I was then. Small portholes to other memories from the same ages.
Some tracks are timeless, like Default. The thought patterns unlocked by racing on Default are not locked in time but in revolve around Stunts culture and the culture of competing with myself.

Music has always been a historian, keeping records of your life in a library that you can visit if you've forgotten it yourself. But Stunts is also such a historian. If I have to remember what October 2002 was like, for example, I think: ZCT18. I could even go have a race on it.

What songs or albums do you connect with Stunts, and what Stunts tracks do you connect with moments in your life?

But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Which album?

WSM 2004 - Chili beans in pina  ;D

alanrotoi

Disc: Dover - I was dead for 7 weeks in the city of angels

zaqrack

Even  though earlier I preferred racing listening to music, in the past years I found myself playing with sound effects only.
In some cases I started Stunts only to hear that wonderful sound of screeching tires.

That sound effect is the essence of Stunts for me.
And stranegly, one of my most nostalgic memories with Stunts go way back before the ZakStunts or even the internet era - playing and designing insanely long tracks in the basement of my friend, on BB1.0 and a 386 computer around 1996... That is something really precious to me.

If I think on online racing, I rather remember the WSMs and all the friends I have met here. And I feel really lucky. 

JTK

I never heard music when racing Stunts, sorry. Except the Stunts game soundtrack, of course! :)
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I always listen to the sound effects of the car during Stunts racing. No music to connect to Stunts in my mind, maybe apart from the legendary Velvet Underground song. :)
Chürműű! :-)

816.79 km

SuperBrian

Quote from: Akoss Poo on October 21, 2011, 10:45:56 AM
I always listen to the sound effects of the car during Stunts racing.
¨

Me too, sometimes I feel it important to hear if for instance I touch the grass or road which is relevant when jumping into corners of chicanes.. Although I can be tired of hearing the menu-music after a crash.

Actually me and my brother have talked about how cool the menu-music could be with real guitar, keyboard etc. though, the versions you can find on Youtube sucks..
Charles Dickens said: "An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself."