News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Estimation game

Started by CTG, October 22, 2011, 10:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usrin

Wow, what a surprise! Especially question 11, where I didn't expect to be so close. I had no clue on the volume of water, so I used a rough approach. I assumed that water covers 71% of Earth's surface with an average thickness of 3.8 km, and rounded the last digits up several times during the calculation (to "add" lakes and rivers).

CTG: I'm afraid that in the middle of an >1000 km sphere, density is rather a function of pressure than of T and salinity. :)
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Usrin

Now I'm starting to think about the new set of questions... I'll post them probably on Monday.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: Usrin on July 25, 2014, 03:47:07 PM
Now I'm starting to think about the new set of questions... I'll post them probably on Monday.

Yesterday?
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on July 30, 2014, 10:12:43 AM
Quote from: Usrin on July 25, 2014, 03:47:07 PM

Yesterday?

All my troubles seemed so far away?

Usrin

For many pipsqueaks it is still Monday... so here are the new questions! Thanks for your patience! :)

Deadline: 25 Aug 2014, 16:00 UTC.

1. Average fuel consumption of my car on the way from my workplace to home, 12 August (l/100 km, measured with the board computer).
2. Number of people living in countries with no sea coast.
3. Boiling point of water at the lowest sea level pressure ever recorded.
4. Distance of the furthest object I've ever seen through a telescope (light years).
5. Yearly potato consumption per capita in the United Kingdom, 2005.
6. Length of the world's longest straight paved road.
7. Number of goals scored by the champion of the Armenian Premier League (football) in the 2013/14 season.
8. Total weight of a Trabant 601 Limousine.
9. Number of matches in the longest undefeated streak in the history of North American professional sport leagues.
10. Density of hydrogen cyanide at room temperature (g/cm3).
11. Number of nights I've ever spent in Slovakia.
12. Length of the longest train ever run in the world.
13. Heel height of the shoes my wife wore for our wedding.

+1. Minimum speed needed for driving a REAL Corvette ZR1 around a loop with diameter of 30 m.

CTG

Quote from: Usrin on August 12, 2014, 12:27:35 AM
8. Total weight of a Trabant 601 Limousine.

I have it in Stunts mass unit... ::)
http://forum.stunts.hu/index.php?topic=2235.msg56110#msg56110

Quote from: Usrin on August 12, 2014, 12:27:35 AM
+1. Minimum speed needed for driving a REAL Corvette ZR1 around a loop with diameter of 30 m.

Birdman attack!!! ;D

zaqrack

Quote3. Boiling point of water at the lowest sea level pressure ever recorded.

do you mean at 0m altitude at the ever recorded lowest air pressure, or at the lowest bottom of the sea where it was ever tried to boil water?

CTG

Quote from: zaqrack on August 12, 2014, 08:50:31 AM

do you mean at 0m altitude at the ever recorded lowest air pressure, or at the lowest bottom of the sea where it was ever tried to boil water?

AIR pressure! Just take the lowest air pressure ever recorded and calculate the boiling point of water from its' vapor pressure equation. Too bad, I have already forgotten some constants to do that... :D

Usrin

Quote from: zaqrack on August 12, 2014, 08:50:31 AM

CTG is right - the term "sea level pressure" is used for air pressure at 0 m altitude (sea level).

CTG

Usrin

Already 2 sets of answers in my mailbox - but I still have to measure/calculate/look up the correct value for 4 questions. :)

zaqrack

Duplode

My poor guesses have just been sent  ::) :)

Usrin

Quote from: Duplode on August 25, 2014, 03:00:04 AM
My poor guesses have just been sent  ::) :)

Received, thanks! Btw, this is a REMINDER for everybody - the deadline is today!

Usrin

The deadline is extended to tomorrow (26 Aug, 16:00 CET) - I'm still hoping to get more tips, especially from Argentina and from Slovakia!