News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Estimation game

Started by CTG, October 22, 2011, 10:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on September 15, 2014, 08:45:47 PM
Quote from: CTG on September 15, 2014, 08:16:59 PM
Quote from: Akoss Poo on September 11, 2014, 03:05:45 PM
Btw Wikipedia says

HCN: Boiling point   25.6 to 26.6 °C; 78.0 to 79.8 °F; 298.7 to 299.7 K

Room temperature

Scientific use
For scientific work, room temperature is taken to be about 20 to 26 degrees Celsius with an average of 23°C (about 73.4 degrees Fahrenheit (°F), 293 to 299 kelvins (K), or 528 to 537 degrees Rankine (°R)).[4] For numerical convenience, either 20 °C (68 °F) or 300 K (80 °F) is often used, without being specified as "room temperature". However, room temperature is not a defined scientific term, unlike Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP); admittedly, STP has several slightly different definitions.

So at taking the higher values of 'room temperature' into account, HCN can be considered as a gas at room temperature. So both the gas and the liquid densities should be accepted as a correct answer, I think.

That's why it is not a good idea to ask a beugratós kérdés with a scientifically undetermined term (e.g. "room temperature) in it.

Room temperature means 25°C in laboratory practice. However, Russians say 20°C... :D

There is no scientific term 'room temperature', see my previous post. Sometimes it is said that it is up to 27°C. I see that at 25°C it is a liquid... but no-one says that it is unambiguous that scientifically the room temperature is 25°C...

I just said that USUALLY it means 25°C in laboratory slang.

Usrin

Quote from: Akoss Poo on September 15, 2014, 08:45:47 PM
There is no scientific term 'room temperature', see my previous post. Sometimes it is said that it is up to 27°C. I see that at 25°C it is a liquid... but no-one says that it is unambiguous that scientifically the room temperature is 25°C...

Honestly: was your tip so close to zero because (a) you guessed it boils below 25°C or (b) you thought that room temperature can be above 25°C?
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I thought it blows below 25 oC, but still, my tip is right since room temperature can be considered a value between 20-27 oC on the basis of scientific data.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on September 15, 2014, 10:06:06 PM
I thought it blows below 25 oC, but still, my tip is right since room temperature can be considered a value between 20-27 oC on the basis of scientific data.

petty arguement for a single point in a fun (but useless) game

Quote from: CTG on September 15, 2014, 10:43:43 PM
Quote from: Akoss Poo on September 15, 2014, 10:06:06 PM

This is not about that...

629.09 km

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on September 15, 2014, 10:43:43 PM
Surprised?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

I fight for my points this way instead of googling like some people do...

629.09 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on September 16, 2014, 09:21:53 AM

Akinek nem inge... :D (btw 22:41)

Usrin

For those who feel the evaluation of question 10 unfair (as room temperature was not clearly defined), I'm announcing the result without this question. It is not more and not less official than the previous one, as the term official would be ridiculous in a "serious" game like this.

1. CaxTheGoogleMaster 7
2. Zak McKracken 2 (3 second, 5 third places)
3. Akoss Poo 2 (3 second, 1 third places)
4. Duplode 1 (3 second places)
5. Chulk 1 (2 second places)
6. Bonzai Joe 1 (no second place)

Btw, it is always possible to ask for clarifications about the questions before the deadline - as I did about CTG's question with the sunshine hours. I hope that nobody will defend a ridiculously low value as "correct answer" for this question, just because it was possible to misunderstand it as monthly value instead of yearly...

Chulk

Quote from: Akoss Poo on September 16, 2014, 09:21:53 AM
This accusation for which there is no confirmation or even strong clues at all is at least ironic coming from a confessed cheater, don't you think?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Actually I find this argument about a single point very childish and fuckin' useless. This is still for fun - not a bloody contest (however, for one of us it is). But if you think it's more than that, it would be better to close this topic and forget this game forever.

Okay, the definition of "room temperature" is not the most exact one, but as a gold standard, it is accepted as 25°C in science (20°C in other countries, e.g. Russia, where you can't provide a higher average temperature in laboratories; that's why they use 20°C stability or solubility tests for pharmaceutical ingredients instead of the well-accepted European/US 25°C tests). What you found was the most advantageous version for yourself - see also your Stunts tracks, just take a look at your results on your own circuits vs any other designer's results on their own tracks*; or your crying about the point systems of any games that you can't win.

But you know what? Your beloved Wikipedia says "In more rigorous scientific contexts, it may denote the range between 20 and 26 °C (68 and 79 °F), with an average of 23 °C (73 °F).", while boiling point of HCN is 25.6°C. Taking the whole "room temperature" interval, only 6.7% percent of that covers the gas phase. So, why don't you apply for 0.067 pt? That's the maximum you deserve, even with the best case scenario. :D

* could be a good base of some nice useless stats

CTG

Quote from: CTG on September 11, 2014, 03:49:39 PM
4, Weight of an empty bottle of Somersby cider (!hint: volume is 0.33 l)

It might fluctuate a bit, so I'm going to take the average of the last 10 bottles.

Duplode

CTG

Quote from: CTG on September 11, 2014, 03:49:39 PM
+1, My top speed on the ground with any vehicles, EXCLUDING plane take-offs

And excluding landings, too... :D (skid you Usrin :D)

Usrin

Quote from: CTG on September 23, 2014, 08:47:34 PM
And excluding landings, too... :D (skid you Usrin :D)

I think it's better to ask it now than later - see the Big Room Temperature Debate!  :D