News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Money

Started by zaqrack, January 13, 2012, 01:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaqrack

Funny how different languages express how to receive salary for work:

English are earning money (earn money)
Germans are deserving money (Geld verdienen)
French are winning money (gagner de l'argent)
Hungarians are searching for money (pénzt keresni)

what are your expressions? :)

CTG

Chinese?  ;D

Btw expressions are funny (and typical). But not only from this aspect: just read the text of national anthems and listen to their music. The Hungarian is a nice one - as a requiem.

alanrotoi

- Ganar dinero (Castellano)

Duplode

Ganhar dinheiro (Português) - pretty much the same as in Spanish, as you can see. Literal translation in English would be "to win money".

BonzaiJoe

Actually the French are winning silver.

In Denmark, we kind of "deserve/serve" money. We say, "tjene", which means "earn", but it's the same word as "serve", although in serving it is never used in that active indicative form. "Betjene" means serve, "Fortjene" means deserve. The "be" prefix has roughly the same meaning as in English, while the "for" prefix means something different, often something about pulling something into a fixed state or doing something all the way through.
But we can't be quite sure.

BonzaiJoe

Actually, the only case in which we use "tjene" in that ordinary form and don't talk about earning money is when talking about military service. You "tjener" (earn) money because you "tjener" (serve) in the military.

JTK

Quote from: zaqrack on January 13, 2012, 01:48:49 PM
Germans are deserving money (Geld verdienen)

"Geld verdienen" is right but the translation "to deserve" is far too literal. The right word ist "to earn". In things of money "verdienen" is not the same like:
- "Du verdienst 200 EUR." instead of
- "Du verdienst Schläge!"

An old German expression for the money we get for work is "Verdienst", more common is "Gehalt" (earnings). I think all these "old" German word with "Dienst", "dienen" and so on comes from the Prussian burocratism tradition, where you really serve (the state). For example my employment contract is unusually, but possibly called "Dienstvertrag". Being a functionary or an officer you still "serve" in the "öffentlicher Dienst" but not as an employee. So "verdienen" is said but "to earn" is meant (and by far not winning or searching).
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

Oscar

"Guanyar diners" in catalan ;)

alanrotoi

CTG

Jajaja, Real sucked. AGAIN! ;D

BonzaiJoe

Subtly appropriate in the "Money" thread.

Viva Barcelona!

CTG

Money, different point of view: which one is your favorite coin / banknote from your own country (historical or current one)?

zaqrack

2000HUF. Love the color and layout.

CTG

My favorite coin is the old "bélás". Small, simple, but somehow I liked it very much. :D

Banknote... it's a bit harder. Another oldie from the communist era.