News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts is realistic, in Luxembourg

Started by Overdrijf, April 19, 2012, 09:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrijf

Today something happened to me, something that would change my outlook on life itself. Since I'm such a attention whore social person, I'd like to share my discovery with all of you.

I came across a picture of the outline of a real life racetrack, and I thought to myself "hé, that looks like something I could make in Stunts". So of course, I did. Below is a picture of the result, next to the real track, to scale (the yellow lines are 19 tiles or 19*205=3895 feet long). Both have an outline of the track placed over the picture. Okay, fair enough, the outline matches better with the real track than with the Stunts one, but there's definately a resemblance (I could make it fit better by removing that last chicane and moving the whole straightahead to the left one tile, but since the large corner in the middle gets blown up anyway I feel this captures the spirit of it just as well).

But the real revelation here to me is that I always found myself complaining about how there are no large corners in stunts, you always have to slow down so much (unless you use banked corners, which I always did a lot). Turns out that for racetrack turns, they're actually pretty much dead on. And yes, real racetracks are all about slowing down in the corners, but still, looking at this I guess Stunts is more realistic than I've always thought after all.

The track is the Goodyear test track in Colmar-Berg, Luxembourg (practically in the back yard of the grand duke, I guess his royal majesty likes the ambient sound of screeching tyres). But besides being a test track at times it's also used for actual races. The length of the track is supposed to be 3260 meter or 2.026 miles. Experiments with my time and average speed arround the track reveal my version is probably between 1,95 and 2.20 miles long (yes, that's a big margin, looking at the outline I'dd say a bit longer than the real thing wouldn't be a bad guess).

My only regret is I can't find laptimes I could try to beat anywhere. Too bad, I'd really hoped to be the first Stunts pipsqueak to beat a real one. ;)

TL;DR: Wow, stunts corners are actually like the real thing!

zaqrack

Nice work! Tune it up with some nice stunts and scenery, and we have a good candidate for a great ZakStunts track this season :)

we already had some real-life tracks earlier:
ZCTP3 (from 2002) resembles the Hungaroring, and we had a copy of the BMX traxk found in front of our house, and also in some manner ZCT44, Euro Zone too :)

Friker

Good job! :) here is an video from that track http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=CP4rB3OO9V4&NR=1 - from 0:20 to 1:53 - that is 1 lap in veteran car.. :)

Friker

CTG

IMSA Cup also had some realistic tracks. USL too.

USL 2010, Monza

USL 2008, Montreal

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Water in Monza, is it really realistic?  :-X
Chürműű! :-)

917.47 km

CTG

Quote from: Akoss Poo on April 20, 2012, 05:47:07 PM
Water in Monza, is it really realistic?  :-X

Flood. :D (Monza Closed, the easiest way to avoid shortcuts - too bad, Gutix was smarter than the track designer)

Overdrijf

Wow, Stunts has been realistic for a long time I see.

Overdrijf

Quote from: Friker on April 20, 2012, 04:43:33 PM
Good job! :) here is an video from that track http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=CP4rB3OO9V4&NR=1 - from 0:20 to 1:53 - that is 1 lap in veteran car.. :)

That's another track, also a testtrack, and apparently near a French town also called Colmar. (Your second replay was the one I meant.)

I found some laps and stuff, including one I can't refind now to post it here, but for some reason I expected to be able to track a track record relatively easily. But apparently, that sort of data is only tracked for serious tracks. Mwah, I don't like serious tracks anyway. ;)