News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZCT 136 - Randomizer

Started by dreadnaut, November 01, 2012, 05:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

There appear to be three layers to a Stunts race: not having the faintest idea that something can actually be done (e.g., reach powergear in ~5 tiles), knowing that something can be done but not how (e.g., keep powergear through the switch), and improving on something that one can do (take less time).

The third layer is where professional drivers fight for tenths of seconds.

The second level is where the game gets interesting, where one needs to come up with cool combinations of tricks and new ways to drive through the track.

The first step is the most frustrating and is probably where newbies slam their faces: how many tries would it take to rediscover bugs, or how many old replays would one have to go through? Being sibylline about it doesn't exactly help ;)

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on November 05, 2012, 03:21:22 PM
Powergear at the beginning of the banked road? On the straight path? With the Acura? :shock:

Okay, not exactly the beginning, but you can have ~140 mph after landing on the banked road. And after that in any lucky case (small magic carpet, good touch of the road's edge, etc.), you'll be able to complete the banked road in powergear.

CTG

Quote from: CTG on November 06, 2012, 03:47:24 PM
Quote from: dreadnaut on November 05, 2012, 03:21:22 PM
Powergear at the beginning of the banked road? On the straight path? With the Acura? :shock:

Okay, not exactly the beginning, but you can have ~140 mph after landing on the banked road. And after that in any lucky case (small magic carpet, good touch of the road's edge, etc.), you'll be able to complete the banked road in powergear.

On one hand, I did it. On the other hand, the car desperately jumped out of the corner. :D

SuperBrian

Quote from: dreadnaut on November 06, 2012, 02:10:12 PM

The third layer is where professional drivers fight for tenths of seconds.

The second level is where the game gets interesting, where one needs to come up with cool combinations of tricks and new ways to drive through the track.

The first step is the most frustrating and is probably where newbies slam their faces: how many tries would it take to rediscover bugs, or how many old replays would one have to go through? Being sibylline about it doesn't exactly help ;)

The most frustrating part is when you have saved 12 replays showing different ways of making a new trick (only halfways) and then in the end of the month have abandoned the idea, because it just don't work and takes to much time - and then in the very end of the month see Ayrton performing the exact same trick to perfection.
Charles Dickens said: "An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself."

alanrotoi

CTG

dreadnaut

Does the good way has anything to do with hitting a loop at the right angle? I'd rather not spend another evening on the same tile ???

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on November 19, 2012, 12:05:42 AM
Does the good way has anything to do with hitting a loop at the right angle? I'd rather not spend another evening on the same tile ???

Sssssssssssssssh!!! ;D

Is there a loop anyway?

dreadnaut

Well... I meant the cork, the spinny buggy thing that sends you in every possible direction :)

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on November 19, 2012, 12:20:57 AM
Well... I meant the cork, the spinny buggy thing that sends you in every possible direction :)

You got it. Well, it's quite obvious - and hard to perfect.

Krys TOFF

Quote from: zaqrack on November 02, 2012, 12:06:50 AM
You are still forbidden to drive in reverse direction (imagine Bernie will frontally crash you if you do so.)
If I drive with Bernie as opponent and I manage to avoid crashing on him, can I drive in reverse direction ? ;D

CTG

Quote from: Krys TOFF on November 19, 2012, 12:45:04 PM
Quote from: zaqrack on November 02, 2012, 12:06:50 AM
You are still forbidden to drive in reverse direction (imagine Bernie will frontally crash you if you do so.)
If I drive with Bernie as opponent and I manage to avoid crashing on him, can I drive in reverse direction ? ;D

;D ;D ;D

dreadnaut

Quote from: CTG on November 19, 2012, 07:43:27 AM

After a few dozens of (random —cough) tries I actually managed to get inside the cork, face the right direction and not explode!  Little detail still to fix: my speed drops to zero >:(

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on November 19, 2012, 04:42:59 PM
Quote from: CTG on November 19, 2012, 07:43:27 AM

After a few dozens of (random —cough) tries I actually managed to get inside the cork, face the right direction and not explode!  Little detail still to fix: my speed drops to zero >:(

H

E

L

I

C

O

P

T

E

R

(and you will be in powergear even in the cork)

dreadnaut

Hahahahah thank you, I got that part here :)

I thought I was coptering, but probably it's just sliding + carpet then. Mmmmmh.... (goes back to dosbox)