News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

EA FIFA series

Started by CTG, November 03, 2012, 11:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

I'm surprised to see we had no topic of these great games so far.

FIFA 2009 era again, now I'm with PSG. French championship sucks...

alanrotoi

CTG

Chulk

PES was much better a few years back. Now, EA managed to copy almost the entire game and they are pretty much the same today...
PES 6 is the best football game ever IMO (I challenge anybody to beat me and Czech Rep. in PES 6)
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Duplode

Quote from: Chulk on November 04, 2012, 07:40:48 PM
PES 6 is the best football game ever IMO (I challenge anybody to beat me and Czech Rep. in PES 6)

FIFA 2004, on the other hand, is the worst one - or at least bad enough to keep me away from the series for years  ;D Recent FIFAs appear to be decent games, however; no clue about current PESs.

alanrotoi

You don't know anything about football if you didn't play Striker :D

Chulk

Quote from: alanrotoi on November 05, 2012, 02:22:58 AM
You don't know anything about football if you didn't play Striker :D

You're right! I had this on SNES and I have great memories of staying up all night long playing this with my brothers and friends. We even had customized teams as Gimnasia (Brazil, used by me), Estudiantes (Denmark, used by my oldest brother) and Independiente (Germany, used by my older brother) shirts, names and all. Really a great game, I can still remember the music completely (actually... downloading it for ringtone purposes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72n92dPBSRs

Other football game we played a lot on NES (with a fantastic BGM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syc4xBypwqU

alanrotoi

alanrotoi

I played Striker for about two or three year then I started with Striker 95!

The same but hundred of teams to edit :) and a "better" engine. So again I edited the whole indonesian league I invented back in 1990 and first edit of the main teams was on Striker. I remember you had many faces types, noses, etc. to set up your players.
In 1996 born a bad game called Striker '96. Very bad game, it had nice menus, sounds (I remember the sounds where .wav files so I changed the "kick" sound for the sound for artillery firing from Civilization II, it was fun), etc. I didn't like it at all :(

It passed many year until a football game liked me. So it came PES 4, was a revolution this game, so again I edited (only one team this time because no motivation to set up a whole league with faces, bodies, height, etc.) So I created the national team of Indonesia :). I created another team to play against. They had 99/99 in all the abilities, the hardest team in the game.

I still love PES 4 menu music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwhmlYZ1yo

BonzaiJoe

I played that! I had almost forgotten about it.
As far as I recall, it was quite entertaining, but you could only score goals in the same few quite easy ways. There were 9 good teams and the rest were really bad.
But we can't be quite sure.

alanrotoi

That's right, the best teams were wich had two strikers with speed 5. Argentina, Brazil, Germany and I guess England too. Spain has only one, Butragueño.

Chulk

I remember playing Taffarel as a center midfielder because he was the faster player in Brazil. I know Rasmussen was just as fast in Denmark... don't remember who was the fastest in Germany though

alanrotoi

Don't make me install it again xD

Chulk

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on November 05, 2012, 10:04:31 PM
I played that! I had almost forgotten about it.
As far as I recall, it was quite entertaining, but you could only score goals in the same few quite easy ways.
Not really... The easiest goal was a crossing and then a header aiming at the post the GK was not guarding, but that was easy to defend once you played enough. I played 5-4-1, and the center back always stood between the attacker and the keeper, so you could use that player to stop the header to one post, while the keeper guarded the other post.
As you can actually change the ball direction and speed after shooting (not after a header or an overhead kick, but after shooting with the ball in control), with enough practice, you could curve the ball enough to score even from a corner kick. Those where hard to defend...

Quote from: alanrotoi on November 06, 2012, 03:13:30 PM
Don't make me install it again xD
Do it, do it, do it!

BonzaiJoe

I remember that. The curling effect was quite exaggerated for the best players. I used to shoot from very far out and try to guide the ball right up to the corner and fool the goalkeeper. I usually just scored by either dribbling around the keeper or by running towards the back line a little outside the goal frame and then shoot the ball into the far corner of the goal once inside the penalty area. Maybe that didn't work against the best teams...

I like how the goal scorer celebrated differently if the goal was really good.
But we can't be quite sure.