News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Cars and bonuses for 2013

Started by Duplode, December 15, 2012, 04:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Coming on the heels of the fruitful thread about the 2013 pointsystem, here is a topic for discussing the bonus system and other car-related rules. I will begin by proposing a discussion about new (and old) cars for the next season.

---

Given that in all likelihood there will be new cars in ZakStunts 2013 (Melange, and possibly the McLaren), we should consider whether we will continue to increase the number of cars without bound.  My opinion on that issue is that we should stop at 16 cars total (11 original + 5 custom), due to three main reasons:

• Adding cars will affect the balance of the bonus system, as more points will be exchanged overall after every race. Countering that by reducing the bonuses will only get harder as more cars are included.
  • The interval between races with the same car, which can be quite large already, will also grow.
  • It seems appropriate that the number of custom cars remains significantly lower than 11. I feel that in this case it makes sense to be a little conservative; simplicity and accessibility to newcomers can also be seen as motivating concerns.
If we limit the number of cars to 16 or some other value, one question which follows immediately is whether any scheme for rotating the custom cars (e.g. swapping X cars  every Y years) will be put in place.

CTG

I suggest a poll to select 5 custom cars. Candidates (feel free to add new options):

Ferrari F40
Ford Ranger
Lotus Esprit Turbo
McLaren (Zapper's McLaren Honda?)
Melange XGT-88
Speedgate XSD
Superkart

My custom cars are way too slow (Ikarus, Skoda) or far from ready. But Porsche Spyder, Subaru Impreza and Pontiac Firebird Transam seem to be promising (maybe for another competition).

CTG

Weird idea, but what about a competition with handicap system, like the podiumers should not use the car with the highest bonus in the following month.

Friker

Quote from: CTG on December 17, 2012, 08:34:49 AM
Weird idea, but what about a competition with handicap system, like the podiumers should not use the car with the highest bonus in the following month.

No

Quote from: Duplode on December 15, 2012, 04:57:41 AM
Given that in all likelihood there will be new cars in ZakStunts 2013 (Melange, and possibly the McLaren), we should consider whether we will continue to increase the number of cars without bound.  My opinion on that issue is that we should stop at 16 cars total (11 original + 5 custom) ...
I agree.
I would stop at 15 (even now the system is not very stable) and choose from all cars, not only bonus ones.

Quote from: Duplode on December 15, 2012, 04:57:41 AM
If we limit the number of cars to 16 or some other value, one question which follows immediately is whether any scheme for rotating the custom cars (e.g. swapping X cars  every Y years) will be put in place.

Non-podiumers (until November) will be racing next year for sure, there will be a poll about the others (in December).

At point system thing: points per races and LTB bonus stay unchanged, scratch out the worst 3 results and EB 1-2-4.

zaqrack

my bet for custom cars in 2013:

we keep 16 cars this year due to the reasons you listed. I definitely want to reintroduce the Melange and also include the McLaren.
So we need to drop two cars: one is the Superkart because it had a controversial reception and a bit sticking out from the rest in terms of realistic approach.
The other shall beither either the Speedgate or the Skyline, as these are included since 2009 as opposed to the Lotus and the F40, which are newer.

And here I was mostly unable to decide. Both have lovers and haters and both are with us since 2009. I was leaning towards dropping the skyline to favor faster cars (due to popular demand). But it felt unfair.

Then I was considering to drop both and introduce a third new car - but which? The xylocaine is not well qualified IMHO, the Toyotas are too slow, others either used formerly or not yet finished. So it came down to the LWT-ZR1 and the Porsche 911 Turbo. Both are quite similar to some original cars, first I decided on the Porsche 911 Turbo, because it was never used in any competition formerly. It is suprisingly different from the Carrera and a good replacement for the Skyline.
But lat minute I modified for the LWT-ZR1 because its handling and behavior is much more different from the ZR1, and also it is bridging the "IMSA gap" and can be well paired with the F40.

So bid farewell for the Skyline and the Speedgate and say hello to the custom cars of ZakStunts 2013:

Lotus Esprit
Ferrari F40
Melange XGT-88
McLaren Honda
LWT-ZR1 Corvette

Friker

One good thing about Skyline was that it has real top speed "only" 200mph. I guess new cars have around 240mph. But I am here alone who loves slow cars.

Will you make a pack with game and all allowed cars? :)

zaqrack

Quote from: Friker on January 02, 2013, 11:06:43 PM
One good thing about Skyline was that it has real top speed "only" 200mph. I guess new cars have around 240mph. But I am here alone who loves slow cars.

Will you make a pack with game and all allowed cars? :)

you are not alone :)
the car pack and game pack is already up. the track is being uploaded now and the system upgrade is close to complete.

Duplode

Excellent rationale for the car choices, Zak. I already expected to see Skyline dropped due to its popularity (or lack thereof); and anyway it enjoyed a colourful enough spell as a ZakStunts car (being the car of choice for Z100 *and* being driven in a début victory is more than anyone could ask). Speedgate's fate is a little more unfortunate, although keeping it alongside the McLaren might shift the balance too much towards fast cars given that we are also including the Melange. What took me completely by surprise, however, was the selection of the GT3 :) :)