News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stressed updates

Started by CTG, January 11, 2013, 03:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTG

I just realized that Stressed is quite outdated on my computer (0.1.0, r51 or so). Is there a link to download a compact pack of the newest version? I've found only a long list of additional (?) files for each improvements (quite a lot up to r69).

dstien

I'll see if I can whip up some updated binaries in the foreseeable future. A majority of the post 0.1.0 commits are likely just OCD code sanitation, though.

dstien

Heh, that didn't even take a month to accomplish. Updated the builds thread with version 0.2.1. Looks like a few Qt things have changed for the better during the last 5 years. Cross-compilation was a breeze. Even managed to link the dependencies statically, so now the numerous DLLs are replaced with one humongous EXE file.

Duplode

Quote from: dstien on January 21, 2013, 12:42:47 AM
Heh, that didn't even take a month to accomplish. Updated the builds thread with version 0.2.1. Looks like a few Qt things have changed for the better during the last 5 years. Cross-compilation was a breeze. Even managed to link the dependencies statically, so now the numerous DLLs are replaced with one humongous EXE file.

That's encouraging! I will test cross-compiling it in the way you describe once I am done with rearranging my environment (just moved from Fedora to Arch, after five long years).

dstien

Quote from: Duplode on January 22, 2013, 12:47:16 PM
I will test cross-compiling it in the way you describe once I am done with rearranging my environment (just moved from Fedora to Arch, after five long years).

But... I hardly described anything. Well, here's my Qt config:
./configure -prefix ~/build/qt/inst -opensource -confirm-license -release -static -xplatform win32-g++ -device-option CROSS_COMPILE=i686-pc-mingw32- -nomake tests -nomake examples -no-sql-odbc -no-sql-sqlite -no-javascript-jit -no-accessibility -qt-zlib -qt-libpng -qt-libjpeg -no-openssl -qt-pcre -no-audio-backend

Where -prefix foo is the prefix for the install paths and CROSS_COMPILE is the prefix of the toolchain command names. There's probably room for improvement on what to exclude from the build. When all is compiled just generate new makefiles for stressed with qmake from the install path and make as usual to build with the alternative libs and toolchain.

CTG

If I try to edit OPP[number].PRE files, Stressed can't recognize the 'lose' part. Whatever I choose from 'opening as...' list, saving the file after modification will result a crash in opponent's selection menu. How can I avoid it, if I want to edit the opponents' performance?

dstien

Quote from: CTG on January 23, 2013, 08:37:15 AM
If I try to edit OPP[number].PRE files, Stressed can't recognize the 'lose' part. Whatever I choose from 'opening as...' list, saving the file after modification will result a crash in opponent's selection menu. How can I avoid it, if I want to edit the opponents' performance?
lose is an animation. To get it recognized automatically you can delete %APPDATA%\stuntstools\stressed.ini to get the settings regenerated. Since .PRE files are packed, you'll have to save as .RES. I guess we should try to merge the config when launching, and add a dummy compression header when saving as a packed file. Well, well.

CTG

Quote from: dstien on January 23, 2013, 10:12:28 AM
Quote from: CTG on January 23, 2013, 08:37:15 AM
lose is an animation. To get it recognized automatically you can delete %APPDATA%\stuntstools\stressed.ini to get the settings regenerated. Since .PRE files are packed, you'll have to save as .RES. I guess we should try to merge the config when launching, and add a dummy compression header when saving as a packed file. Well, well.

Thank you, I'll try!

Edit: dunno what happened, but it started to work without any modification.  :o

CTG

It seems stressed can take the place of Nailwood's CarBlaster. However, there are a lot of things to do with this function. Suggestions:

- the hexeditor part for car???.res should be bookmarked (which byte belongs to torque curve, weight, steering wheel dot position, whatever)
- HEX-DEC switching option
- automatic calculations from car parameters: performance curve in HP, acceleration curve, flat track top speed (for each gears), brake power value in m/s2

If you also integrate a track editor, it will be far the greatest additional program ever created for Stunts (it already is, although - being an old-fashioned guy - I prefer the DOS design of Nailwood softwares).

Serious advantage: stressed can handle all the RES files - even if there's "only" .VSH and .3SH coupled to that (CB can't open them without .pvs and .p3s).

dstien

I don't have any plans to improve the hex editing capabilities of stressed. What you describe could be done in a real hex editor with data templates. But I am working on tuning support for stressed. First version will just have a single control for editing for each available value, plus some visual guidance. Then we'll see how we can add convenient unit conversions and such. I guess Duplode have quite a few ideas about that. :)

As for a track editor, I don't know. There are some embedded track files in TEDIT.PRE for the terrain presets, though...

CTG

This is... uhm... well... AWESOME!!!  :o ;)

Duplode

That is a long-awaited screenshot  :)

CTG

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on February 08, 2013, 07:59:09 PM

And a long-awaited release... when? ::)

nurse

Quote from: CTG on June 26, 2013, 10:21:51 AM
Quote from: Duplode on February 08, 2013, 07:59:09 PM

And a long-awaited release... when? ::)

Indeed. Sorry if necroposting.  :-\ Just trying to keep this topic from completely dying.
Oh, that's nasty.