News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Modern system native Stunts proto-engine

Started by Cas, September 22, 2018, 11:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Daniel3D

Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Hey, that sounds good!  With the actual meaning of the word (as nowadays many people use "legacy" to mean "old", but that's not what it means). Also, my "Beyond the fence" could be a subtitle used sometimes.

And I like that about giving the engine itself a more specific name :)  I could rename this topic or start a new one. I feel more like starting a new one, because the engine starts to take shape and I'd like to:

- Place a web address from which you could download the project or contribute to it
- Have a starting post with the details on the current status of the project

I have a notabug.org account where I've uploaded Bliss. I am not accustomed to using version control, but I could either start learning or I could just use it in its most basic form to exchange the code and that's it. I could even make my own contribution site if it became more comfortable, anyway... I can do some PHP, but I think it'll be OK with this forum plus notabug. The thing is that this project will require a lots of exchanging data files such as 3D models, tracks, etc., not as much as the code itself. The forum allows for file exchange, but too much of it would not be good for the server... This is a forum after all and main purpose is communication, not file exchange. And version control is good for exchanging source code, but again, not for data files. What would you guys suggest?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Maybe an FTP for file management. E.g. ftp.stunts.hu and only accessable for (selected) forum. members??
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Uhm... Well, for now, I uploaded it to the repo. In any case, we can use e-mail, but a data file shared storage space would be great. I'll create the new topic

Daniel3D

Quote from: Daniel3D on August 05, 2020, 11:31:25 PM
Maybe an FTP for file management. E.g. ftp.stunts.hu and only accessable for (selected) forum. members??
Or a Gmail project email, then we can use Google drive for file's.

EDIT: maybe a good starting point. We can always move the data.
And it's easy to set different read, write and modify rights.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

llm

the engine/game needs to be in a more useable/playable state before make the big web and community stuff - for now i think the forum/and his is way enough
most development usually happens privately between interessted developers

todays development is done on github/gitlab - everythings free, including web-hosting, compiler-farm etc. most open source projects are on any of these two

but i say: if you keep it based on freebasic you will not get any of the active coders in this forum - because all of them - including me using C/C++ :)

Daniel3D

I won't be of much help programming wise anyway.
But I am a decent (albeit very rusty) 3D modeller and have graphic design experience.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Overdrijf

Since the other Powergear is some fancy lights for your kitchen brand we could still use that name for a racing game. Freewheel sounds pretty cool too.

I have some sort of an instinctual problem with any name containing "Stunts" as in Stunts Reloaded Stunts Legacy New Stunts Stunts 2020 etc. It kind of pidgeon holes the whole thing as a fan/sequel project. It brings people in who are looking for the next Stunts, but it does not project as much of its own separate draw maybe. While if you have something just slightly further away from it, even if it's just Stuntland (or something that doesn't sound as silly, like Stunt Island but that is already a game) that seems a bit less married to the idea of being Stunts. That said: since we're literally recreating Stunts assets maybe distance is something we absolutely do not want, maybe the closer names are better.

Also, yeah, hi. I haven't posted here a lot, but I've been involved in some behind the scenes talk about tracks and editors. I also have a bit of 3D modeling experience. It's not advanced, because it was all done for Stunts, but for this project that's in the right ballpark. I've done some programming in the past, but, well, suffice it to say that most of that was on a calculator, and most of the little that's left was for technical study related applications. So I don't really get a vote in which language is better.

Anyway, the actual point of this post was: nice to see a few relatively new people/folks who I hadn't run into a lot contributing on this project. Good technical discussions!

Cas

I created the new topic. Uhm, you may have read in other posts that I'm not a friend of Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, etc. I prefer to avoid them as much as possible. But no problem, there are other drive options and I can even create my own if necessary. And GitHub is Microsoft, but I have NotABug. Still, I agree, the forum and e-mail are OK at this point. Later, we'll see.

I want to do this in FreeBasic firstly because I am also part of the FreeBasic forum and if I get a working game made in FreeBasic, it'll attract the people from that forum and not just from this one. It might even bring more people to the Stunts community :P  Secondly, I would really like to do it in C, but if I start that now, that will slow down the process considerably, as I will have to go back to finding a good way to provide graphics and other problems that are already solved for me with FreeBasic. Yet, once I have a working engine, it'll be easier for me to just translate it to C and then, it can be modded and extended.

For the moment, what I need the most is the modelling and ideas. Programming... maybe I wouldn't be a good team member, as I have my own style and don't like changing it. Like, I never use "int" unless the function requires it because they're essentially a 64bit variable of which you're only allowed to use 32bit. So I go for "shorts" and "longs" instead. I'm sure many people wouldn't like that. And I don't use the lowerCaseStartingCamel variable name format.... It looks too "Javish" for me :P  I think other programmers would have a headache with me. But I don't know XD

Oh! You guys posted while I was typing... Well... I'll read that now :)

Cas

Overdrijf!  Nice to have you here!

And yes, I also get that feeling about using the word "Stunts" in the name. I figure it's OK for the engine project, but probably the final game should have some other name. I have created the new topic already with the name StuntsLegacyEngine. Even that can be changed, but I had to give it a name for now and Powergear or Power Gear is something I like, but I think, should be discussed with as many members of the community as possible because that name kind of belongs to all of us, so I didn't want to hurry up to take it.

Now that we do have some code to work on, that is, you guys can already make models and try them with that code and can also see the code and make some changes and tests if you want to and seeing more or less what it contains, can also give ideas, I suggest that we move to the other topic. I think this one was more on the previous, more experimental engine.