News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Replay logging

Started by alanrotoi, February 02, 2013, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Quote from: dstien on February 06, 2013, 01:14:22 AM
Quote from: Duplode on February 04, 2013, 04:09:12 PM
Dstien and co.: how hard would be doing that today given what we already know? I believe we already have located where the coordinates are stored in the ASM, but I am too clueless about debuggers and other low-level stuff to know how far along the way that takes us.

Should just be a matter of getting the coordinates from the player matrix for each tick.

For the moment, I found a way to do that using scanmem (a memory inspector running in the host system), with our annotated ASM from 2010 as guidance. As you can imagine, the mechanics of the procedure I devised suck, so any low-hanging alternative would still please me  :)

Would be neat to overlay the resulting paths on a track map in order to compare racing lines.

Leak from the Southern Cross labs: I'm working on it as we speak  ;)

Replays loaded from Main screen -> Options are fully processed to the end before the world is rendered, so going from there with a breakpoint on file reads (DOS interrupt) would probably be sensible.

Well spotted, I had kinda forgotten that.

Chulk

Would be neat to overlay the resulting paths on a track map in order to compare racing lines.
That would be so cool!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

dreadnaut

Quote from: Chulk on February 06, 2013, 03:53:36 AM
That would be so cool!

And now we also need a 3d map viewer to overlay these racing lines on the track :)

(mmmh, just when I was thinking "oh, I should learn WebGL"...)

Duplode

Quote from: Chulk on February 06, 2013, 03:53:36 AM
That would be so cool!

Teaser. Can any of you guess the replay just by looking at the data?

zaqrack

I can't but am fascinated by the graphs :)

my guess is it is an Indy powergear replay - the blue line on the bottom graph seems like speed.

Chulk

Quote from: zaqrack on February 07, 2013, 05:46:38 AM
I can't but am fascinated by the graphs :)

my guess is it is an Indy powergear replay - the blue line on the bottom graph seems like speed.
It says "column D" so it's probably "Speed". I also thought about a PG track... and that's as far as I can guess.

CTG

1:1x.xx long PG track, hmmmm... give some hints about the graph, please!

(the first one is a raw map of the track, am i right?)

BonzaiJoe

The curve on the top of the top graph looks like a classic power gear slide turn.
But we can't be quite sure.

Friker

wow, that is fascinating :) is there a description of main algorithms and data structures of stunts? (i know about some work on track elements but car and car collision - also the reason of PG (overflowing/round presicion of floats - but some line of pseudocode would be nice :) ))

btw - that is strange - y is axe of height?

Chulk

Quote from: CTG on February 07, 2013, 08:57:20 AM
1:1x.xx long
Where did you get that from?

IF first graph is a raw map of the line driven (not the track as we often don't use it that much), it resembles the line of a default 2x secs lap. Straight, 2 left turns to complete about 180º then straight again, turn 180º again and finish

CTG

Quote from: Chulk on February 07, 2013, 04:22:50 PM
Quote from: CTG on February 07, 2013, 08:57:20 AM
1:1x.xx long
Where did you get that from?

Speculation from the X axis of the second graph: the last point is at ~1450-1500 units. But only if it's a time scale... :D

Duplode

Nice guesses so far; CTG in particular is hot on the trail (his interpretation of both plots is correct). But there are some more clues ;)

Quote from: Friker on February 07, 2013, 04:00:45 PM
is there a description of main algorithms and data structures of stunts? (i know about some work on track elements but car and car collision - also the reason of PG (overflowing/round presicion of floats - but some line of pseudocode would be nice :) ))

There is no neat documentation that I know of, though the assets of the restunts project include a substantial amount of unsystematically annotated assembly. (Writing notes on some of that stuff, specially on track building, is in my TODO list for almost three years now...)

Quote from: Friker on February 07, 2013, 04:00:45 PM
btw - that is strange - y is axe of height?

Yup, y is height (cf. 3D coordinates in CarBlaster and stressed). Naturally, There are y values along the x and z ones; I didn't log them thus far due to minor technical annoyances.

alanrotoi

Yes, I guess it's an excel chart!  :-[

Chulk

Quote from: alanrotoi on February 07, 2013, 08:20:37 PM
Yes, I guess it's an excel chart!  :-[
Explanation is there on facebook for you ;)

CTG

Corvette or GTO (30 mph after ~2.1 seconds, Indy's acceleration is a lot better)