News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Hey Usrin

Started by BonzaiJoe, March 19, 2013, 07:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonzaiJoe

Can you tell me anything about this rock?

It's heavy and absorbs heat well.
But we can't be quite sure.

CTG

Usrin

Question no.2: is it attracted by a magnet? It looks like a basalt, which can also absorb heat well, and can have such rounded shape as it is ejected as lava from volcanoes. But due to the low resolution of the photo, I'm not sure if it isn't an artefact from an iron smelter.

Question no.3: those small reddish spots really don't look natural, were they painted by you?
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

BonzaiJoe

I'll forward the questions to my girlfriend who found the rock, and answer them tomorrow.
I think I can say for sure that she did not paint the red dots, but that does not imply that they were not painted on by someone else. It's not totally unlikely that it's somehow man-made.

CTG

ICP analysis would help a lot. Or SEM-EDX.

(I guess you don't have a proper analytical instrument at home. :D)

Usrin

Quote from: CTG on March 20, 2013, 11:40:54 AM
ICP analysis would help a lot. Or SEM-EDX.

(I guess you don't have a proper analytical instrument at home. :D)

But for the case if you have: geologist's routine analysis for unknown rock samples is usually XRD. :)

Btw, question 4: where was this rock found? (A piece of basalt lying on the ground would be surprising in Denmark.)
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

BonzaiJoe

It was found in a remote attic side-room, in a small box which also contained an ancient stone axe. The room is situated in the folk high school (nothing to do with geology) where my girlfriend works.

CTG

Quote from: Usrin on March 20, 2013, 01:29:34 PM
But for the case if you have: geologist's routine analysis for unknown rock samples is usually XRD. :)

It's too huge. ;D (we had this type of PANalytical diffractometer at the university and at my former workplace)

CTG

What was the solution?