News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Your city

Started by alanrotoi, July 29, 2013, 11:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

I have a special fascination about Buenos Aires. About its culture, architecture, tango, neighborhoods, lunfardo (slang), history, old pictures and maps, etc. Even the not so good things about us such the histrionic way we live.

This feeling increased in the last decade more or less. I admire what we built. I travel very often to other cities and when I come back to Buenos Aires I have a special feeling.

Do you have the same feeling about some place? Not a house or a building I mean a city or a town or a neighborhood.

This is how an 80's pop band interprets this city:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5WfrL2ku5E

Duplode

I'm afraid I can't say I am proud of São Paulo in such a way - there would be an uncomfortable amount of truth in calling it a heartless concrete jungle. And yet, I do feel wholly in my element within this labyrinthine sprawl.

Obligatory mention of the unofficial, bittersweet anthem of this city: http://youtu.be/btn7E8yYvaM

CTG

Györ is not my city anymore, but Budapest won't ever take that place in my life.

BonzaiJoe

Buenos Aires is actually really popular in Denmark. I haven't been there myself, but my friend (Thomas, who went to the WSM's) lived there for a year, and some of my other friends also went and stayed there.

I grew up in Aarhus, but have lived in Copenhagen for almost 4 years. Aarhus is my hometown, but Copenhagen feels more like my city. I identify more with certain parts of the city than with the city as a whole. So even though I grew up in Aarhus, I feel like I am a Nørrebro boy. I take random walks in Nørrebro and feel connected to the people there.
But we can't be quite sure.

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

I was born and I grew up in Kazincbarcika, I consider this as my hometown and I like the town very much. Though I spent many years in Budapest and Debrecen (studies). I don't have good memories from Budapest, so feel that I have nothing to do with the city. I consider Debrecen as my second hometown, since I spent six good years there at the university, and I still have friends there. I travel back there ofthen, and for one year now, I have my girlfriend there. I'm working in Miskolc since 2009 and I attend there some ice hockey games (I became more or less a fan of the local team), I attended there many amateur meteorology meetings, my aunt lives there, I learnt to drive there, so I'm strongly connected to this city as well.
Chürműű! :-)

816.79 km

Usrin

I cannot be really attached to any city of the world. They change too fast: my favourite places can be demolished or re-built, the people I like can move away, pubs/restaurants can be transformed by new owners... In my eyes, these small changes make a city totally different after some time. I have some favourite towns (No. 1 is Eger in Hungary), but my real fascination is with natural areas. The places where I feel most at home are the mountains of North Hungary (Börzsöny, Mátra, Bükk). They are way more steady and peaceful than any city, and from there I have only good memories (that cannot be told about any city where I lived).
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

CTG

Quote from: Usrin on July 30, 2013, 10:38:18 AM
No. 1 is Eger in Hungary

As for me:

1 Pécs
2 Eger
3 Szeged

Usrin

Btw, if I'm asked about my hometown, it is Szolnok, where I lived between 1987-2008 (spending gradually less and less time there after 1997, going to secondary school then to university in Budapest). However, I've lost almost every connections with Szolnok, and I can't imagine living there again.
Colour of living being is determined by the gene.

Chulk

The city I was born in, grew up in, went to school, high school & university, where my family lives, where I had my girls and where my life-long friends live is La Plata. All of my greatest memories belong here (except for some holidays trips). This is the city I love and the city I hope I never live (unless I earn an awful lot of money some day and fulfil my dream of living in a yacht away from everything but my wife and kids).
I think this is the perfect size between a too big, loud, crowded city like Buenos Aires and a too small with nothing to do town as many around here.
Of course, having squares every 6 blocks where you can go have a peaceful time with a dog and a book really help.

And it's history is great too, full of Masonry and mystery.
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

alanrotoi

BTW I saw some buildings with "lions" here too and they are from last years of XIX century.

CTG

zaqrack

Returning to Budapest during summertime after three years spent in China made me feel how much I missed it - I did not get this feeling during our winter visits. But I am a Buda boy in particular - wouldn't live on the Pest side. Cycling along the bank of the Danube is like no other city in the world.

That said, I love Shanghai too, I love living there, especially amongst the very friendly people who fill the city, and would I need to move from there, it would remain in a significant place in my heart. Too bad its best parts are being demolished in an extreme pace.

alanrotoi

Here in Hirlingham in a party drinking Manaos.

Cas

I have a similar feeling in my own city without having to move away. If I ever move abroad and spent a few years, then I could think that returning to Córdoba would feel very special, but the truth is that I'm always remembering the way it was until the middle 90s, so even now being here, I still feel some nostalgia when I go out for a walk.

If I'm home or at someone else's place, everything has changed and I feel like I'm so, so far from "home" as it was. But when I go out, while there are changes, I pick places to walk that have retained their essence and so I can make as if it's still my good-old city. Yet, from time to time, something ruins the dream for a moment, like maybe somebody playing horrible reggaeton at full volume or somebody on the sidewalk checking their cell phones, ha, ha.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

You have something against the cell phones 😆. We cant avoid the change but it is a useful tool sometimes. What I hate are the app logic, they are so simple that you cant do anything. Like win 8 or win 10 or android speaking about SO. I'll prefer always a PC.