Author Topic: stunts-cartography - vectorial track visualization tools  (Read 11210 times)

Duplode

• Lives on Stunts
  • Rabbit hole goes on forever
    • View Profile
    • The Southern Cross Stunts Trophy
Re: stunts-cartography - vectorial track visualization tools
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 02:20:11 AM »
Does the option of not depending on GTK or Cairo mean that a Linux binary would likely run out of the box on any Linux distro?

Linux isn't really a problem on that front, as Linux systems generally have GTK available already. Windows was the main reason for providing those alternatives, as I wanted to have a backup plan if I couldn't get GTK to play nicely there. It did work out all right in the end, and the Windows binary I have uploaded uses Cairo. Though the other backends work perfectly well, there is one advantage to using Cairo: the SVG build can only generate SVGs, and the Rasterific one, only PNGs; the Cairo build, on the other hand, supports both output formats.

And about support for Bliss metadata, does it use it or just accept it?  If you need quick details on the text and binary overlaid and split formats, just let me know. It's pretty simple anyway.

For now it just accepts the files, ignoring anything after the 1801th byte. Now that you mention it, I think it wouldn't be difficult to parse binary overlay metadata if available (this is the format, right?), and to print it to the log of the viewer GUI. One more feature for a future release  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:30:06 AM by Duplode »

Cas

• Chicane Checker
  • Think different. That's OK... as long as you think
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2022, 06:41:49 AM »
I think that most Linux distros will have GTK installed. No guarantee, but almost. KDE-based desktops, if I know well, use Qt instead, but surely some of the programs installed in the system must use GTK and upon installation, must have installed it as well as a dependency, so the odds are the binary will find GTK. On the other hand, if one were to compile it, my guess is that the development library would be missing, yet if the binary can run, that's enough.

Yes, that is the format. I have seen with the years that mostly the title and author's name end up being of any use. Other information is important only for the registry. In the tournament field, I usually specify what the track was made for, which championship, which race, etc. Maybe which car.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

• Chicane Checker
  • so many ideas....
    • View Profile
    • Stunts resources.
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2022, 08:11:43 AM »
I try to get my head around it. So much  :D
I'll have a look at it soon.
Edison once said,
“I have not failed 10,000 times,
I’ve successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work.”
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts or 4D Sports Driving.

dreadnaut

• Tunnel Twister
    • View Profile
    • chezDreadnaut
Re: Stunts Cartography 1.0.0.0 released!
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2022, 11:44:25 PM »
I'm happy to finally announce the release of Stunts Cartography 1.0.0.0!

Ooooh, congratulations!

Alternative two-tone terrain style, inspired by dreadnaut's 4DOPEN terrain editor.

To think that my little '96 experiment would have an effect, any effect! I'm quite proud ;D

Duplode

• Lives on Stunts
  • Rabbit hole goes on forever
    • View Profile
    • The Southern Cross Stunts Trophy
Re: Stunts Cartography 1.0.0.0 released!
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2022, 02:00:35 AM »
Alternative two-tone terrain style, inspired by dreadnaut's 4DOPEN terrain editor.

To think that my little '96 experiment would have an effect, any effect! I'm quite proud ;D

That streamlined style looks just right for certain tracks  :)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 02:02:30 AM by Duplode »