News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Abarth 500

Started by Kubby, October 09, 2013, 09:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kubby

Ok, so it's my first Stunts mod project. As I'm more of artist background, I decided to go for the car1 model first. It's got more polies than the original models (133, to be exact), I hope it won't be a problem. Now, I'll go for car0, and then, after making different paintjobs, car2 model and those debris thingies, I'll start drawing the dashboard. (I'll leave the res file for the end)

3D: Done, not tested yet
2D: In progress
Statistics: Not started.

alanrotoi

CTG

One of the best 3D models, comparable to Zapper's work!

alanrotoi

It reminds me of Eagle Talon model from Car & Drive :D
(Couldn't take a better picture :D)

Duplode

Beautiful! I love how curvilineous it looks. Don't hesitate to ask us any technical questions that might arise  :)

Quote from: Kubby on October 09, 2013, 09:28:17 PM
It's got more polies than the original models (133, to be exact), I hope it won't be a problem.

Should not be a problem. Zapper's F40 has 196 polygons, though I would not recommend going that far with car1, as it risks frame rate issues with two cars in an external camera.

zaqrack

finally a hatchback! :) and a candidate for next season :)

Chulk

I had to look for the car (I didn't know which one it was) before I could comment and now I can say it looks really cool!
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

Kubby

OK then. What would be the appropiate poly count for car0? Is 335 okay for showroom performance?

Duplode

Quote from: Kubby on October 10, 2013, 03:36:38 PM
OK then. What would be the appropiate poly count for car0? Is 335 okay for showroom performance?

You can't go beyond 255 (a single byte is used for polygon indices). Though no one has tried to go beyond 200 yet, showroom performance should not be a concern, as there is just a single car on screen.

P.S.: You probably have already noticed that, but anyway note that you can easily generate a base model for car0 by exporting car1 from stressed to an .obj file and scaling it 20x in a 3D modeling program.

CTG

What kind of specifications would you like to give? As far as I see, the real Abarth is quite a slow car...

Kubby

Quote from: Duplode on October 10, 2013, 08:27:43 PM
You can't go beyond 255 (a single byte is used for polygon indices).

I see. Taking this into account, I've created a new car0 model, with 144 polies, mainly adding some details, and adding curvature to front windshield.

Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2013, 10:06:28 PM
What kind of specifications would you like to give? As far as I see, the real Abarth is quite a slow car...

Well, I'll first start with stock stats and then tune it a little bit to be on par with Lancia. Oh, and I won't try to simulate lack of lower-gear traction in more powerful FWD vehicle.

Duplode

Quote from: CTG on October 10, 2013, 10:06:28 PM

The coarse performance stats for the Abarth (0-60, top speed, quarter mile) are in the LM002 range, so arguably it is not that slow. In any case, either in stock form or slightly tuned up I can picture it becoming a less extreme counterpart of the Superkart, which could be interesting.

CTG

Quote from: Duplode on October 11, 2013, 02:46:34 AM
The coarse performance stats for the Abarth (0-60, top speed, quarter mile) are in the LM002 range, so arguably it is not that slow.

In Stunts world, it is definitely slow. :D

Kubby

Quote from: CTG on October 11, 2013, 09:04:00 AM
In Stunts world, it is definitely slow. :D

Not slow enough to give it any extreme tuning.

Kubby

Ok, so after some tedious repainting job (or is there some more or less hidden way or recoloring all the polys with one color?), I began working on the dashboard. I have the layout in mind and basic outline already, not it's time for all the shading, etc. I will got for more traditional gauge layout, as the retro-styled original layout would be:
1. Impossible to recreate with fixed center point in Stunts.
2. Pretty illegible in low resolution.

As you can see, the steering wheel (the middle position, that is) is pretty much done.