News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Newbie guide & Driving school

Started by dreadnaut, March 24, 2014, 10:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

Now that we have many (!) newbies around, it could be nice to refresh the newbie guide and the driving school.

• For newbies: what would you like to see there?
  • For veterans: anything you would like to add? want to help?

-
From a previous thread: the full text of the newbie guide, and some ideas for the driving school.

Duplode

Quote from: dreadnaut on January 11, 2014, 06:06:26 PM
Anyone interesting in bringing the Newbie Guide up to date? The whole text is on this pad.

At 340 lines it might be... a bit long and scary for newbies :)

Here is an attempt at a slimmer version of the Newbie Guide. At 194 lines, it is not that much shorter, though for the first few sections at least I tried hard to be straightforward. Criticism and edits are most welcome. In particular, I have a few lingering questions about the text:

• On the subject of DOSBox, is linking to the Wiki enough? (I have also added a one-minute quick start guide to the DOSBox article there, so that the wall of text does not discourage readers so much.)
  • Should we mention the word "freeware"? (If there was a mention, I suppose it would go along with the stunts_k note, just like in the current newbie guide.)
  • Is the final paragraph of the shortcuts-and-RH section too peacocky? I tried to sound neither arrogant nor too apologetic there; if I failed, however, it might be better to just remove it and stick to the facts.

CTG

194 lines is much shorter than 340. :D

Nice work anyway!

dreadnaut

Quote from: Duplode on February 18, 2015, 04:35:11 AM
Here is an attempt at a slimmer version of the Newbie Guide.

Guide updated. Also online are the markdown text, if anyone wants to expand (or reduce) on it, and the original for archive.

Duplode

I have added a section about the GAR scoreboard to the Newbie Guide, just after the one about replay visibility. Please let me know if you think I have forgotten anything there.