News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

CarEdit3 - a DOS-based car editor

Started by dm_s1e6, June 21, 2014, 01:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dm_s1e6

Hi folks,

there may by now be more car editors than cars for Stunts, but what the heck:
I want to share this tiny tool with a community that provided me with some much-desired, missing information on RES file parameters.
Please find attached a DOS-based car manager/editor that took me back 20 years.
See the included README file for details.

Kind regards
dm_s1e6

Admin edit: the original topic title was "And yet another (DOS-based) Car Editor".

dreadnaut

Thanks!

And wooooo for Pascal code! ;D  If I find a moment I can add a couple of lines to link the graphic driver inside the main exe, so you don't need the external BGI.

dm_s1e6

Oh, that (including the BGI driver) is a good point! If you could point me to a howto, I'll gladly do the job.

(The online help states that one has to link the driver and register it, but the RegisterBGIDriver source code snippet seemingly only explains how to register a driver that is present in the file system...)

dreadnaut

Sorry, I'm a bit busy in these days, but you can start reading here.

If it's still confusing, I'll dig out the relevant code next week ;)

dm_s1e6

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. I'll be on the road most of next week, so there's no hurry at all, and then I'll look into it next weekend.

dm_s1e6

Ah, of course I couldn't stop myself from looking into it, and see - it was easier than expected. :)

Release Notes for this update:
- BGI driver now linked into the EXE
- Maximum amount of cars in garage increased to 32 (from 30)
- new hint regarding accuracy added to the engine screen
- more helpful RPM lines added to the RPM/velocity graph

Zapper

Hi

In a past few days I contacted dm_s1e6 in order to get his approval (a big thank you) to make some improvements on this simple but great tool.
I wanted that CarEdit3 could be able to modificate of some missing parameters (like CarBlaster can but in a rawness way) and at the same time add precious "shape and dashboard" related informations to help in RES car file creation and modification.

Here are the release notes included on this release of CarEdit3 (version 3.1):

"Add several information and handling of parameters over RES file:
       - Garage:
      Handling of unpacked car files now possible;
       - Engine:
      Visible torque raw value at corresponding RPM;
       - Gears:
      Number of gears affects shown rows in velocities table.
      Added RPM value on reference column values (RPMbounds);
       - Misc:
      Edit car dimensions and colision parameters showing summary
         of it's actual size referenced to shape "car1".
      Edit wheels coordinates parameters showing summary of
         conversion to shape "car1" coordinate values;
       - GFX:
      Edit number of positions and their coordinates on steering
         wheel dot, rev and speed instruments.
      Steering shows right "read only" symetric dot positions.
      Rev/Speedometer change number of positions and their
         correspondent cordinates with RPM values.
      Speedometer digital to analog convertion and vice-versa
         (first 3 positions are shared between both types)."

In a next release I plan to add "car swapping" capabilities in Garage screen.

Daniel3D

Looks very cool. It would be very cool if it could work with carworks as well. As in one compleate set.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Zapper

Quote from: Daniel3D on May 25, 2021, 07:31:02 PM
Looks very cool. It would be very cool if it could work with carworks as well. As in one compleate set.

Hi Daniel, thank you!

CarWorks project seems to me a more elaborate tool since it also works with 3d model and image resources, in which I have very little knowledge, but true to be told, I haven't investigate it's source deep enough to encourage me on suggest concrete implementations.  With this CarEdit3 I could learn a bit on this type of RES files and surely be more secure for helping in other solutions like CarWorks.  ;)

Cas

Hi, guys!

I'll be more than welcome to guide you through CarWorks source if you need some help and with installing FreeBasic and compiling the source. I've been making some important updates to the project, but haven't yet uploaded it. I think I will do it this evening. I could also add CarWorks to my notabug.org repository, although I don't really use version control. It's just a place that is nice for putting source code to me. The good thing is that, if you do use version control, you can create a branch easily. I normally prefer to handle the files myself.

CarWorks can already edit the unknown parameters in the RES files easily. The parameters that have to do with the 3D and the dashboard are controlled in the corresponding sections, but currently there is no way to manually enter them. I would like to make a video tutorial for CarWorks and Bliss, but I don't know where to upload that. I don't have a YouTube account and I really don't trust Google products at all, but if you guys would be willing to upload something to YouTube, I could create a video, send it and then you can upload it.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on May 27, 2021, 12:06:22 AM
I don't have a YouTube account and I really don't trust Google products at all, but if you guys would be willing to upload something to YouTube, I could create a video, send it and then you can upload it.
I have a (unused) youtube account that can be used for this purpose.
(it contains one vid I uploaded for a presentation years ago that can be removed without breaking the internet)
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Is there a size limit or a special requirement on the characteristics of videos to upload to YouTube?

Daniel3D

I believe that the video length of normal accounts is limited to 1 hour or so. But i have to check. Anyting else i can deal with with my own software if neccecery
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Zapper

Quote from: Zapper on May 25, 2021, 04:26:28 PM
In a next release I plan to add "car swapping" capabilities in Garage screen.

As announced before, here is an update to CarEdit3 (version 3.2).

Here are the release notes:

New Spare Cars "library" (on ".\SpareCar\" directory) with 44 slot car capacity:
            - Allow the backup(copy) of default cars list to spare cars list;
            - Allow get(copy) a spare car into default car list.
            Fix copy/rename/delete operation on car with unpacked files.

Enjoy.