News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

-sigh-

Started by dreadnaut, November 16, 2014, 04:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

I was making some changes to the website, fixing pieces of the registration process, when I realised that Rokker and Boller are likely to be just ghosts. Talk about demotivation :(

CTG

Re:

dreadnaut

There's a piece of the registration process that allows for a shortcut, and it was used in a particular way for the two accounts. Let's call it a "registation signature", and it matches other fake accounts. If I hadn't been working on that part of the website I wouldn't have noticed.

On the other hand, commendable attention as been paid to keep them "non-ghost": they look less like the same user than you and Zak for example. So I wrote "likely" --there is still 1 in 2<some large number> chances that I'm wrong.

And I'm still confused on the 'why'. Dunno, motivational ghosts?

The part that has been annoying me is that I've spent time to clean up the code, but if I put the new version on the website stuff like this might go unnoticed. So, why am I even doing it? :-\

CTG

Quote from: dreadnaut on November 16, 2014, 08:03:58 PM
On the other hand, commendable attention as been paid to keep them "non-ghost": they look less like the same user than you and Zak for example. So I wrote "likely" --there is still 1 in 2<some large number> chances that I'm wrong.

Maybe because the majority registered a long-long time ago...

The part that has been annoying me is that I've spent time to clean up the code, but if I put the new version on the website stuff like this might go unnoticed.

The laity won't notice an invisible stuff. But you had several other improvements on the site, which were visible and were appreciated by the community.

So, why am I even doing it? :-\

Why do you eat, if you get hungry again after a few hours? Why does Symantec code a new Internet Security software, if there are newer and newer viruses?

And I'm still confused on the 'why'. Dunno, motivational ghosts?

All the ghosts are motivational: another time result on the scoreboard to beat.

dreadnaut

Quote from: CTG on November 16, 2014, 08:25:35 PM
The part that has been annoying me is that I've spent time to clean up the code, but if I put the new version on the website stuff like this might go unnoticed.

The laity won't notice an invisible stuff. But you had several other improvements on the site, which were visible and were appreciated by the community.

Sorry, my point being that if I fix the issue, we'll lose one way to tell ghosts apart --it's always fun to make small improvements, I don't brag about all of them :P

alanrotoi

Are you sure dreadnaut? Who could do something like that?

CTG

Quote from: alanrotoi on November 17, 2014, 12:59:57 AM
Are you sure dreadnaut? Who could do something like that?

He's ALMOST sure. Take a guess.

alanrotoi

Which are the fake accounts they match?

Chulk

Why am I not surprised at all?
Yes, it is me. No, I'm not back at racing (for now...)

CTG

Sky is blue, grass is green.

alanrotoi

They could refute this if they aren't ghosts. This isn't a flamewar or a jealous pipsqueak accusation.

BöllérJani

Quote from: alanrotoi on November 17, 2014, 04:00:54 PM
They could refute this if they aren't ghosts. This isn't a flamewar or a jealous pipsqueak accusation.

Oh c'mon, refute? Ghost was nominated for 5 Oscars.

Jealous for what? You are already a champion, so I have to be jealous instead.

alanrotoi

Sorry I don't undersand what you are saying.

CTG

Quote from: alanrotoi on November 17, 2014, 05:39:20 PM
Sorry I don't undersand what you are saying.

I guess it was a noble reference to your ISA/IRC titles.

alanrotoi

No it wasn't.

Anyway,

Quote from: alanrotoi on November 17, 2014, 01:04:36 AM
Which are the fake accounts they match?