News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

NoRH and OWOOT on ZakStunts

Started by zaqrack, February 23, 2015, 03:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

Quote from: zaqrack on February 23, 2015, 03:08:07 PM
At least I would be interested to race so. Anyone else?

I love the idea! I would definitely send occasional NoRH replays and, if the track is suitable, OWOOT ones as well. Here are a few comments about the details:

• The racing should be unofficial, which, as I see it, means no points and no season scoreboard. Race scoreboards with positions might be OK, though it could look even less official if there were only high score tables instead (that is, just like the "All results" page, only sorted and filtered by rule code).
  • As for the YouTube competition suggested by Marco, I would not necessarily oppose it, but I fear that it would unnecessarily discourage newcomers from using the NoRH option. One possibility might be a distinction between declared NoRH and validated NoRH (i.e. with an associated YouTube video) within the system, but that would make things too official IMO.
  • My pet peeve: I don't like ISA rules (non-strict OWOOT), and would generally prefer racing under IRC rules (strict OWOOT) instead. That being so, I would really like if Zakstunts OWOOT = IRC rules or, failing that, that there were separate options for ISA and IRC rules. They could have newbie-friendly names, like "no shortcuts" and "following the yellow line" respectively.
  • Another important feature would be the ability to mix the options when looking at the alternative rules results. If both USA and IRC were separate options we would then need quite a few filters: ISA, IRC, NoRH, NoRH + ISA and NoRH + IRC. (IRC replays would be included in the ISA results.)
  • An alternative to icons on the scoreboard would be letter indicators, just like the "A" for auto gears - say, "N" for NoRH, "R" for "Without Leaving The Road" and "Y" for "Following The Yellow Line". 
Quote from: Akoss Poo on February 23, 2015, 06:30:46 PM
OWOOT replays should be sent then to Alain. At IRC competitions, Mingva always asked him to decide doubtful situations/replays. I was usually very angry at them. But since - as far as I know - they laid down the exact definition of OWOOT driving, I think they are the men who should inspect the replays. Pershing II allowed more tricks than them, but they faded away. Alain said whether we could do something or not. And without any debates, we had to obey him. No pipe jump, no corkscrew jump. F3 camera, 3 clicks plus 10 clicks, and that's the view what counts. Do you remember?

I once wrote a quite detailed IRC-like rule code for JACStunts and Southern Cross, only to run into trouble because I forgot to specify the camera position exactly... Nowadays I would use Mingva's angle as well.

Quote from: Shoegazing Leo on February 23, 2015, 10:54:53 PM
A OWOOT track can be a good idea for one or two races by years. This can be used with some retro tracks what had several tricks.

I'm strictly neutral about having official OWOOT rounds, though I would certainly not skip them. I wonder how hard would it be, for ISA rules at least, to automate the OWOOT check...

alanrotoi

I would like to participate only if there is an option of "time to scoreboard but secret replay until the end of the race" just like a common replay.

Marco

I agree with Duplode. Strict rules...don t know perfectly how they are but strictly is the right word. I will like also less days to play per month. Max a week per race per month, this could reduce, if i m not wrong, the time gap problem "hey you played 24 hour per 30 days"...

Friker

Well, and what if I wnat to race in both RH and NoRH style? Will I have two entries in a scoreboard?

Duplode

Quote from: Friker on February 13, 2016, 10:14:47 AM
Well, and what if I wnat to race in both RH and NoRH style? Will I have two entries in a scoreboard?

I suppose there would rather be multiple scoreboards, with your fastest suitable replay showing up in each of them.

zaqrack

Nice to see this topic revived. My proposition:

- An "OWOOT" flag that pipsqueaks can check when uploading replay
- OWOOT replays appear on a separate scoreboard as well (similar to newbie league). Only one entry per pipsqueak in the main scoreboard
- OWOOT replays forced to be always public
- OWOOT races are entirely 'just for fun', do not impact seasonal replays at all (no bonus points or similar)
- Of course if a pipsqueak only sends OWOOT replays, that counts as the best time for the main race.

I would also say only OWOOT or NORH flags, not both. We are too small of a team to segment so much. The one people want the most should be the one implemented.

Friker

Quote from: zaqrack on February 13, 2016, 02:08:16 PM
Nice to see this topic revived. My proposition:

- OWOOT replays appear on a separate scoreboard as well (similar to newbie league). Only one entry per pipsqueak in the main scoreboard
- OWOOT races are entirely 'just for fun', do not impact seasonal replays at all (no bonus points or similar)
- Of course if a pipsqueak only sends OWOOT replays, that counts as the best time for the main race.

I would also say only OWOOT or NORH flags, not both. We are too small of a team to segment so much. The one people want the most should be the one implemented.
I like NoRH much more than OWOOT (especially with RH). In case of RH OWOOT I would probably participate only with NoRH replays.

dreadnaut

Let's experiment! There are now two checkboxes, when you upload a replay, that allow you to mark your replay as NoRH or OWOOT. For the moment both are available.

Two corresponding scoreboards have appeared at the bottom of the track page, which should be limited to the tagged results. But it's an experiment, so Alan's results from 2005 might end up in there.

Zak, I leave to you to decide which checkboxes to have in use. You can also make up others (e.g., "only turning left" :) ) and I think I can store them per-track in the future.

edit: I'm already a bit uncertain about this experiment. I think these results should be handled/stored separately, or it might become a bit of a mess :P

Duplode

Seems to be working fine!

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 19, 2016, 01:10:09 AM
edit: I'm already a bit uncertain about this experiment. I think these results should be handled/stored separately, or it might become a bit of a mess :P

You mean that with regards to presentation of results or to where should replays actually belong? If it is the latter, I actually feel it is right that if your fastest replay is a special rule one it should also be on the main scoreboard, as mine is right now.

zaqrack

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 19, 2016, 01:10:09 AM

Let's experiment! There are now two checkboxes, when you upload a replay, that allow you to mark your replay as NoRH or OWOOT. For the moment both are available.

Two corresponding scoreboards have appeared at the bottom of the track page, which should be limited to the tagged results. But it's an experiment, so Alan's results from 2005 might end up in there.

Zak, I leave to you to decide which checkboxes to have in use. You can also make up others (e.g., "only turning left" :) ) and I think I can store them per-track in the future.

Very nice, thank you! I think the implementation is right. Let's see on the next few races how much this will be used.