Author Topic: Bliss / Cas-Stunts track editor  (Read 24568 times)

Cas

• Cherry`s Chaser
  • Think different. That's OK... as long as you think
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
Re: Bliss / Cas-Stunts track editor
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2020, 03:18:07 AM »
Man, I wonder why they didn't work before, ha, ha. But alright, I'm happy now!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

afullo

• Otto's Student
    • View Profile
    • DoomItalia
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »
Considering that usually the worst programmer's nightmare is something like "ouch, yesterday it worked, today it doesn't!", and here on the contrary we have "yesterday it didn't work, today it does!", that's quite fine ;D

Cas

• Cherry`s Chaser
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2020, 12:39:55 AM »
As a matter of fact, sometimes the last situation you describe is even more annoying, though not in this case. It has happened to me many times that I'm making a program and I see that it often produces a problem and I'm pretty certain that I can reproduce it, so I prepare everything to make it happen and it doesn't and then, it seems to work fine, so because it's not producing the error, I can't find it and it happens when I least expect it.

In this case, I know more or less what I've touched, so I don't expect the problems to reappear, even though I don't know why it didn't work before. But I was concerned about this before because, as I changed the keyboard input system, some parts that had nothing to do with extended characters were affected (such as the Settings menu, where you enter the default paths and default author's name and even the Load and Save menus showed problems at some point).

It is my thinking that this will be the last release of Bliss version 2 because it's very complete already and, if I am to add anything to an editor, it would be things of a different kind, such as support for my future project, which would be indifferent to Stunts... for example, larger track terrains or higher layers. If I develop an editor to do that, it will be from scratch.

Cas

• Cherry`s Chaser
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
New Bliss 2.5.7
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2020, 05:18:55 AM »
Alright... I've been saying for over a year that Bliss is complete and I'm only going to make more changes in case of bugs, but...

NEW VERSION: BLISS 2.5.7

New features:
  • Colouration - Use colours to mark sections of the grid. Good for tutorials and to set rules for a race. Remember those times when you had to take a screenshot of a track, then clip a part and use a drawing program to make markings on it?  You can do it from within Bliss now with this option and the Track-shot menu
  • Improved tournament protocol - Now Bliss supports Race For Kicks!  Yeah, really, it was a shame that all this time, it didn't. And besides, for anybody who would one day want to make a little championship or race event, it's much simpler now to hook with the protocol, the details of which are described in the manual

Other changes:
  • Track-shots should now work well even in DOSBox... hopefully :)
  • E-mail and website have been updated in the start screen
  • DPMI server included in the package to make it simpler for DOS users, given that DOSBox no longer provides built-in DPMI. Thanks for pointing this out, KyLiE!

This update isn't crucial, as no major bugs have been fixed, but if you use track-shots and would like to use it for track schematics, I recommend upgrading.

GTAMan17

• Stunts Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »
This new version is so cool, you can download tracks from R4K
Tenyek focimdal 2005-tol 2013-ig

dreadnaut

• Corkscrew Cad
    • View Profile
    • chezDreadnaut
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2020, 08:35:18 PM »
This new version is so cool, you can download tracks from R4K

This reminds me of a recent work-in-progress on ZakStunts: http://zak.stunts.hu/api/seasons/2020

Cas

• Cherry`s Chaser
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2020, 05:17:46 AM »
Glad you like it, GTAMan! :D  This was something that should've been done before. About colouration, it's been an unfinished and unofficial feature in Bliss for quite some time.

And Dreadnaut, wow!  I understand from this that I will be able to give Bliss a true full interface with ZakStunts, right?  At this moment, the interfacing to get the current track and its metadata uses official interchange information (from the json file), but for the scoreboard, I'm having to parse the HTML, which will break if at any time a modification is made to the style of the page. If you do get a stable interchange file working (a.k.a. "API"), let me know and I'll make the changes. It would make the tournament access faster and more reliable.

Bliss is getting very complicated to update. The code is too big and each piece of it has been made without thinking of the ones that came after it, of course, which has accumulated a lot of redundancy and inconsistences. At this point, I feel like rewriting the whole thing, but that would be too much work. Yet, something like changing the procedure to read the scoreboard from ZakStunts is, in my opinion, important to update if it comes up. I can see that the project involves a lot more information, but I don't think I'll make this Bliss able to navigate through past races and such. It's too much to add to this code. I'll leave that last part for Bliss 3.0... if I decide to do the big thing.

Oh, and KyLiE found a bug in Bliss 2.5.7, but it only affects the DOS version. I'm fixing that now.