News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Driving Styles

Started by Shoegazing Leo, March 12, 2015, 07:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoegazing Leo

Discussion started on the shoutbox.

There are some styles of driving. I believe what there are a south-american style with Rotoi, Gutix, Duplode and Renato Biker.

alanrotoi

Gutix style is passional, no doubt.
About mine (2002-2005) the tricks are found watching the map, giving the first test laps or just luck. Sometimes I theorize via email to the team. Hey! And 90% of times in the last 7-8 years my team does the hard work.

Several times in my first year as "professional pipsqueak" appeared a trick and then I was complete sure that was the winning replay (when I won). For example in a hard race like zct17 I didn't fell I'll win until I found a small (but fantastic!) jump from a hill to the inside of a tunnel turning in the air.

Contradictorily in zct16 I was as surprised as the rest, not because the big gap but because I guessed everybody was hidding their real time. I had a chat with Alain the same day or the previous day at irc channel but I couldn't realize if he was hidding or not.

Finding tricks and shortcuts is the most important and fun moment in zakstunts. Fortunately you never find or do everything. Back to zct16 again if you watch the replay everybody can easy do a faster beggining (in fact I had the slowest beginning) and the last 5 secs are also easy to improve. I did my best, it was my best result and also is possible to do it faster.

OWOOTR competitions are another chapter because you don't have to find shortcuts but still you depend on finding tricks (small jumps or interaction with the elements) that's the key.

Even with this analysis I can't get a driving style from others. Maybe I should watch more replays keeping this in mind.

Duplode

Quote from: alanrotoi on March 12, 2015, 08:32:27 PM
Gutix style is passional, no doubt.

I always felt there was a difference between Ayrton and Gutix, with Ayrton having the most perfect laps but Gutix the most otherworldly ones (Orosháza!). If it makes sense to define two South American sub-styles around these two multi-champions, I'd say Renato is closer to Ayrton, while I would be in Gutix's camp.

Shoegazing Leo

And the geography can be subverted. The is an example in baseball: Brazil plays japanese style in despite of latin-american. (brazilian baseball is influenced by the japanese immigration).

BonzaiJoe

I remember getting this feeling in 2004, when Gutix arrived, that the Argentinians had a different driving style which involved crazier tricks and more bug jumps. Rotoi's ZCT16 was a prelude to this, but his winning replays on ZCT17,18 and 22 were more human. Gutix turned the whole thing unhuman, and Ayrton and Renato Biker took it to the next step in the same direction. Alain had his own chaotic driving style. He used to insult my driving style. "Nothing is funny in your driving", he said. I think Mark L. Rivers had a driving style comparable to mine, maybe. Zak McKracken too.
But we can't be quite sure.

alanrotoi

I would like to hear your impression about your own driving style or a your feeling about a particular race.

If we are agree, pride and modesty aside it would be interesting to know those personal details about yourself. Just like an own synopsis plus some unknown small anecdotes.

When I say "you" I mean everybody (I hate this foggy part of the english).

Let the fingers dance over the keyboard :D

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Quote from: BonzaiJoe on March 12, 2015, 11:20:52 PM
Alain had his own chaotic driving style. He used to insult my driving style. "Nothing is funny in your driving", he said.

I got the same comment on my driving style from Alain. I think he might have been right, I often choose the simplest way, the least available button presses in corners - that's why I like IMSA cars and Indy, and I suck with Audi, Corvette or Countach.
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

zaqrack

I don't really know what my driving is. It is maybe a bit like drunken driving. Not too straight lines, as if my steering wheel has a considerable play - and this makes it hard to perform tricks and shortcuts requiring preciseness. I also tend to arrive in corners too fast compared to others.

alanrotoi

You should unchain your driving style more often. You always race with a speed limit and this isn't a school area anymore :D