Stunts - the Game > Stunts Reverse Engineering

first alpha version of StuntsVM is ready

(1/3) > >>

llm:
its some sort of Dosbox but based on Fake86 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fake86/) and only able to emulate the environment enought to run stunts

the zip contains 3 files

game_pc.exe - the 16bit dos game, build with clvn's execombiner and my own sound driver integration tool for pc-speaker sound
stuntsvm.exe - executes/emulates game_pc.exe
SDL.dll - for Keyboard/Mouse/Gfx (https://www.libsdl.org/)

copy these into your stunts directory (where the tracks, sound and others files are - but make a backup before) and run stuntsvm.exe

what can you do with stuntsvm - test and play - for me its the base of my statical recompilation ideas for stunts

Duplode:
Cool! I did a very quick test under Wine, and noticed two things:

* Very minor issue: files with names longer than 8 characters are ignored (I mention this mostly to remind other testers to rename their files if need be).
* More significantly: the physics do not seem to be 100% faithful yet. Both Gutix's ZCT070 replay and Akoss' ZCT168 one fail to complete. In the former, the car crashes at various points, depending on how much you rewind it, while in the latter the car is oddly deflected rightwards while climbing a hill at ~34s. Those issues should probably be confirmed by reproducing them in an actual Windows system (as opposed to Wine).

llm:

--- Quote ---Very minor issue: files with names longer than 8 characters are ignored
--- End quote ---

my DOS-File-API emulation does not support long filenames - easier to implement

--- Quote ---More significantly: the physics do not seem to be 100% faithful yet. Both Gutix's ZCT070 replay and Akoss' ZCT168 one fail to complete. In the former, the car crashes at various points, depending on how much you rewind it, while in the latter the car is oddly deflected rightwards while climbing a hill at ~34s. Those issues should probably be confirmed by reproducing them in an actual Windows system
--- End quote ---

thats bad - can you attach the replays so i can compare real DOS/dosbox and stuntsvm? maybe the hardware timer isn't correctly programmed

Duplode:

--- Quote from: llm on August 14, 2015, 10:12:28 PM ---can you attach the replays so i can compare real DOS/dosbox and stuntsvm?

--- End quote ---

Here they are. The Z168 lap was arbitrarily chosen, but I picked the Z70 one because full powergear replays are trickier to get right - even the original game engine gets confused with them sometimes. I can suggest additional test cases if/when you need them.

llm:

--- Quote ---reproducing them in an actual Windows system
--- End quote ---

so what was your compare system - linux/dosbox, a real dos-machine?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version