News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ZCT 202 - Dual-way concept

Started by alanrotoi, July 04, 2018, 02:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

dreadnaut: "A path that inches over the water between the two dual-ways, confusing Stunts to a point that Alan can dual-switch while staying on the same path."

Well, it's not the same path but out of any path. Let me tell it this way: Imagine for a minute you are Neo and you are racing in the Matrix :D . You have to race the track watching the stunts elements not only what you see but what they really are. The elements are just squares in a 2D plane. I just left the road (the real path of squares, Neo!) after the dual-way begins and then re-entered where they crossed. The key is to reach the area in white border. There are more "white border areas" but in this track this was the best way.

I did a map, take a look. I hope it helped :)

Cas

I'm not sure about what really is the rule. Like I understood it originally, dual-way switching required:
1 - Getting to the bifurcation
2 - Actually picking one of the two ways and entering at least one tile of one of them
3 - Leaving the path at some point before the two ways join again
4 - Entering the other path at some intermediate point too
5 - Reaching the union again

But here, this is not the case, as you never actually join one of the two paths. Now, I could think it's enough with just leaving the path and then rejoining the same path, but is it required that the same path be re-entered from a tile other than the one it was left to?  I am not watching the RPL right now, but let me see if I remember correctly:

1 - You first reached the split, then took the purple path
2 - You drove the two closed corners, leaving the second tile (second corner) toward the east
3 - You drove south to the tile containing the palm tree
4 - You re-entered the same path from the north into the last purple tile (fourth corner)
5 - You got to the crossing and turned west

Is this correct?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Duplode

Quote from: Cas on July 04, 2018, 06:11:58 AM
But here, this is not the case, as you never actually join one of the two paths.

This is an overhead pic from Alan's lap at 17.55:

The car is just inside the first tile of the orange path -- what counts in such cases is the position of the centre point of the car -- and so both paths are used. Right on the limit! 8)

(Note that the highlighted tiles in Alan's map aren't part of any path, and so they don't count indeed.)

Cas

Ohh!   :o  Wow... now I see it!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Dup! You programmed some years ago a tool to mark in a map where the car's position is in every moment of the replay. Could you show the first half of this replay in an image?

GTAManRCR

Did you guys still mentioning on ZCT202's Dual-way madness? But it's almost over
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

GTAManRCR

Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

dreadnaut

It might be over, but there's an interesting replay to investigate ;)

So going over the water makes Stunts think that Alan is following the orange path, but that's the only orange tile he touches. After that, he drives through the non-track white tiles and back on the purple path, completing the dual-way switch.

I would have never thought of that :o

alanrotoi

Now you can see it. Sion is the finish line :D

BTW I don't understand it 100% but this detail is my input to build the knowledge together :)

Duplode

Quote from: alanrotoi on July 05, 2018, 02:13:30 AM
Dup! You programmed some years ago a tool to mark in a map where the car's position is in every moment of the replay. Could you show the first half of this replay in an image?

Sorry it took a bit long, but here it is! Open the attached SVG and crank up the zoom. The usual resolution Cartography uses to draw the traces wasn't enough to show the tile being traversed clearly, so I had to hand edit the SVG to make the yellow line thinner :o

(The coordinate data file for the lap shows the car spends two frames within the tile. At 17.55s (cf. the screenshot above) the car is 59cm ahead of the western tile boundary, and 126cm from the southwestern tile corner. At 17.60s, the car is about six milimeters behind the southern tile boundary, and 305cm from the southwestern corner... It seems plausible that if the car had been on the same path but moving a little faster, it would not being within the tile bounds at any frame, and so the path wouldn't be legal. Verifying that would be an interesting experiment.)

alanrotoi

Beatiful!! I'm not sure what to conclude with this evidence. :D