News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

About the Wiki

Started by Cas, August 27, 2018, 12:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Some time ago, I was wanting to contribute to the Wiki. I do have the access now, but I didn't have it clear how it worked. Later, I became very busy. Now that I have time again, I would like to do it, but still some things get me confused. I don't understand the format very well. Sometimes, it's easy, but when I look at the code for some pages, it seems to me like what I'm seeing has to contain some more code that's not there. I get really confused. Also, how to create information boxes and all that... I need a lot of practice. So anybody who could guide me, I'll appreciate it :)

Another thing is, I was wondering whether it's possible to download the whole Wiki to a file that I can read offline. Maybe a PDF or a large HTML file. Similarly, is it possible for me to write a whole page and then upload it to the Wiki?

I remember one confusion I had had to do with creation and deletion of pages. Like removing the contents of a page was the same as deleting it and creation worked somewhat similarly.

Does this Wiki work in a way that's similar to other WIkis?  I mean, can I just look up a YouTube video on editing wikis that can help me?

EDIT:  Mmm... I think I'm starting to realise how it works :)  My biggest question that remains is: How can I make those nice info boxes?  I can see that, for cars, they seem to be made out of the category, but I don't understand how. Trying to figure out. Oh, and how can I have a certain word redirect to another page?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Duplode

Quote from: Cas on August 27, 2018, 12:27:23 AM
Does this Wiki work in a way that's similar to other WIkis?  I mean, can I just look up a YouTube video on editing wikis that can help me?

The Wiki uses MediaWiki, which is the same software that powers Wikipedia. That means most of what you find about Wikipedia editing will apply here as well.

My biggest question that remains is: How can I make those nice info boxes?

They are made using templates. For instance, the Acura NSX page starts with:

{{Cars|
carname = Acura NSX|
image = [[Image:ANSX.png|226px|center]]|
designer = ''Original car''|
year = 1990|
version = All|
engspec = DOHC V-6, 3000cc|
maxhp = 270HP|
gears = 5-speed|
sixty = 5.3s|
hundred = 12.8s|
halfmile = 21.60s|
top = 173mph|
realtop = 203mph|
}}

The Cars within double curly brackets make the Template:Cars page to be inserted, with the named parameters being filled as specified.

Oh, and how can I have a certain word redirect to another page?

The "PG" page contains...

#REDIRECT [[Power gear]]

... which sets it up as a redirect to "Power gear". (The double square brackets are regular link syntax; the magical part is the #REDIRECT.)

Another thing is, I was wondering whether it's possible to download the whole Wiki to a file that I can read offline. Maybe a PDF or a large HTML file. Similarly, is it possible for me to write a whole page and then upload it to the Wiki?

Right now there isn't an easy way to do that. One route would be installing on the server one of the MediaWiki extensions that provide exporting. Alternatively, the MediaWiki API might be used to prepare a combined Wiki page without having to copy-paste everything by hand. (I will have a go at the second approach when I get the chance -- I'll keep you informed of progress on that front.)

afullo

We are converting a Star Trek database to a wiki structure, but it is taking a lot of work. Many things can be done because proper means are often available, but the amount of time and todo can increase easily...

Cas

Thank you, guys. I actually had figured out most of the things by yesterday night. I found the help from MediaWiki and used it to guide me and I also found the templates. I also just realised that our Wiki does have its own section about help editing. I've been working on the pages I could write the most on (about myself, Bliss and other projects) and making some minor touches.

I was thinking that the pipsqueak template itself would need an update, but I don't want to touch that before I'm sure I'm not messing up. I would like to take the work to edit all pipsqueak profiles to make sure all of them include the template and fill the data. Another thing is that it'd be good to make a nice long profile for AbuRaf70 and perhaps contact SergioBaro to tell us more. AbuRaf is a true legend in the community.

Another thing is, I was about to create a page on Race For Kicks and I realised I've never taken note of which tracks, with which cars, etc., were raced in the tournament. Also, the dates... Do you, Duplode, have this info, by chance?  I know you often save these things. From now on, I'll be very careful to document everything.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Duplode

Quote from: Cas on August 28, 2018, 05:24:48 PM
Another thing is, I was about to create a page on Race For Kicks and I realised I've never taken note of which tracks, with which cars, etc., were raced in the tournament. Also, the dates... Do you, Duplode, have this info, by chance?  I know you often save these things. From now on, I'll be very careful to document everything.

I was about to ask you a similar question, with an eye at a Competition Archive update... The problem is that, ever since my old desktop went up in smoke around Christmas 2016, my Stunts collection is not as tidy as it used to be, as I have not stopped to pick up the pieces yet (that is one of the reasons why I haven't made the Archive update that would be due this year). It is likely that I have replays from the earlier R4I/R4K races, but not from the later ones (i.e. the ones from mid-to-late 2017, when I was largely away from the community). I will survey what I actually have over the next few days, and I will let you know of what I find.