Author Topic: Competition Archive 2018  (Read 57 times)

Duplode

• Breaths Stunts
  • Through the astral door - to soar
    • View Profile
    • The Southern Cross Stunts Trophy
Competition Archive 2018
« on: November 12, 2018, 04:42:35 AM »
After months of procrastination and computer woes, I can finally announce that there will be a 2018 update to the Competition Archive. The plans are for it to be ready before the new year. Here are the competitions the update should cover (please do tell me if I forgot anything!):

• ZakStunts (2016-2018)
  • ZakStunts GAR (2016-2018)
  • ZakStunts NoRH (2016)
  • R4I (2016)
  • R4K (2016-2018)
  • LeStunts (2017; Dorsal and Second)
  • Superkart Special Event (2010)

I think almost all of those either are somewhere in my computer already, or are otherwise easy to retrieve. In any case, I will ask you folks if anything turns out to be missing.

On an additional note, another thing I would like to do is setting up some architecture for the Archive more resilient than a bunch of folders, textfiles and spreadsheets loosely correlated with each other. I'm not sure I will have time to play with that before the release, though.

dreadnaut

• Skid`s Nightmare
    • View Profile
    • chezDreadnaut
Re: Competition Archive 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
  • ZakStunts GAR (2016-2018)
  • ZakStunts NoRH (2016)

Uhm, these can be filtered out from the result through the database, but I could also make the replay tags visible in the full list of results for a track. Would that help?

On an additional note, another thing I would like to do is setting up some architecture for the Archive more resilient than a bunch of folders, textfiles and spreadsheets loosely correlated with each other. I'm not sure I will have time to play with that before the release, though.

Tell me more.

Duplode

• Breaths Stunts
  • Through the astral door - to soar
    • View Profile
    • The Southern Cross Stunts Trophy
Re: Competition Archive 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »
I could also make the replay tags visible in the full list of results for a track. Would that help?

It would help; also it is, for unrelated reasons, a feature I have been wanting for a long time  :) The way I once imagined it was having little (G) and (N) indicators in the replay entries, like the (A) ones for automatic transmission laps; in any case, I'll be happy with however form of display you decide on.

Tell me more.

While I didn't really feel such things when I was making an effort to update my working version of the archive at the end of every race, the prospect of updating it after not having touched it in years makes the procedures seem a bit fragile -- prone to mistakes, and perhaps with sub-optimal results for users. More specifically, I would like to have a single point of truth for race information: it might be, for instance, a SQLite database from which the text file race lists and the spreadsheet could be generated, and which could also be used to perform consistency checks on the .TRK and .RPL files (if not storing the files themselves there, though there are some subtleties that would have to be dealt with for that to work well). In terms of amount of work to do, the main complication is that such a plan would entail not only designing the database schema and writing the program, but also getting the ~900 race entries into the database -- a process that in all likelihood can't be fully automated.