News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

[idea] Replay auto-upload

Started by dreadnaut, February 13, 2019, 09:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

I was thinking about live races while having breakfast, and this came to my mind. I'll dump it here, not to forget.

Uploading a replay for a race is a multi-step operation, nothing too long, but seconds! are really important at the end of a live race. So what if there was a little program that looks at the Stunts directory, and every time a .RPL file is created or modified, it uploads it to ZakStunts?

The website should have an endpoint to allow automated uploads, and keep only the most recent 15-20 replays to save space. pipsqueaks would have a new page with a list of their uploaded replays, and the option to Publish, Download, or Delete each.

Bonus, a "Team mode" where the list is shared among the members of the team.

afullo

I don't know if it would be compliant with new European privacy regulations ( ;D ), but for the rest it is a great idea.  8)

Cas

I figure this could even grow to become a non-web client and a Stunts community protocol. In the meantime, an area on the website where you could "drop" the replay file could be fast enough; at least, much faster than what we've been doing so far, I guess.

I have more ideas regarding this "protocol", but I think they are out of scope in this thread. I'll write about it separately.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dreadnaut

Quote from: Cas on February 18, 2019, 11:22:38 PM
In the meantime, an area on the website where you could "drop" the replay file could be fast enough

Note that if you drop a file on the "Browse" button of the upload form, it will be selected for you. That's standard in all desktop browsers, as far as I know.

For R4K, you could add the accept attribute to limit the file shown in the selector:

<input type="file" name="replay" accept=".rpl" />

Cas

Ah!  I must remember to do that when I modify the code again. It does verify that the extension be RPL when you've already selected it, but true, the list shows all files.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.