Author Topic: Car cards!  (Read 505 times)

Overdrijf

• Cherry`s Chaser
  • Professional idiot
    • View Profile
Re: Car cards!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
Stunts font, yes, probably would make it more work and take up more space, but could be used for the car name or something.
For the car name I could actually copy it straight from the car selection screen. It'd have to be blown up quite a bit, but that would add to the pixelated look...

In my opinion, the main font should preferably be white or at least have a white border (like in the movies subtitles), because most of the colours during Stunts game play are dark.
This is technically true, but it looks silly when I try it. There's just not enough pixels for a white border, and fully white text, while it stands out very well, looks off somehow.

Also, I would suggest using all caps so that a more condensed font could be used and still be legible at that size and allow for more text, perhaps?  Just thoughts.
I have been trying several fonts. In fact, tomorrow I'm going to see about abusing the boss' printer for a bit and print out about 18 different combinations of fonts and backgrounds at real card size. I'm hoping it will give me some extra clarity. I haven't really tried allcaps yet, but I have tried the very condensed font Impact. It was not a success. Getting too narrow is just as bad as getting too low, at this point.

Also, if these are going to be Super Triunfo like cards, there should be primarily features that can be compared as "more" or "less", that is, magnitudes. Colours for categories also could allow for other games that can be played with the cards, but for that, same number of cars with the same card colour would be important. Like always, all of these are just ideas I'm dropping for you to make what you think best of them freely :)  This is a very nice project!
At the current point there's flat road top speed, real top speed, 0-60, 0-100, length, handling and if you squint a bit difficulty or number of gear. So that's 6 or if you're being really generous 8. Then again, 0-60 and 0-100 will usually point to the same winner, and handling is kind of a strange stat, especially as the raw number does not include extra grip on terrain, so if you're strict there's only kind of 4 stats there.

Speaking of backgrounds, I played around with Duplode's idea of a dashboardfeature in monochrome a bit, it looks pretty cool:

It certainly looks more like a car card/TCG card. It also adds a semi-recognizable feature that you actually see while using the car to the card, so that's super nice. It's also very flexible. One one car you can use the full height of the dash, on another you zoom in on the speedometer, you just get bigger pixels. (Although the colorization process will require a bit of a manual touch, which takes time.) There are also some things about it I still have to think about. The tricks don't have dashboard features, so we'll have to come up with some other image. And I was planning to do the trick cards in blue, purple and black, darker colors which will bring down the legibility. I could do them with very light blue/purple/grey, which is sort of okay (though grey will never stand out from black letters as well as yellow does) but whether that looks good on a card with a dark border, not sure yet. I also feel like this attracts a bit too much attention to how large and square the picture is, but that might actually look a lot better if the image is not mostly sky with a really tiny car.

(The font combination on this card is also one of the frontrunners for the print test tomorrow. It's the only combination I found that will let me use a line less with the same amount of text. The letters are kind of small, but they seem pretty legible.) Together with removing more empty lines I'm hoping this will look like a very readable card in tomorrow's test. It looks pretty readable on a screen...)

About tricks, I think that, beside the cards, there should be more wiki articles on tricks and how to perform them. There, more text and images (including animations) can easily be added and it would definitely help many pipsqueaks... including myself!  I've already been creating wiki articles and I'm already comfortable with it. What I'm not good at, though, is actually performing tricks, ha, ha, so if you give me hints on that part, I could write the articles there. Count on me.
Sounds like a very worthwhile project. Maybe we can leech some writers off each other. Ones they admit they know a trick well...

EDIT: This one is a failed experiment as far as being super legible goes, but I'm sharing it anyway because it looks pretty boss. Bit of a Sin City vibe... And it's easy to do for any car containing black or grey.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:58:45 PM by Overdrijf »

GTAMan15

• Stunts Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 08:19:18 PM »
This second version (Gray colored car detail background) is bad, because the text is unreadable
So keep yourself at the car's difficulty color as background, because text is readable in it
Tenyek focimdal 2005-tol 2013-ig

GTAMan15

• Stunts Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »

Use THIS

Duplode

• Breaths Stunts
  • Through the astral door - to soar
    • View Profile
    • The Southern Cross Stunts Trophy
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »

Overdrijf

• Cherry`s Chaser
  • Professional idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
Use THIS

Now that is the sort of feedback I can use.

I think you're right, it looks much clearer in print too, not to mention kind of cool.

For the trick cards I can use teal/light blue, blue and purple rather than running up to black, that might work.

Font wise I'm not sure what I want yet. Maybe this one has too small an x-height (height of lower case letters compared to upper case ones) after all. But i can solve that after clearing my head with two weeks of vacation.

So the last real thing I have to add for now is what I thought of yesterday after I made that post: I can do this borderless.

See you all in two weeks!

(I'll compulsively check the forum on my phone, but I won't be making cards.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:08:41 PM by Overdrijf »

GTAMan15

• Stunts Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »

[/quote]

Looks even better now