Author Topic: Live Races 2020  (Read 840 times)

dreadnaut

• Friend of Oracle
    • View Profile
    • chezDreadnaut
Live Races 2020
« on: March 21, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
Well then, I'm home this weekend. And the next. Oh, the one after too? Maybe it's time to organise a live race, even multiple live races!

Let's start with Sunday 22 March, 20:00GMT! Who's in?

For those who are new, read about the "Le Stunts" format that we usually follow.

sd4000 - Oliver

• Stunts Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Live Races 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »
Yeah. That would be great. It was a lot of fun last year!

But this sunday i would like to give watching this a try:

https://corp.formula1.com/formula-1-launches-virtual-grand-prix-series-to-replace-postponed-races/

afullo

• Bernie's Brother
    • View Profile
    • DoomItalia
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 05:13:31 PM »
With the lil girl for me it would be a bit difficult to be present at an exact time and date...  :-|

Cas

• Joe's Friend
  • Think different. That's OK... as long as you think
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:54:50 AM »
If there's quorum, I'm in. Otherwise, count me in for next week or just whenever you can. I'm also at home for quite a while!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dreadnaut

• Friend of Oracle
    • View Profile
    • chezDreadnaut
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »
Sounds like next week might see more participants, let's try with that :)

Overdrijf

• Helen`s Lover
  • Professional idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »
Next week or something sounds nice.

Is one of you making a short track? Or shall I?

dreadnaut

• Friend of Oracle
    • View Profile
    • chezDreadnaut
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 06:47:33 PM »
Is one of you making a short track? Or shall I?

Always happy to race on an Overdrijf track, go ahead! ;)

Cas

• Joe's Friend
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 12:27:04 AM »
I'll be happy to join next week and if you need another track, count on me for that too. Last time, I think we had two or three races. It was good. Let's try to set a date and time in advance so that we have an agreement and make sure we don't need to re-postpone :)  In my case, the weekend is OK virtually at any time as long as I know in advance. Weekdays are better in the evening or in the morning, because I'm still working in the afternoon, but... if I know in advance that there'll be a race, I can change my working time for that day.

Overdrijf

• Helen`s Lover
  • Professional idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
Always happy to race on an Overdrijf track, go ahead! ;)

I'll post the track Friday, giving everyone two days to have a look.

Overdrijf

• Helen`s Lover
  • Professional idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 03:58:05 PM »
No wait, I've got a better weirder idea.

It all started with my concept. We're all a little weirded out by the current situation. Isolation, boredom, loneliness and even death itself are looming over us. So I thought: you know what we need? More of that. We need a proper pipsqueak quarantine facility.

Below I've posted 9 tracks, each around a bit under a minute in length. I've included them both as an image and as an attached track file. These tracks are called Quarantine Room 1 through 9. Each track can be obtained by replacing the lone arrow shaped highway piece in the split track section of that track with a start/finish pointing in the same direction. (As per the "Le Stunts" format we don't want to ever cross the finish line, which is why the start/finish is on a side track.) We're going to be doing one of these 9 tracks. Dreadnaut, as the person who took initiative for this live race, gets to say which track, and post his choice somewhere early this weekend, after which I'll supply the ready to go track for everyone who wants to join. But sd4000, as the first person to respond, gets to name which car we'll be using. This can be any car, but if it's a car from outside the current Zakstunts lineup there needs to be a way to download it. He has to make up his mind before Dreadnaut posts and the other way around, so have an answer ready in your head before this weekend. This way sd4000 will know roughly what kind of track he's picking a car for, but not which exact one.

Yes, it's overly complex, what were you expecting?

(If we want a second or backup race Cas can pick the track and Afullo the car, even if he can't make it to the event itself.)

Anyway, here it is:

Have fun picking!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:24:15 PM by Overdrijf »

afullo

• Bernie's Brother
    • View Profile
    • DoomItalia
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 07:06:18 PM »
Nice idea! I'm available to make the choice in case!

Cas

• Joe's Friend
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 11:34:50 PM »
That is a really original idea!  But hey... you mean only one of those nine tracks will be raced?  That is, the whole track file will have a single modification so that one of the sub-tracks is the valid one and the others will just be scenery, right?  Laps will be very short, so there will be lots of them.

Now if we do more than one race, you mean pick two sub-tracks from this track or make another track with 9 sub-tracks to pick one from them?

Overdrijf

• Helen`s Lover
  • Professional idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 07:50:22 AM »
I meant pick a second subtrack from this one for the second race. That's the benefit of this format, you automatically have several backup tracks.

Of course if someone would just really like to make another track that's fine with me as well. In that case the map doesn't need to conform to this format or have other people making choices.

Cas

• Joe's Friend
    • View Profile
    • Dimioca Labs
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 10:26:19 PM »
Well, that sounds good. My personal feeling is that I would really like to try your system with one or two sub-tracks in effect, but I also feel that sub-tracks are a little short and maybe we could also have an extra full-sized track. If we have enough time for several races, it'd be nice to have that as diverse as possible :)

Overdrijf

• Helen`s Lover
  • Professional idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
Knock yourself out.

Time wise, we gather in the chat Sunday at 20:00 GMT as originally suggested?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:13:03 AM by Overdrijf »