News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Who came up with the term "powergear"?

Started by Cas, June 29, 2020, 09:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Hi!  I think we had a topic on something more or less related to this, but I can't find it. I don't even remember the main idea of that topic to guess the title and look it up and it's more or less old.

Anyway... I was wondering when, in Stunts community, the term "powergear" came up and how. Who coined it?  Because most of us already knew powergear before getting online, yet I expect all of us had different names for it or no name. In my case, I had a copy of Stunts first in 1993. We played a lot and a friend of mine whose surname was "Dantas" once pointed out that you could maintain a high speed with the Indy even going over grass as long as you kept "the foot down" after hitting the end of the last gear. I surely had had this experience before, but I hadn't put much attention to it until he mentioned it in detail. We even built a track especially to reach that speed, all based on banked roads (we hadn't seen that we could just use jumps and loops to do it faster). For this reason, we called it "Velocidad de Dantas" or "Dantas's speed". That must've been around 1994. When I first started participating in Stunts forum, probably around 2010, I noticed this was referred to as "powergear", so I switched to that.

How about you, guys?  And again... who coined the term?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

JTK

What a question... when we still held our contest the community was used to "6th gear" (as I re-read at my Stunts page). I guess Zak could tell more about this, he also was the first author on the wiki article "power gear" and probably he himself invented the term? 🤔
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de

Daniel3D

I always used overdrive "it's when the car goes into overdrive" back in the 90's with my stunts buddy's.
Maybe it's a Dutch thing because it sounds almost exectly like the Dutch word 'overdrijf' which means 'exaggerate'

:D
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Overdrijf

Quote from: Daniel3D on July 03, 2020, 02:38:42 PM
I always used overdrive "it's when the car goes into overdrive" back in the 90's with my stunts buddy's.
Maybe it's a Dutch thing because it sounds almost exectly like the Dutch word 'overdrijf' which means 'exaggerate'

:D

Maaaaaybe...  ;D

Cas

Ha, ha.... yeah, each of us must have a story and a name for it and I love reading about those things. I mean, we've all been living Stunts separately for a whole decade before the community started to take shape. Anyway, as JTK says, Zak will surely be able to say more about the origin of the term. I think our different names for this feature and perhaps our stories and how PG finally got to stick are things that should be in that wiki article. We have to document all these things or they'll be forgotten.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

For 4dsL (2003-2004) as a site 100% in spanish I decided to translate everything. I used the term "Máxima velocidad" or "maximum speed" for this bug.

dukeofurl

My brother and I used several terms to refer to it over the years, including:  6th gear, hyper mode, hyper drive, I think we might have used overdrive as well. 

JTK

KHR and me of course had a German word, we said "einrasten" when power gear engaged.
Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de