News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Is there a way to export or interpret STUNTS tracks to Blender format

Started by darkydan, October 09, 2020, 01:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkydan

Wondering if anybody on these forums were aware of tools to export tracks to a format modifiable in Blender.

I have a dream of racing the STUNTS Default track in glorious flat shaded polygons in a game like Assetto Corsa in VR!

Love the work people have done with the stressed tool to make all the resources tweakable.

Cheers.

dreadnaut

Quote from: darkydan on October 09, 2020, 01:42:23 AM
I have a dream of racing the STUNTS Default track in glorious flat shaded polygons in a game like Assetto Corsa in VR!

Hello and welcome, Darkydan!

I'm not aware of any exporting tool, but I'd wait for other, more 3d-oriented people to chip in. I like your idea though: a Stunts-looking level in a modern game would be great 8)

Duplode

Hello and welcome! Stressed (Windows binary download; GitHub repo) can export 3D shapes to the OBJ format; it's been a long while since I last played with Blender, but I believe that should be enough to get things started.

afullo

There exists a converter from Stunts track to Ultimate Stunts track, if it could be of some help.

Overdrijf

Stunts tracks are stored as a grid full of objects, not as a single 3D shape. So there's no direct conversion between the two. However:

Quote from: Duplode on October 10, 2020, 05:11:28 PM
Hello and welcome! Stressed (Windows binary download; GitHub repo) can export 3D shapes to the OBJ format; it's been a long while since I last played with Blender, but I believe that should be enough to get things started.

The object themselves can be ported over, so it should be able to construct the Default track using exported objects.

This also means that it should be possible to write a tool that can read a track file, import the objects and do that whole process automatically for any track file you feed it. I just wouldn't know how to code a tool like that because, well, I don't know how to code.

Cas

To be honest, I think I have gathered sufficient knowledge on the topic in the last year or so in order to develop a program that just converts a whole track into a 3D object that can be opened with Blender... but it would be a lot of work!!!  Mainly because of what the guys said above: the elements are separated from the track information and furthermore, elements are often composed of several sub-elements that have to be put together. There should also be some form of adaptation because Blender does not have grills and such in a structural way, so a texture should be developed to simulate that.

Using OBJ files, you can already import individual car and track shapes after having exported them from Stressed, but material information is lost in the process. I am currently working on a program that can import and export car shapes and OBJ files maintaining material information. It already does that, but it's specifically dedicated to cars.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.