News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Guest tracks 2021

Started by dreadnaut, November 20, 2020, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

New thread for the guest tracks! (see 2020)

Want to design a competition track? Book your race below.

Tracks for the competition are designed by its participants. If you have an idea for a track and would like to contribute, just choose an available month below!

• ZCT234 (starts 10 Jan) - Akoss Poo
  • ZCT235 (starts 7 Feb) - KyLiE
  • ZCT236 (starts 7 Mar) - Alan Rotoi
  • ZCT237 (starts 4 Apr) - dreadnaut
  • ZCT238 (starts 2 May) - Cas
  • ZCT239 (starts 30 May) - Shoegazing Leo
  • ZCT240 (starts 27 Jun) - afullo
  • ZCT241 (starts 25 Jul) - CTG
  • ZCT242 (starts 22 Aug) - Overdrijf
  • ZCT243 (starts 19 Sep) - Duplode
  • ZCT244 (starts 17 Oct) - Daniel3D
  • ZCT245 (starts 14 Nov) - Zak

CTG

This time I don't want to be the last one. Z241? :)

Quote from: CTG on August 28, 2012, 08:50:33 AM
To tell why is it so important:

Several years ago I discovered that I check the clock at 22:41 quite often (although I take a look at the clock about once in an hour). First it was fun (22.41 dm3 is the molar volume of an ideal gas at 0°C), later it became quite annoying. And then... I had a dream where a voice said: the last thing you will see in your life is 22:41 on a clock (the other thing killing me is Guns N' Roses - November Rain, the last song I'll listen before I die - according to another dream).

That's why I listen to November Rain when I have suicide mood.

Since that I see this number even more often: the registry number of the fire alarm button next to me is 22/41, the last 4 digit in the phone number of the most frequently called workmate is 2241 and one of the software licence keys I use starts with 2241.

Since then: my work mobile number starts with 2241... ::)

dreadnaut

Haha, I remember that :)  ZCT[2]241 is yours!

afullo

2241 can also relate to 47, since 2*2=4 and 2+4+1=7. ;)

I can take ZCT242 to continue my summer tradition, or in case of need also one before, since I have a track basically ready...

Cas

I'll take 238. I like physics and Uranium 238 is a very interesting element!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

KyLiE

I can take ZCT236.  No reason specifically other than it's not the first.  Having never submitted a track for ZakStunts before, are there any recommendations or requirements for the track design?

Overdrijf

I've been early in the season twice in a row. I'll take 243 for a change. I might have it done long before that, but I don't mind sitting on it for a bit.

CTG

Quote from: KyLiE on November 22, 2020, 04:42:35 PM
any recommendations or requirements for the track design?

LEFT CORNERS! ;D

Duplode

Quote from: dreadnaut on November 20, 2020, 06:13:24 PM
If you have an idea for a track and would like to contribute, just choose an available month below!

Before we continue: the list in the first post is missing ZCT234. (In particular, that presumably means CTG will want to switch months with afullo in order to keep ZCT241.)

afullo

Ok, for me ZCT240 (27 June - 24 July) would be ok!

Overdrijf

Quote from: KyLiE on November 22, 2020, 04:42:35 PM
I can take ZCT236.  No reason specifically other than it's not the first.  Having never submitted a track for ZakStunts before, are there any recommendations or requirements for the track design?

There are no hard limits on pretty much anything. Typically we see tracks where length wise a half serious test lap with a fast car will be somewhere around or below 2 minutes, though longer (like my most recent entry) and a lot shorter happens too. A fun look or theme is often appreciated and makes the track more notable, but is of course secondary to if the track is fun to drive. There is no single style of driving the track needs to be suitable for, and even combining different styles in one track is fine (like say a fast rollercoaster section and a dual way switching section and a technical ice section and...) There are no forbidden elements or combo's. As long as there is a way to get around the track that is accepted by the game is fine. Although it certainly helps if you don't need to do an upside down loop to loop jump or something to even obtain such a valid run. It's not even strictly necessary for the track to fit the GAR ruleset. ZCT214 was unGARable, we just bent the rules a little bit for that month. One way to annoy a lot of people is to have a good time depend on a hard to pull off RH trick somewhere late in the run, so every time their leading time gets overtaken they have to not just optimize other things in their lap but then also pull off that trick again. The one hard restriction I can think of is that the total driving time on the track with any car at any skill level should probably be below ten minutes, because after that the replay system fails. But that's such a wide limit I don't think any Zakstunts track has ever come close.

So yeah, basically, do what you like...

dreadnaut

Quote from: Overdrijf on November 25, 2020, 10:00:33 PM
There are no hard limits on pretty much anything.

I can add some things that I keep in mind when reviewing tracks:

• I aim at around 1'30" for a medium car, badly driven (it comes natural to me)
  • if the track is above 2'30", I'll shorten any boring straights; if that can't be done easily, I'll ask the designer to cut or reshuffle sections
  • GAR-ability is a nice-to-have; often you can add a longer path on the side of the un-GAR-able bits
  • most cars should be able to reach the finish line: always test with a slow car
  • if there are multiple ways, all should be competitive, at least at first look
  • keep it interesting!

dreadnaut

Quote from: Duplode on November 25, 2020, 12:56:45 AM
Before we continue: the list in the first post is missing ZCT234. (In particular, that presumably means CTG will want to switch months with afullo in order to keep ZCT241.)

Thanks for spotting that :-X  Top list corrected and updated!

Overdrijf

You know what, you can shift me back one as well, to August 22.

I've started work on the concept. ;D