News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

New Race For Immortality?

Started by Cas, October 31, 2020, 08:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

I was asked some time ago, maybe a year or maybe two, about whether there would be another Race For Immortality event. When I held that one, I was thinking of it as a unique opportunity, so later on, seeing new pipsqueaks and some that had come back from hiatus, I lamented that some of them had not been at the time to participate. Right now, I see that activity is at a local high and I begin to consider if there's a way that could be done.

The problem with this, as I was thinking before, is that, if I replace the old records with new ones, then the old even would not have been a "race for immortality". On the other hand, old records could be mixed with the new ones by ponderating the track lengths, but this is kind of messy perhaps. There is also the fact that some people, in particular, AbuRaf70, have participated in the event and I like the fact that his record remains in Bliss.  Now, if everyone except him can participate this time, maybe we could keep his record ponderated, but update all others. There is another, simpler approach is this is to be done: simply make it so that Bliss displays two separate sets of records and that's it.

Anyway, I would like to know how many of you would like to have another Race For Immortality or lament not having been able to participate back then and if so, what would you propose as the best possible way of handling the issues I described?  We were a bunch back then, but now I feel we would be a bigger bunch!  What do you guys think?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

dreadnaut

I missed the original Race, I don't even remember how, but I'm OK with it. It was a one-of-a-kind event, and its result are set in stone... er, Bliss ;D

You could run another race, and show a different scoreboard, but it would dilute the uniqueness of the event, and also: when do you stop? Two races? Three? Or will Bliss become a yearly competition :P

Cas

Yeah, I have the same feeling... On the other hand, I held the event at a time when activity here was at a moderate low, so several pipsqueaks could not be present. Now I see so many people on board and that's why. The scoreboard in Bliss is pretty small. So... these two opposite aspects of the thing in my mind.... That's why I would like to know if many people would like to participate in a second run to see if it's worth it. I figure if that is the case, the best would be to have Bliss display the 2016 scoreboard followed by the 2020 scoreboard. It's like... all pipsqueaks deserve to be there if they want to. I don't know. I think it was Afullo that asked me about it once.... Was it you, Afullo?

Anyway... yeah... maybe it's not a very good idea :/  Just wanted to read opinions to feel convinced either way.

afullo

Yea, I missed the first too, so I would be interested in a second one, also in order to have a reference time in Bliss...

Cas

OK... so there's some interest, but not that much, and also there's the feeling of preserving the uniqueness of the R4I event.... uhm.... We'll be finding a reasonable middle ground, probably for January!