News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

CarWorks - a different approach to car making

Started by Cas, December 10, 2020, 11:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyLiE

I've just tested CarWorks on both x86 and x64 versions of Windows.  Clicking on drive letters behaves the same way as I mentioned before.

Quote from: Cas on September 27, 2021, 03:12:39 AM
So, you expected it to work like Bliss because you are used to seeing that in Bliss or do you actually think it'd be better the way Bliss does it?

I expected it to work like Bliss because I think it's better that way.  I simply mentioned Bliss to make sure that you knew what I was talking about.

Cas

Good, then!  I'll take a look and see if I can get that updated!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

afullo

Quote from: KyLiEClicking on drive letters in Windows works for me, however it takes you to the last selected directory on that drive. I would expect it to take you to the root directory of the drive like Bliss does.

Quote from: CasThanks, Afullo. Just updated the package with the new binary. I'm curious that you do continue to experience problems with the drives while KyLiE doesn't have that problem. Could you guys re-check to make sure or to see why the difference?

In fact, the behaviours are consistent, since I tried on a PC with only one drive, so the last selected directory on that drive is of course the current directory, thus resulting in nothing happening. I will try connecting an external drive in order to have at least two disk units...

EDIT: ok, by having two drives, it behaves exactly as for KyLiE does.

Cas

Ah!  Thank you so much. Now I understand exactly what is going on. So then, you also think it'd be more comfortable like Bliss does it?

afullo

Maybe it would be perceived as more logical, although personally it wouldn't make a particular difference.

Ryoma

Is it possible to add with the spec table, an information like power HP @ RPM and torque @ RPM ?

Something like that

Cas

Of course more graphics are possible, but sorry that I don't know that much about car specs. The graph that CarWorks currently displays, as I understand it, is RPM against torque, right?  The graph you're showing here looks pretty similar to me to that. Notice that CarWorks, by default, displays only the lower half of the graph, since values 128 torque or higher are normally not found in cars and when you enter them, tend to cause crashes anyway, but this can be changed.

The other graph you suggest would be RPM against power. If I understand correctly, this one should be a multiple of the first by a constant. Perhaps the car mass?  Just tell me how to calculate it and I can do it :)

KyLiE

I think Ryoma is simply referring to the information listed under "Power Summary".

Ryoma

Quote from: KyLiE on January 24, 2022, 04:06:43 AM
I think Ryoma is simply referring to the information listed under "Power Summary".

Yes exactly

Ryoma

i did something like this by excel : Click File, choose the res file of a car and you get the curves and somes specs.

Cas

Uhm... so there I see two curves. It seems to me that power is represented by torque multiplied by the RPM at that point, times a certain coefficient. Is this right?  And do you assume Newtons times meter and HP as the units for the current values or is that scaled?

I could certainly add a table with this information to CarWorks. I just need to understand how it is calculated, ha, ha.

EDIT: Oh, I see you've created an thread about it. Great! :D

afullo

By the way, during the latest weeks I updated all my Ubuntu 18.04 installations to the version 20.04. So I will not be able to produce .so5 versions of CarWorks and Bliss anymore, which could be not a great issue since 18.04 support is going to end in a year...

Cas

No problem!  Enough time has passed and now, virtually everybody is using 64 bit OSs. It's a relief to only have to distribute one GNU/Linux binary

ZdnBurns

I'd like to participate more in all these topics, but I'm still having some problems to access all the sites and even play the game.
But what I'm thinking is if we have a program that facilitate the track viewing and car viewing, we could explore much more this new universe you created.
I look at these hundreds of track files and I want to see everyone, but I have to load one by one at Bliss to see clearly the track path. It would be great a way to generate the PNG for every track or a program that show the image of each track just clicking the arrow key. The same for cars, once Stunts is limited to show only 32. Why not 320?!