News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Track ratings

Started by dreadnaut, February 07, 2021, 12:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

Ryoma said:

QuoteSorry I really don't like this track. See you next month....

We won't see its effect at the ratings of the track...

How to take phenomena like this into consideraton when we compare track ratings in the end of the year? Last year I also faced situations like this: I could not rate the track because was not good/enjoyable enough to be raceable. (However, custom cars much more often keep me away from racing... but this is only me...)

I think rating one's own track exerts less error factor than this effect...
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Daniel3D

Quote from: Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister on February 14, 2022, 10:21:04 PM
Ryoma said:
QuoteSorry I really don't like this track. See you next month....
We won't see its effect at the ratings of the track...

How to take phenomena like this into consideraton when we compare track ratings in the end of the year?
I think we should not take this into consideration.

It's kinda like food. You can order a local delicacy that is highly recommended. It doesn't guarantee that you'll like it. It's a matter of taste.
It doesn't make the food any less, just your own opinion on it.

So if you don't like a track and therefore don't race it you can vote as you feel. It's just one vote.

Last season I voted one track I liked less than a track that was undoable for me. Because I could still appreciate the style and the work that went into it.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

Tangent:

(However, custom cars much more often keep me away from racing... but this is only me...)

Hey it happened the same to me back in 2009 or 2011 but it was because I didn't know how to drive those cars, never tryied before and no time to learn them. After, I realized the Stressed era brought new cars more fun, more and different kinds of having fun with Stunts.

What car or cars would you build for Stunts if you have to?

KyLiE

Quote from: Daniel3D on February 14, 2022, 10:43:48 PM
So if you don't like a track and therefore don't race it you can vote as you feel.

Unless dreadnaut has changed it in the last year, that isn't possible:

Quote from: dreadnaut on February 22, 2021, 12:10:24 AM
You can only rate tracks for races in which you took part.

Daniel3D

True. But you have to drive it first to know if you like it.  8) so let me rephrase that.
QuoteSo if you don't like a track and therefore don't race it anymore you can vote as you feel.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Ryoma

Hey this is my philosophy... I am considering myself as an amateur and only wanting fun (and not spend too much time). If the track like this is so tricky or so technics (with your fu#@#@*"€&£$¥g jumps of sh##&_€$¥£t), I give up because it's not fun.... I never want to be frustated like last year..

Sorry, I'm happy about the great révolution of videogame : The disappearance of the famous popup "try again".

And if I want to be more happy, I expect the disappearance of the second popup "Now loading..." Lol

For remind, I'm the first winner of the amateur race last year ;)

Duplode

How to take phenomena like this into consideraton when we compare track ratings in the end of the year? Last year I also faced situations like this: I could not rate the track because was not good/enjoyable enough to be raceable. (However, custom cars much more often keep me away from racing... but this is only me...)

It does sound like a bit of survival bias could be introduced in this way. I feel it might make sense to allow everyone who raced in the recent past (say, in the last six races) to vote.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Duplode on February 15, 2022, 03:47:16 PM

It does sound like a bit of survival bias could be introduced in this way. I feel it might make sense to allow everyone who raced in the recent past (say, in the last six races) to vote.
Do you mean that on top of the criteria that you have to have uploaded a replay to vote on that track?
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Duplode

Quote from: Daniel3D on February 15, 2022, 07:35:49 PM
Do you mean that on top of the criteria that you have to have uploaded a replay to vote on that track?

I mean replacing that criterion, so that, for instance, anyone who posted a replay in any race between ZCT241 and ZCT246 would be able to vote on ZCT246, and not just those who raced in ZCT246.

Daniel3D

I think that the current criteria is better. You can't rate a track you don't know.
But I also think that a track should always have an easy (gar capable) route.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

dreadnaut

I could not rate the track because was not good/enjoyable enough to be raceable.

This is an interesting point, but a difficult one to solve. There is currently a workaround, where one could send a list-filler, and therefore be able to rate the track. It's a double effort (submit a replay, and come back to rate) so it's a poor workaround :-X

One alternative would be to offer a "Forfeit race" option, where you give up on the race, cannot submit further replays for it, and are allowed to rate it. This is also a poor fix, because it lowers the threshold of abuse. Maybe once can only forfeit if they raced on the previous track?

At the same time, the track of the year is meant to celebrate good and fun tracks. If a track is not good, it will have a lower average anyway. Allowing rare "really bad" votes is not going to affect the result that much. My feeling at the moment is to leave those out, and accept the minimal statistical error.

Daniel3D

QuoteIf a track is not good, it will have a lower average anyway. Allowing rare "really bad" votes is not going to affect the result that much.
I agree. I believe that the current system works well for its purpose. The only thing I missed was the ability to change your vote.

Maybe allow one chance to change your vote for a track in the period after the last race? Then you have a chance to compare all tracks.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

However, custom cars much more often keep me away from racing.

I forgot to mention that Melange is an exception of course, it still remains the best custom car. Skoda Felicia Kompressor is another exception, but it's not been used as a competition car for long long years (that's a pity).
Chürműű! :-)

629.09 km

Ryoma

Yes but we can build custom car with high power and high grip...but I think is far from real cars and the compairison with original cars would be cheated.

The only 2 cars which correspond to that criterion are the Lancia ECV 1 and 2.

I'm happy to make car for stunts but it's not this kind of game I like : I prefer an open World like td3 or tdu or a racing game like GT. Here the unreal jumps and glitches are far away from that I want.

Daniel3D

For me it's the predictability of the driving that has made me come back to the game every time (before I joined the community)

I like open world gaming. Especially with free roam. So I played quite a bit of driver San Francisco.
But Stunts has a special place. I like the pseudo realism of it. Some cars are very difficult for me to drive (in competition) like the Lamborghini countach.  But most custom cars drive very well and feel better balanced than the Lambo. (that is usually my camparison. i drive a lap with the lambo, then a lap with another car. Usually I like the other car better. Not quicker per se, but more enjoyable to drive. That is as far as my car comparisson goes  8) )
Edison once said,
---------
---------