News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts 1.1 freeze glitch

Started by GTAManRCR, March 09, 2021, 06:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTAManRCR

The glitch is after you drive 10 minutes straight in BB Stunts 1.1 & MS '91/2/25 the game will freeze unlike BB Stunts 1.0 & MS' 90/12/13 releases. After 10 minutes, the versions above will not prompt you if you want to continue driving, but the versions below will do this. And I tested for GAME.PRE/GAME.RES issue -> It isn't, because using GAME.RES from Stunts 1.1 with the 4-D version, the game will prompt you, but using the other way around (4-D GAME.PRE in Stunts 1.1 as Stunts 1.0 is incompatible) will freeze anyway. So, I discovered partial compatibility with 4-D Sports Driving and Stunts 1.1, but that is another topic
Here is a proof using 4-D Sports Driving with the Hungarian translated Stunts 1.1 GAME.RES file

At the second attachment you can see, tha Stunts 1.0 GAME.PRE is incompatible with Stunts 1.1 but 4-D Sports Driving GAME.PRE is compatible with it
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

Cas

What I can say is that I made a test a couple of years ago with Stunts 1.1 on a different matter and it involved driving past 10 minutes and I don't remember the game having crashed. But probably I should test it again in my computer and see what happens. What I was trying to check was the following:

Stunts 1.0 has a replay format different from that of Stunts 1.1. The latter includes a byte that's always set at 20, which is the number of frames per second and I know this because, if you change it, the rate at which input frames are read from the replay file changes. Sometimes, when a replay is recorded in an old computer that's too slow (like has happened with Stan 286XT), replay auto-submission fails because Stunts runs the game at 10 frames per second on slow computers and apparently saves the replays using this instead, causing replay length to no longer represent the lap with the same basic equation. I knew that at 20 frames per second, you could drive up to 10 minutes, so I guessed that, if you were at 10 frames per second, you would be able to drive up to 20 minutes and get it all recorded as it would take the same number of bytes. So I tested what happened. If I remember correctly, my test on that rate caused a crash, but a prior test on 20fps did not.

Now I'm thinking... is it possible that it was because of this bug and not because of the frame rate?  After all, my memories of driving for very long periods of time are mostly from the early days I had Stunts, which was version 1.0. Worth testing again!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

GTAManRCR

I'm gonna try driving with 10 FPS. Stunts 1.0 lets through, the Stunts 1.1 will freeze (Don't be confused with the image above, that's the Stunts 1.0 GAME.PRE with Stunts 1.1)

GTAManRCR

Yes, using slow simulation speed the game allowed 20 minutes, but in the 13th minute, the car's engine sound became corrupted, at the 14th minute, the timer was removed, so I didn't know, when will the game freeze. This was a bit scary, but did the test anyway.
About the removed timer, I attached a screenshot below

GTAManRCR

According to replays, this happens, when you load the replay made in slow simulation, change its speed to slow again, then load it. I'm uploading my replay file here, so you can mess around it

Daniel3D

I never had problems with driving long tracks. I had one insane long track that took about 45 minutes to complete.
I could not enter the replay though. I thought it was a memory probleem for long replays. Never thought about the replay file..
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

GTAManRCR

Send me that track please, I want to test the behavior of 4-D Sports Driving, and Stunts 1.0
HELENS.TRK is just too short, and it's boring driving LM-002 for the fourth time

GTAManRCR

4-D Sports Driving allows more than 20 minutes

Daniel3D

Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 09, 2021, 04:54:00 PM
Send me that track please,
I  don't have it anymore. Lost everything twice in my life. But the long tracks all originated from JTK.

Although I could have had a hand in it myself to .
Edison once said,
---------
---------

GTAManRCR

ULTIMA isn't long enough -> Done in 18 minutes, but I want to push the game beyond its limits

Daniel3D

Edison once said,
---------
---------

GTAManRCR

I found a 20 mins track, but will need to find longer. Or perhaps I'll make the LONGEST Stunts track ever

Daniel3D

Take one of the live races. You can drive the lap endlessly because start/finish is on a side track.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

GTAManRCR

Intended to drive with Lamborghini LM-002
Thank to Cas' Bliss, I could copy paste the elements I spent 10 minutes to make a single row of

Daniel3D

Of course you can do it with the 20 min track as well if you want less repetitiveness...
Edison once said,
---------
---------