News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts 1.1 freeze glitch

Started by GTAManRCR, March 09, 2021, 06:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 11, 2021, 04:50:50 PM
Quote from: Daniel3D on March 09, 2021, 09:20:20 PM
Take one of the live races. You can drive the lap endlessly because start/finish is on a side track.

This is gonna off topic, but the opponents are completely idiots in Stunts 1.1, this track proves it. In Stunts 1.0, they can drive actually
Which track?
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

GTAManRCR

Quote from: Daniel3D on March 11, 2021, 06:24:15 PM
Take one of the live races. You can drive the lap endlessly because start/finish is on a side track.

This is gonna off topic, but the opponents are completely idiots in Stunts 1.1, this track proves it. In Stunts 1.0, they can drive actually
Which track?

CACTUS.TRK
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

Daniel3D

Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 11, 2021, 06:58:33 PM
Quote from: Daniel3D on March 11, 2021, 06:24:15 PM

Which track?

CACTUS.TRK

:o that's curious.....
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

You mean my track, the one I made for LeStunts, that I called Cactus Madness or something similar?
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on March 11, 2021, 08:25:26 PM
You mean my track, the one I made for LeStunts, that I called Cactus Madness or something similar?

Yes, it seems that opponents in 1.0 can drive it but in 1.1 opponents can't...
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

Uhm... maybe opponent AIs were designed when 1.0 was made and not properly updated when 1.1 was released so opponents sometimes don't "expect" the behaviour of some cars and that's why they fail. Just guessing

GTAManRCR

Sometimes? Even after restarting the race? Still crashing into the tunnel. Also with the Porsche March Indy, which isn't an addon car

Daniel3D

Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 12, 2021, 11:00:26 PM
Sometimes? Even after restarting the race? Still crashing into the tunnel. Also with the Porsche March Indy, which isn't an addon car
The Indy was updated in 1.1. that's why the contest car was created for 1.0
So the contest car should give a similar result in 1.0
As the Indy does in 1.1...
Edison once said,
---------
---------

GTAManRCR

I know it, but 4-D Sports Driving had this version before

Daniel3D

Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 12, 2021, 11:07:32 PM
I know it, but 4-D Sports Driving had this version before
I'm not sure we're on the same page here.
But in 1.1 versions the Indy is faster. But I think ai opponents expect it to be like the 1.0 version causing the issue you mentioned.
Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 12, 2021, 11:00:26 PM

But that's what I think on the basis of the general understanding of the game versions. It's not based on testing on my part. Although I have consulted with JTK's research from the past.
http://stunts.kalpen.de/indyeval.htm
Edison once said,
---------
---------

GTAManRCR

Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 10, 2021, 10:18:56 PM
Amiga version is the same -> 25 minutes limit with all two simulation speeds
Even the NEC PC-9801. FM Towns version is worse, because it only allows 13 mins and 56 seconds, after that, you'll be dropped to the high scores table

dukeofurl

I don't know which version of DOS Stunts I have on disks (the version I currently have installed is off the internet), but growing up, my retail copy would always lock up when the timer flipped to 10 minutes.  It didn't bother me that much at the time because almost all tracks I designed and the stock tracks could be easily completed in under 10 minutes. I'd only ever reach 10 minutes if I was fooling around or had made a very convoluted track that wasn't much fun to play anyway.  I just figured that the game designers never thought anyone would race on one track for more than 10 minutes.

I'd actually never heard of the pop up screen asking if I wanted to continue racing until seeing this topic just now.

GTAManRCR

You either had BB Stunts 1.1 or MS 4D Sports Driving 1.1 (1991-2-25)

dukeofurl

Looks like I had Stunts 1.1  I remember being able to crash into the roof of tunnels, having opponent tracks, and driving on top of tunnels, which seem to be features that weren't in 1.0  My retail copy said "Stunts" all over it rather than "4D Sports Driving" and was published by Broderbund.

Cas

I did have Stunts 1.0 and I do remember the pop up because I liked making super long tracks  ;D  At the time, I didn't try to make good laps. I rather loved playing Stunts as an endurance game. The idea was trying to finish the track without crashing. So my tracks had lots of obstacles, such as buildings in between ramps.

Another way in which I would enjoy to play Stunts was to purposedly cause interesting crashes. My favourite ones were those in which the car ended up flying very high or spinning in very weird ways or those in which the opponent was involved. I discovered that, if I had the opponent crash first, then I could approach slowly and touching the opponent's car would either cause an immediate crash or I'd be shot up into the sky. I'd often first get stuck there and have to accelerate until one of those two things happened. Not sure if this can be done with Stunts 1.1.