News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

ISA competition?

Started by Cas, March 14, 2021, 02:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

I've been looking at tournaments of the past in the Wiki and it calls my attention that ISA does not have a wiki page. The lack of information about this competition, which is said to have first defined OWOOT makes me worry that what is known about it could be lost as time passes and some people in the community become busy and enter hiatus or leave permanently or perhaps just forget details because of so long without thinking about them.

I would like to gather as much information as possible about this competition... and also, why not, about others that are represented, but without much detail, in order to construct a more thorough set of articles about the history of the Stunts community. So whatever you guys know that can help, please post it or point me to where I can find more info. Thanks!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Yeah! I remember ISA and IRC (its second season) as my greatest achievement in competitions. I uploaded some replays from that competition. Every track was called with a city name (capital cities?) and it was fixed the schedule from 15th to 15th of every month. I think it was to have a deadline in a different day of zak's and the other competitions that ended/started at the first day of the month. The car was always INDY. The rules in ISA (managed by Pershing II) were more "open" than in IRC (managed by Mingva). For example in ISA you could cut the corkscrew left/right but in IRC wasn't allowed.

This is my lap video of Buenos Aires track in ISA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya_ZjO7uNlM

Cas

Wow!  Is it known when the first season started and when was the last one, if it was completed or ended in hiatus, etc?  Is there anything left of the website or perhaps it was run in the forum?  I have an idea of the general rules, but I wonder if there's the list of rules somewhere to read them as they were originally written. I'm taking a look at the forum section for ISA/IRC, but details are mostly about IRC.

alanrotoi

Most of the data you could find here. http://www.stunts.hu/irc/index02.html
The 1st season (2002) has a different web design by Pershing II. I can't find an example but I saved the logo.

I felt in 2002 that the main pillars of the community were zak's and ISA. You had a deadline every 15 days and it was awesome. Just imagine like a football team playing two competitions at the same time such local league and continental cup. At the time I met the community (apr 2002) I found this organization. Kalpen's competition was cancelled since 2001, WRC (Roy's competition) was ended/cancelled too), TSST also ended/cancelled, but I found another competition outside this community called Stunts LOL managed by a lovely crazy guy called Leo Ramone (AKA Shoegazing Leo). Also there was a in those times a very popular abandonware site calle Home of the Underdogs that organized a Stunts competition.

Going back to ISA, the competition in 2002 has an administrative problem (can't remember what happened) but Pershing announced he couldn't keep administrating the site so Mingva, a motivated newbie at those times, did it. He kept the same site, design and rules until the end of the season. Then in 2003 he announced a 2nd season and a renovation of the design (the one in the link) and a change in the name from ISA (International Stunts Association? to IRC Indy Racing Cup) and some rules. The change of the rules were more strict about the OWOOTR in some elements like the corkscrews and the highway. There were 10 tracks in 2002. Damn, this is nostalgic.

The original address was this: http://www.stadt.heim.at/wien/141026/chalatest.html

I couldn't find it in wayback machine.

Daniel3D

maybe the old site location in the internet archive?
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

I found the rules written by Pershing II. I have some html from the competition downloaded back then ;)

Rules for the Championships:

This rules do NOT count for the permanent competition!!!:

a) Only Stunts Version 1.1 is allowed.

b) Don't drive with Competition Cars, just drive the original ones.

c) Stay always on/over the track (at least one wheel should be on/over it).

d) Using bugs is not allowed. Bugs are for example, if you can drive through a obstacle like a looping or a beton-block, because of a fault of the game.

e) No loop-jumps are allowed.

That means that you can jump over every obstacle, if you are able to, and don´t break the "stay on/over track-rule". If you are not sure if you drove correctly, just send us your replay and we´ll decide about it and send you a review.

f) If you are a new driver and you send us a replay, please tell us:

1. Your Nickname

2. The country where you're from

Cas

Oh!  Thanks!  This is really is enough like to create a Wiki article!  I hadn't noticed that the same IRC page was ISA for 2002. So in a way, these two competitions are one, but since the rules changed and the administrator changed too (and the name), then it's more natural to consider them to be two competitions.

I believe the Wayback Machine is a service of the Internet Archive, so it'd be the same thing, right?

Man, I wish I could go back to the beginning of the online Stunts era and do it all over again!

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on March 15, 2021, 11:37:21 PM
Man, I wish I could go back to the beginning of the online Stunts era and do it all over again!
Maybe with the new engine there will be a new era. And then we will do it over again.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

This is really is enough like to create a Wiki article!

You'll gather more info from Zak or Bonzai Joe. Or pershing himself, I have his email address somewhere.

alanrotoi

This is really is enough like to create a Wiki article!

If somebody writes it I can publish it. My english isn't enough good and precise for it.

Cas

I've seen that there is an article called just "ISA", which refers to the guys that started the competition and it links (broken link) to the actual tournament page, but it probably should be blended with it once it's done. I do have access in the Wiki and I feel like I can write the article, but it's easier for me when I'm more familiar with the topic. I wouldn't be a good journalist  ;D

Cas

Alright. I've made a page as decent as I could considering that I wasn't active at all at the times of ISA :P  Please let me know if anything is too wrong:

http://wiki.stunts.hu/index.php?title=ISA_competition

For the statistics, I know I should make a nice table, but I'm not very good at that. Maybe later with more time :)

alanrotoi

Very nice! I didn't know you could edit the wiki :D Those times, the "golden era" as it was called in the history of stunts competitions articles by Zak, were so cool, so enjoyable and so competitive. I can't believe after that came another generation of pipsqueaks that took our best achievements as a base to jump even higher.

Cas

Yes, I think around 2015 or 2016, I asked Duplode about something in the Wiki and he gave me access. Since then, I've been writing some articles and editing others (respectfully) that required changes or that could have more info. I like making articles, but it does take an important amount of time. I think it's just the three of us that have edit access there at this moment.

Duplode

Quote from: Cas on March 22, 2021, 11:26:38 PM
I think it's just the three of us that have edit access there at this moment.

There are a few more of us currently with acess; here is the full list. And of course, if anyone else wants to edit the Wiki, just let me know!