News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts World Map

Started by alanrotoi, April 24, 2021, 12:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel3D

Quote from: CTG on May 03, 2021, 08:19:10 AM
The tile is 62.5 m long (according to Stunts wiki), so the area of a track is 3.52 km2.
Well, that is then147,84 square kilometers for the current total map  8)

The largest map from the DOS era is Daggerfall with 163.000 square kilometers,
We would need 46.352 tracks to equal that.

With modern games its impossible. Minecraft has 1 billion square miles (8 times earth) and aint the largest by far.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Well, Minecraft maps are that large algorithmically, that is, there is a seed from which the map is generated. A different thing is to actually have a map in a file, defined by extension, that's that big. If you were to actually generate and store a Minecraft map, it would take up petabytes!
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Cas on May 03, 2021, 07:42:14 PM
Well, Minecraft maps are that large algorithmically, that is, there is a seed from which the map is generated. A different thing is to actually have a map in a file, defined by extension, that's that big. If you were to actually generate and store a Minecraft map, it would take up petabytes!
True, but the map i was talking about is the mincraft online map.
Minecraft has the largest land-based open-world to explore out of any game in this list – by far. The world of Minecraft is approximately 1.5 billion sq. miles. The surface area of the Earth is only 197 million sq. miles; making the world in Minecraft about eight times larger.
With a surface area that big it is a surprising that players ever encounter each other. At any given time there are about one million people playing Minecraft. This means that on average there are about 1500 sq. miles per player. In other words there is plenty of room if players want to make their fortress a little bigger.
Source: https://gamerant.com/open-world-games-biggest-maps/
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

dukeofurl

Too bad we can't stitch multiple stunts maps together for purposes of playing a gigantic track.

Cas

If I ever feel confident to continue with my new engine project, that might become possible :)  But the physics engine is something I don't know how to start to face

About the rendering engine, which I pretty much got working already, I've been thinking that I should remake it with z-buffering. Still, the current rendering engine is good for testing the physics engine if I get into that.

alanrotoi

The Stunts World Map at it is today. Only 9 places left (one of them will be ZCT263)

Erik Barros

Very impressive, I understood some references

Cas

Did you come up with the base map so long ago or have you been making the blending between different map sets?  Other than A1, all seem to blend perfectly. It looks like it's indeed a very old project

alanrotoi

Quote from: Cas on March 05, 2023, 06:57:31 PMDid you come up with the base map so long ago or have you been making the blending between different map sets?  Other than A1, all seem to blend perfectly. It looks like it's indeed a very old project

The original project was for 4dsL 1st season tracks only (2003). Then for the 2nd season I had less and less time so only 2 tracks fits in the original map.

The years passed and sometimes I made a track for this big map like Mayote for FSC (2004?) or zct219 Castelar (2019). I revived the project when I "came back" in 2021. I tryied to put all the tracks I made for competitions in some kind of order having as a base the first 8 tracks from 4dsL.

Maybe I would take away A1 track (Kinshasa from ISA competition) and wait to find a better place when another row or column is unlocked. Yes, I plan it as an open project. It won't end in these 42 tracks ;)

Cas

Really cool!  I imagine what it'd be like if Stunts could load a track this big and you could freely ride around. It'd take a significant amount of time to go from corner to corner.