News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Stunts BB 1.1 vs Stunts FM Towns

Started by Argammon, March 24, 2023, 10:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argammon

Hello pipsqueaks. As some of you know I have been experimenting with the FM Towns version of the game. This first post will summarize the main differences as I find it. To be updated!

1) Cars in FMTowns do not have power gear.
2) Cars in FMTOWNs do not have anti power gear.

Argammon

First Topic: Replay compatibility.

As it turns out, replays are fully compatible as long as you drive slowly. When you drive fast, i.e., when you are getting close to power gear, the replays go more and more out of sync as the three attached pictures demonstrate.

Argammon

The same happens with the Carrera, so it is not only the lack of power gear that explains the different driving behavior at high speed.

Duplode

Very interesting experiments, @Argammon !

While of course any number of things could explain replays going out of sync, my first guess would be the FM Towns having different tolerance in terms of how much grip you need to make through a corner. In that case, the replays would play in sync as long as you don't get close to the grip limit (skidding usually indicates that).

One experiment that could provide evidence for that is driving the Indy on a banked oval, so that you can go faster without exhausting the grip budget. If the tolerance is higher in the FM Towns version, for instance, I'd expect it to be possible to keep the replay in sync while driving on the banked oval for as long as you want in 3rd gear, and perhaps even in 4th as long as a clean line without skidding is maintained.

Daniel3D

I had the idea of a banked figure eight, but I can't load the FM towns version at the moment.
But I made the track and produced a replay to be played in the FM towns version
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Argammon

The FMTowns version plays Daniel's replay without problems!

GTAManRCR

The FM Towns version is called 4D Driving

4D Driving contains Japanese opponents (Some of the original opponents have been fired by EA Victor in order)
This version only allows you to drive for 13 minutes and 58 seconds
Has a badass soundtrack
Has tournament mode with EA Victor made tracks
Features HERROTTO.TRK which isn't original to Herr Otto Partz, since the original track for him is DEFAULT.TRK
Hejj bicska, bicska, bicska csantavéri kisbicska!

Daniel3D

Can you save a 13+ minute replay? Or can you only drive that long??
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

GTAManRCR

You can only drive that long
But in all the other versions, you can drive for 25 minutes. However, the replay will store only the last 10 minutes.
Stunts 1.1 and 4D Sports Driving 1.1 (Feb 25 1991) will hang up at 10 minutes

Argammon

It is not true that you can only drive for 13 minutes, see the screenshot below. So it is probably a problem with your setup.

Edit: It stops at exactly 25 minutes.

GTAManRCR

For me it was the case. When reaching 13:58 the game forced me not to drive anymore. Anyways, do you race with full speed? I used UNZ to test it

Argammon

Quote from: GTAMan18 on March 24, 2023, 08:01:47 PMFor me it was the case. When reaching 13:58 the game forced me not to drive anymore. Anyways, do you race with full speed? I used UNZ to test it

Yes, I am using fast simulation speed and the emulator Tsugaru.

GTAManRCR

My apologies for saying 13:58 is the limit. IDK Why the game stopped me playing 2 years ago at 13:58
I used UNZ with FM Towns II UX