News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

When I joined zakstunts...

Started by alanrotoi, August 25, 2021, 06:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanrotoi

Quote from: alanrotoi on October 28, 2002, 02:21:45 PM

:idea: Ben: I'm using a Pentium 200mhz and 32 mb RAM Windows 98 2nd edition. In my opinion the difference would be in the keyboard. The BTC or the old IBM/compatible keyboards still are the best for games.

This was the pc I used when I joined this comunity in may 2002. So my best performance and achievements were made with it 😆

KyLiE

You're currently sitting at the top of the scoreboard for this season, so does that mean you're still using it? ;)

Cas

My computer when I joined the community was very similar, although I changed it more or less exactly at that time. I originally joined World Stunts Championship in 2005 or 2006. If it was early 2005, then I had this:

- a Pentium 200MHz with MMX
- running MS-DOS 6.22 with another partition running Windows 98 SE only for connecting to the internet
- 24 or 32 MB of RAM
- a 3.1 GB hard drive
- a classic BTC keyboard, US English layout

In middle January 2005, I bought this:

- a Celeron 700MHz on a Soyo 7BVA motherboard
- kept running MS-DOS 6.22 plus W98SE for the internet and somewhat later, started using Ubuntu
- 128 MB of RAM
- a 40 GB hard drive
- a cheaper PS/2 keyboard because I didn't have an adapter to plug my good old BTC. Later, I got one
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Cas on August 25, 2021, 02:15:02 PM
My computer when I joined the community was very similar, although I changed it more or less exactly at that time. I originally joined World Stunts Championship in 2005 or 2006. If it was early 2005, then I had this:

- a Pentium 200MHz with MMX
- running MS-DOS 6.22 with another partition running Windows 98 SE only for connecting to the internet
- 24 or 32 MB of RAM
- a 3.1 GB hard drive
- a classic BTC keyboard, US English layout

In middle January 2005, I bought this:

- a Celeron 700MHz on a Soyo 7BVA motherboard
- kept running MS-DOS 6.22 plus W98SE for the internet and somewhat later, started using Ubuntu
- 128 MB of RAM
- a 40 GB hard drive
- a cheaper PS/2 keyboard because I didn't have an adapter to plug my good old BTC. Later, I got one

Lol!! A very similar computer. And I bought a new computer in Febraury 2005 as well :D. I started to play Lineage 2 and World of Warcraft so I needed a stronger pc and system.

Daniel3D

Well. When i started playing stunts, I had an IBM tall tower, don't remember the specs. Bought it late 1995, so probably with win95.
Somewhere around 1998 I needed a new one for my study, again don't remember the specs but I needed a Matrox G4 video card because I needed OpenGL.
Somewhere along the line i had a Pentium2 with MMX so it could have been then.
After that i refurbished a lot of PC's and have had quite a few donations, so until around 2008 I always had something. Don't remember the specs.
Then I had to move, didn't have the room, money or time and had to dump it all.
(lost Stunts and all my tracks with it. Found some backups later, but noting stunts related)
I only had my work laptop since, and even though I lost that job in 2013, I still have the laptop (negotiated that)
Since around 2000 I knew of kalpen.de but not of zakstunts or this forum.
I found the forum before zakstunts but don't remember when (may have posted that when I still did remember)

So when I Joined Zakstunts i had a Dell Latitude E6510 laptop. With an intel quadcore i7, 8Gb ram and no mentionable gaming power.
The newest game i can play is driver san fransisco from 2011.

So I have a bit of a memory problem.. I am aware of that.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

alanrotoi

And the very first time I tryied Stunts was in October 1993. Martin, a friend of mine from elementary school came home with a copy of Broderbund 1.0 version (uncomplete copy infact because helens.trk and some files from jaguar were missing). My pc was an AT-286 1mb RAM and white Hercules monochrome graphics.
I still have the pack of tracks built in those times 🥰

KyLiE

I first played Stunts in 1996 and it was the Mindscape 13/12/1990 version released by Red Sector.  It was also missing the STDBJAGU.PVS file for the Jaguar XJR9.

Daniel3D

Quote from: KyLiE on September 02, 2021, 07:15:51 AM
I first played Stunts in 1996 and it was the Mindscape 13/12/1990 version released by Red Sector.  It was also missing the STDBJAGU.PVS file for the Jaguar XJR9.
I also remember having the red sector version.
But I don't believe that there were file's missing in that copy.
Not that it would have mattered, I only drove the Indy. Back then I wondered why they would add the other cars in the first place. I couldn't imagine driving those for fun 😂
Edison once said,
---------
---------

alanrotoi

Maybe because that way fits in only 1 disk 🤔

alanrotoi

Quote from: Daniel3D on September 02, 2021, 09:13:11 AM
I couldn't imagine driving those for fun 😂

Lol! The same but only with LM002 😆 only few times I drove a slower car than GTO.

KyLiE

Quote from: alanrotoi on September 02, 2021, 01:43:37 PM

Maybe because that way fits in only 1 disk

I don't think so.  The complete game easily fits on a single 1.44 MB disk.

alanrotoi

Yep, but I had a 5 1/4 diskette. Those had a 1.2 mb only. You are talking about 3 1/2 disks  ;D This argument might only fit with my story then:D

Daniel3D

5 1/4 disk are 360kb for official stunts release.
And 3 1/2 are 720kb for official stunts release.
Both are single density.
So either 4 or 2 disks.
Stunts would fit on a single 3 1/2 double density disk. (1.44 mb)
Edison once said,
---------
---------

KyLiE

Well, even if you exclude the STDBJAGU.PVS file and all the replay, track and high score files, it still wouldn't fit on a single 1.2 MB disk.  So it remains a mystery!

Daniel3D

I think it just was corrupted or lost while copying.
The red sector version was quite wildly spread.
Edison once said,
---------
---------