News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Delorean-DMC12 Back to the Future.

Started by Daniel3D, December 07, 2021, 10:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cas

Oh, but it's OK to comment. Ideas can come up that Daniël might like and sometimes, in the process, we have doubts and are not sure about what to pick about the choices; then other people's ideas and preferences can make us feel more sure about what we want to do.

I'm curious that auto-shading solved the problem. What auto-shading does is remove all colours from the current material and apply undefined colours with four different intensities depending on the orientation of the polygon. Thus, when you later apply a paint colour, it automatically inherits the four intensities and you get the car painted pretty much automatically. What it needs later is some manual painting on the glasses and other stuff that are not part of the main car material.

Or maybe you meant the feature I quickly added to reset the culling. CarWorks does not use the culling flags. Instead, it's based on the one-sidedness of polygons and it determines the orientation from the order in which the vertices are given (right hand rule). This is why original cars may look glitchy in CarWorks but then normal in Stunts, while new cars that you design with external editors normally won't display these glitches in CarWorks.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

Daniel3D

No. The feature to reset the culling data didn't fix it. So I don't know what happened.
I had the obj model imported in stressed and painted. Looks fine there but several polygons are invisible or flicker. Reset culling data (in carworks) makes all culling values 777777. That doesn't change it.
Reset culling data in stressed doesn't help.

So I have overwritten the model by importing the obj model again in carworks and autoschade it and the model functions fine.

I'm going to load an old flickering version and just apply auto shading to see if that fixes it as well.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

That's really curious. Auto-shading shouldn't affect anything but the material colours

Daniel3D

The model is 80% finished. It needs a bugfix and some more details.

Been working on the dashboard, try to keep close to the movie. But the digital speedometer on the dashboard is to high and conflicts with the transparency mask. I have therefore rammed it into the instrument section.

We don't need the analogue gauge anyway.
The technical part of the dashboard is new for me.

I've been working on the performance as well. Mainly testing because the dashboard comes first. I hope to finish the car soon.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

I had a 'time boost' idea for when the car reached 88mph. But it is technically impossible it seems within the car variables without sacrificing playability.
I have therefore opted for a boosted version of the DMC-12.
Top speed of the original is a mere 131 Mph. I made it around 200 mph.
Acceleration 0 - 60 is 9.6 second in the original car, I also boosted that to 5.1s and 0 -100 in 9.8s.

That makes the care better playable and more in line with similar cars in my opinion.
But i am still working on it, doesn't feel quite right jet.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Overdrijf

Quote from: Daniel3D on August 09, 2022, 09:17:51 AM
Acceleration 0 - 60 is 9.6 second in the original car, I also boosted that to 5.1s and 0 -100 in 9.8s.

The Stunts world feels smaller than it is, due to a lack of details and objects of relatable size. Most realistic cars feel slow. (Road cars at least. Things like he IMSA and Indy cars are fine.) My rule of thumb is that the game is at its most fun when I can pretend the miles per hour are kilometers per hour. I'm glad to see you ending up in the same ballpark, with a 0-100 that's close to the realistic 0-60.

Daniel3D

Quote from: Overdrijf on August 10, 2022, 10:00:45 AM
the game is at its most fun when I can pretend the miles per hour are kilometers per hour.
I agree with you. I also think that fun is more important than realism.
That is partly the reason I chose a fictional car. On set the car was quite slow. Some shots were sped up in post. Also for the engine sound they used sounds of the Porsche Carrera.

I have based the engine on real stats that were used in a DeLorean, just several different.
One version has a kia stingray 3.3L twin turbo V6 engine with a Porsche gearbox.
That didn't make the car ridiculously fast, so that was a good inspiration. I took the idea and the description from it.
But I am still not set on the end result.
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

I agree with you, guys. I realise that the cars that feel slow are actually realistic, but I still always prefer to play with the faster ones. The grid in Stunts is too wide in its tile separation. Since the road is about a third of the width of a tile (at most), I think tiles should optimally be that width and track elements should be made if necessary out of  6x6 tiles, but preserver a tight grid. This would allow for placing things well together and it'd bring a feeling of more vertigo.

Anyway, the DMC will be a very fun car to race with, for sure. A car with personality and with a look that conveys more speed than the reality it's based on. So it makes sense to bring it to Stunts with a fun-to-play approach.

Overdrijf

I think both the width of the road and the size of the corners match actual race tracks pretty well. But I've never stood or driven on an actual race track, the dashed line in the center suggests this is a normal road and there are very little other details.

So yeah, I guess you're right, if we could place like a spectator stand or a row of houses right next to the track that would help bring the whole thing into scale. Higher resolution details on the roads itself might help too.

On the other hand, the game is fine as is, I just have to drive a bit faster to feel fast. ;)

Anyway: Delorean cool.

Daniel3D

I have thought about making it a 4 lane road, that would be more in scale but doesn't serve any purpose.
Or remove the middle line and adding side lines for more contrast at the side of the road like a proper track,
and adding grid positions. some scenery to track pieces to give a sense of scale and speed.

Those are easy changes, but make the game less original. So ill keep it for the Ferrari edition if I i find time to do it.

The DeLorean is looking better. I can't add all the details I want because the base model still has too many vertices.
I will have to redo a big part of it someday.
The dash is coming together as well with some help from Alan Rotoi. (not at all finished in the attached picture, but to give a feeling of it)
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Cas

It's looking better and better!  I should fix all the bugs in CarWorks to be of better help to you with the development of this car. What I can tell you is the bugs now are only affecting then 3D part. The Dash Manager section and the Parameter configuration are working well.

Daniel3D

I wanted to finish the car in my holiday. But I've run into a number of problems.
The dashboard (that Alan Rotoi is helping me with) doesn't look as well as I thought. This has to do with using photo's as base. It may be fixable or I have to tune down the image to more stunts like quality.

I stopped working on the shape. 95% finished.

The main reason for not continuing at this moment is the annoying fact that my laptop broke down.
I'm not at home, so I have nothing to work with to diagnose and repair. I have deducted that the problem is in the LCD screen connection. And since the error was stating something was broken while it technically still worked I hope it is either a cable fracture (most likely) or a loose connector.

I hope the latter. But a cable replacement I can manage as well..
Edison once said,
---------
---------

alanrotoi

Quote from: Daniel3D on August 13, 2022, 09:50:45 AM
I wanted to finish the car in my holiday. But I've run into a number of problems.
The dashboard (that Alan Rotoi is helping me with) doesn't look as well as I thought. This has to do with using photo's as base. It may be fixable or I have to tune down the image to more stunts like quality.

I stopped working on the shape. 95% finished.

The main reason for not continuing at this moment is the annoying fact that my laptop broke down.
I'm not at home, so I have nothing to work with to diagnose and repair. I have deducted that the problem is in the LCD screen connection. And since the error was stating something was broken while it technically still worked I hope it is either a cable fracture (most likely) or a loose connector.

I hope the latter. But a cable replacement I can manage as well..

Yes that sucks. Don't give up! It was just a circumstantial inconvenience.

Daniel3D

I don't give up. The Res file is done. So the car can be released as it is. I can do a anniversary release later. (It's not the first time that happened   ;) )

I just had two weeks of reasonable time to work on it. I hoped to get more done..
Edison once said,
---------
---------

Daniel3D

I noticed there are still things wrong with the 3D model. So it needs a good cleaning. So i have to postpone this until i have a new laptop, or time to fix the old. ..
Edison once said,
---------
---------