News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Trying out Ryoma's cars

Started by Duplode, December 27, 2021, 02:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duplode

In the Cars and rules for 2022 topic, there was a consensus for having at least one of Ryoma's cars in the next season. For that to work smoothly, however, we need to do some testing in order to make an informed choice. To get things started, I will (try to) test one car from Ryoma's Mega every day, and report the results here. If some of you join me in doing that, I'm sure we'll get to figure out suitable choices in no time.

Here are the cars tested so far:

To begin with, here are some words on the Ferrari 456 GT (forum topic):

• Gears: 6
  • Powergear: No
  • Flat track top speed: 196 mph
  • Real top speed: 218 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.1 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 12.55 s (References: Countach - 12.40 s; Skyline - 12.45 s; Acura - 12.70 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:32.45
  • First impressions: A moderately fast sports car, whose closest match is probably the Skyline (the 456 should have the upper hand on faster tracks, though). Next to other cars from that class, its handling feels nice and responsive, though there doesn't seem to be much extra grip, and it is easy to get overconfident on the corners.

Duplode

Today's car is the Cizeta V16T! (forum topic)
  • Gears: 5
  • Flat track top speed: 208 mph
  • Real top speed: 218 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 3.8 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 11.15 s (References: Jaguar - 10.20 s; F40 - 10.75 s; GTO - 12.10 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:23.15
  • First impressions: Kinda like the GTO, but somewhat faster on a flat track and without powegear. Alternatively, kinda like the F40, but without the nice handling. Looks like a difficult car.

alanrotoi

I starting to love this thread.  I try to help. Also this is the genesis of the wiki article of the ryoma cars.

Duplode

Thanks for the encouragement, and please do join if you can  :)

Today's car is the Lancia 037! (forum topic)
  • Powergear: Anti
  • Flat track top speed: 142 mph
  • Real top speed: 144 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 6.3 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 13.90 s (References: Carrera - 13.00 s; LM002 - 13.35 s; Trueno - 15.50 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:29.90
  • First impressions: Now that's a curious one! It fits reasonably well in the LM002 bracket, with slightly lower acceleration and somewhat higher top speed. It also has quite high grip for the class, which makes it possible to take large corners close to top speed (rather like the LM002, and in spite of the higher top speed). For the most part it is a pretty comfortable car to drive, with the main complication probably being the Countach-style anti-powergear.

Duplode

Today's car is the Maserati Shamal! (forum topic):

• Flat track top speed: 176 mph
  • Real top speed: 180 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 5.25 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 12.50 s (References: Countach - 12.40 s; Acura - 12.70 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:34.15
  • First impressions: A six-gears sports car vaguely in the Skyline class. That's not unlike the 456; the main differences between the two are that the Shamal has shorter gears and lower top speed.

alanrotoi

Let's emulate Dup's report:

Today's car is the Alfa Romeo 164 Procar! (forum topic: http://forum.stunts.hu/index.php?topic=3728.0):

• Flat track top speed: (how to calculate it?)
  • Real top speed: 211 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 2.65 s (auto gears)
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 09.10 s (References: Melange - 09.95 s; Indy - 08.90 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:18.65
  • First impressions: You still can see this car on Buenos Aires streets so it took my attention. It has only 1 paintjob, a beatiful red and black combination just like the real car. The "procar" condition (a street car with a F1 engine) makes an unexpected reaction about the car. Its acceleration and top speed are way too high over the street version of this car. The grip is as expected just like original cars. Its performance is between IMSA cars and Indy. It has a faster acceleration 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph and 0-200 mph than Melange, P962 and DTM Mercedes but slower than Indy and of course than McLaren-Honda F1. The handling is similar of original cars too. The only not positive thing I see is the tachometer needle and it's not so accurate fast acceleration. There is something wrong there but I can't tell what.

Duplode

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 31, 2021, 05:31:53 AM
Today's car is the Alfa Romeo 164 Procar! (forum topic: http://forum.stunts.hu/index.php?topic=3728.0):
Nice pick!  ;)

Quote from: alanrotoi on December 31, 2021, 05:31:53 AM
Flat track top speed: (how to calculate it?)

It can be calculated from the car parameters by finding out when the aerodynamic drag equals the engine drive (see the Wiki for the formulas). Alternatively, set up a large enough banked oval (I normally use my test track, attached below, though you might want to make it even larger), drive as fast as you can for two minutes or so, let go off the gas, crash and look at the reported top speed. By the way, now that I found a little more time I have replaced the 0-60 and flat track top speed values in my earlier reports, which I had quoted from Ryoma's fact sheets, with measured ones.

Today I'll report on the two Vectors! First, the Vector WX3 (forum thread):

• Gears: 3
  • Powergear: No (bug-free)
  • Flat track top speed: 245 mph
  • Real top speed: 245 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 3.4 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 9.60 s (References: Indy - 8.95 s; P962 - 10.00 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:19.95
  • First impressions: Three gears, 245 mph, a lot of second-gear torque and not much grip to go with it. The WX3 can be thought of as an alternative to Zapper's KITT, the main difference being that it has conventional supercar performance instead of the pursuit mode. At any rate, it is a very challenging car.

Next, the Vector W8 (forum thread):

• Powergear: Rigid
  • Flat track top speed: 229 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 3.95 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 10.65 s (References: Jaguar - 10.20 s; F40 - 10.75 s; GTO - 12.10 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:24.65
  • First impressions: Slightly slower and easier to tame than the WX3. The main point to consider about the W8 is that it has powergear, and I'm not sure ZakStunts can afford a fifth PG car in its roster.

Duplode

My pick for today is the Citroën XM V6 24! (forum topic)

• Powergear: No (unreachable)
  • Flat track top speed: 156 mph
  • Real top speed: 159 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 7.65 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 14.50 s (References: LM002 - 13.35 s; Trueno - 15.50 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:38.80
  • First impressions: A well-behaved, well-balanced slower car which is quite pleasant to drive. A nice option in the Trueno range.

Overdrijf

A car with 3 gears would be kind of cool, might help automatic drivers try out manual shifting.

Duplode

Quote from: Overdrijf on January 01, 2022, 08:55:23 PM
A car with 3 gears would be kind of cool, might help automatic drivers try out manual shifting.

That's an interesting take. I should emphasise that the number of gears is only easy thing about those Vectors! The Ferrari 412 Automatic, though, might be a more user-friendly three-geared car, so I guess we'll wan to give it a spin.

Duplode

My pick for today is the McLaren F1! (forum topic)

• Flat track top speed: 231 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 2.95 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 9.70 s (References: Indy - 8.95 s; P962 - 10.00 s; ZR1 GT3 - 10.70 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:22.55
  • First impressions: Straight-line performance fitting for Le Mans, with just a pinch of extra grip and brake strength to help managing it. Among the older cars, the closest analogue I can think of is the ZR1 GT3 (which also has six gears); the McLaren F1, though, is significantly faster. From the cars I have tested here so far, I'd say it is the most difficult one, even more so than the Vectors.

Duplode

Quote from: Ryoma on January 02, 2022, 08:09:06 PM
Great topic !!!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! On the McLaren's drive, that reminds me of a typo in the Skyline that was spotted by KyLiE after many years: in the original release, I had described its engine as an "Inline V6"  :)

My pick for today is the Lancia Stratos! (forum topic)

• Flat track top speed: 156 mph
  • Real top speed: 164 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 6.2 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 13.50 s (References: Carrera - 13.00 s; LM002 - 13.35 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:29.30
  • First impressions: As far as straight-line performance goes, the Stratos lies somewhere in between the Carrera and the LM002. It has pretty good grip for that class, and enough speed for a lively driving experience. One of my favourites so far!

Duplode

Today I'll look at Formula One Ferraris from the 70's! (forum thread) First, the Ferrari 312T:

• Flat track top speed: 189 mph
  • Real top speed: 189 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 2.4 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 8.50 s (References: MP4/4 - 8.05 s; Indy - 8.95 s; Kart - 9.70 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:08.20
  • First impressions: With impressive acceleration, pretty good but not quite IMSA levels of grip, and relatively low top speed next to the familiar Stunts race cars, the 312T has a distinctive feel. While on track it vaguely resembles the DTM cars, all the extra power does leave its mark. Figuring this one out will be interesting!

Next, the Ferrari 312T4:

• Flat track top speed: 189 mph
  • Real top speed: 189 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 2.4 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 8.50 s (References: MP4/4 - 8.05 s; Indy - 8.95 s; Kart - 9.70 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:04.85
  • First impressions: The 312T4 has identical straightline performance to the 312T; however, it has a significant amount of extra grip (thanks to ground effect!), standing in between the IMSA cars and the Indy in that respect. As a result, it is a fair bit easier to drive than the 312T (though, thankfully, not trivially easy). Think of it as the Superkart's big brother.

Overdrijf

Quote from: Duplode on January 04, 2022, 11:58:22 PMWhile on track it vaguely resembles the DTM cars, all the extra power does leave its mark.

Think of it as the Superkart's big brother.

Ooh, I like those descriptions.

Duplode

Following Overdrijf's lead, my pick for today is the Ferrari 412 Automatic! (forum topic):

• Flat track top speed: 158 mph
  • Real top speed: 159 mph
  • 0-60 mph: 7.1 s
  • Time to hill at Default (auto gears): 14.45 s (References: LM002 - 13.35 s; Trueno - 15.50 s)
  • Default test lap (NoRH, classic line): 1:37.60
  • First impressions: There certainly is merit in the idea of an easy three-geared car for learning manual transmission; however, I'm not sure the 412 is that car. The ideal speed for taking large corners appears to be very close to the second-to-third-gear upshift point, while in a learner's car we'd probably want to have that well into the second gear optimal range. Furthermore, the gear change time is very short, which means a light touch on A/Z is needed to avoid double changes. As for handling, the 412 feels slightly trickier than other cars in its class, such as the Toyotas or the LM002, or the XM for that matter. Nothing insurmountable, but all in all it's not exactly a newbie-friendly car.