News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

OMG I have just discovered this community! I have made music praising STUNTS

Started by flipbit03, December 28, 2021, 03:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flipbit03

Hello, fellow Stunters! I'm a 36 y/o Brazilian who has played an unhealthy amount of Stunts throughout my whole life.
I am delighted to find a whole community dedicated to Stunts (found out about you guys on Hacker News).

How do I go about this?
What do you guys do?
Is Stunts heavily modded now with lasers and whatnot, or are we just racing to the smallest wall time?
Can someone show me around? :-)

I am a coder but I like to make music on my spare time, so I want to show you all this stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/flipbit03/stunts

this was made on an actual Tracker (Renoise) and using only samples I gathered from recording STUNTS through DosBox.... I really love the stuff.

This is the art for the track. I had a friend "remix" the main menu for me :-)

Hope you guys enjoy! It sincerely made my day to find this community.

Have a good one o/

dreadnaut

Hello there, and welcome! I suppose you noticed my comment :o

You'll find others from Brazil here, and fellow musicians too — Stunts is clearly an inspiration. But mainly, a bunch of people interested in playing and modding the game.

At the moment there are two main racing competitions: ZakStunts and Race4Kicks. Both 2021 seasons have just finished, with new ones starting in January.

The main difference between the two is that ZakStunts is "freestyle", you are free to cut corners, dodge tricky sections, etc; while Race4Kicks follows "stick to the road" rules.

We have more tracks that I can count, and an ever increasing number of custom cars, and tools to create new ones. Look around the forum for more details. Our wiki contains a lot of technical details on the game, we have a reverse engineering repository, and you can read some history on RockPaperShotgun or our article section.

Again, welcome :)

alanrotoi

Hey welcome! We have our hexacampeão Duplode from Brazil, too. ;) If you want to join a competition please note there are some racing teams looking for new pipsqueaks.

flipbit03

hah, great! will look into it, my friend.

One of the things i enjoyed the most in the original game back in the day was to drift or crash the car in a subtle way that would trigger a bug that would make the car go spinning and floating in the air, to insane heights! do you guys have a name for that bug or a tip on how I can trigger that? I wanna do it again.

dreadnaut

Quote from: flipbit03 on December 28, 2021, 09:40:11 PM
One of the things i enjoyed the most in the original game back in the day was to drift or crash the car in a subtle way that would trigger a bug that would make the car go spinning and floating in the air, to insane heights! do you guys have a name for that bug or a tip on how I can trigger that? I wanna do it again.

I don't know if we have a name for the crash-and-fly bug, but a safe and controlled version of the same is the "helicopter trick", often achieved with the Acura in 6th gear / powergear. To fly in odd directions at high speed, I suggest drifting into a hill with the Indy at max speed — here's a favourite replay, with a flying ending :)

Duplode

Bem-vindo, flipbit03  :) That music track is very nice! And yes, as dreadnaut says, powergear drifting is the easiest way to spin wildly in the air. I also don't think we have a name for the uncontrolled version of the bug, though "tornado flight" has occurred to me at this very moment  :D

Cas

Hi, Flipbit!

- Nice to have you in the community!  Good music!  I think I should dedicate some more time to music myself.
- Although we've been able to do many things for Stunts, I wouldn't say it's so highly modded as to feel like a different game. We have only recently began making modifications that actually change its behaviour, but very slightly... like, since recently, we have a mod that allows for cars to have a different needle colour for their instruments.
- What we've mostly done is create tools that add to the game and made lots of tracks and cars and of course, run the forum, the tournaments and the wiki. Also, the original binary has been completely disassembled, yet, as I said, few modifications have been made to the original code.
- Apart from the two main tournaments that run throughout the year, there are also the live races that are special events we organise from time to time and that are very unique and extremely fun.
- We have lots of history accumulated that you can find in the wiki and forum and a whole lot of jargon. We could say that the Stunts community is a "culture" :)
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

afullo

JTK

Vintage Stunts Racing at http://www.kalpen.de