News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Closing thoughts and feedback

Started by dreadnaut, December 31, 2021, 11:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreadnaut

I think we're done with season 2021 - dries forehead. I quite enjoyed this season, many interesting tracks and challenging races. I chose to spend less time on racing, and that showed on the scoreboard, but I had fun! A few new faces around, with interesting stories—hello! And so many cool things happening with cars and reverse-engineering. That feels like the way forward to me, rather that try to build something new that behaves like Stunts.

Next couple of weeks, I should complete what's needed for the Amateur system. There's a bit more work than I expected, as I have to rewrite much of the scoreboard calculations while keeping the previous seasons working. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but there could be an week of delay starting. But thanks to Cas and KyLiE, Race4Kicks will be there for you :)

Now, what about you?

• What did you enjoy in 2021?
  • What felt less interesting or exciting?
  • What are you looking forward to in 2022?

KyLiE

Quote from: dreadnaut on December 31, 2021, 11:45:13 AM
I think we're done with season 2021 - dries forehead.

I know how you feel!  From lightning strikes to the release of the Chevrolet Corvette CERV III, it certainly has been a busy year for me.

Since this was my first full season, I enjoyed being competitive in the overall season standings.  Other than that, it would have been nice to see a few more race summaries.  For 2022, I'm looking forward to the new car line-up as usual, but also seeing how the Amateur competition goes, even though I won't be participating. ;)

Cas

- It's been a great year for the Stunts community, for certain. Very active. With an impressive car making spree and lots of action. At some point, I started to have less free time because of my new job, which actually is a good thing, but I managed to remain moderately active and I'm glad I was able to be here the whole year.
- I'd say what enjoyed the most has been the diversity of things that have been going on throughout the year more than any particular thing. There's nothing I can really complain about. It's been one of the most active years here
- I hope this new year will be just as active or better and I will try to make some advancement with my Stunts projects. Modding the original source has been interesting and there's more that can be done there, but there's a very strong limit. For example, it's unthinkable to add extra height levels or to make tracks of sizes other than 30x30 and almost as hard to add more track elements without removing existing ones with this engine. Full translation to a language that can compile natively for new OSs is possible, but could date one to two decades with the number of people that can be involved. This is why I think the engine core needs a replacement for the game to be able to grow. Such replacement should be extremely respectful of the original game. There's no point in just writing a new game. The engine is a part, just like the graphics are another and the cars are another, etc. But even if that project wouldn't end up being embraced, I still think it's worth getting there. Lots would be learnt from the experience and it'd be a lot of fun to actively build on it, not just play it.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.