News:

Herr Otto Partz says you're all nothing but pipsqueaks!

Main Menu

Sports 2022

Started by Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister, February 04, 2022, 01:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister

It is time for the Winter Olympic Games in Beijing! For this occassion, I also played a bit the good old Winter Challenge PC game (1991) with DosBox.
Chürműű! :-)

917.47 km

Daniel3D

Wow. Thanks for that one.
I forgot so much about this game that I couldn't find it anywhere.
In the early nineties I played 3 games.
This one, stunts (obviously) and Prince of Persia.
Edison once said,
"I have not failed 10,000 times,
I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
---------
Currently running over 20 separate instances of Stunts
---------
Check out the STUNTS resources on my Mega (globe icon)

Cas

Oh, I never had that one!  I did have a "California Games" that included skating in the water ducts, snowboarding from a mountain top, water scooter, etc.
Earth is my country. Science is my religion.

alanrotoi

Quote from: Cas on February 04, 2022, 09:10:08 PM
I did have a "California Games"

I thought exactly the same! What a game! California Games 2 was a fun game too, but the first one was better.
This oly winter game seems a bit boring at least from this picture... reminds a golf game I had back in early 90s :D

afullo

Is this the game by Accolade? I remember having something similar back in the 90s.

dreadnaut

I played a ton of Winter Games back then, we had competitions with friends after school!

I should still have that floppy somewhere :)

Yes, it was a game by Accolade. A small problem in this game was that the computer results were too good in some events (even at amateur level). In the ski jump, which was my favourite event, it was too easy to fall when we jumped a long one.

Summer Challenge (1992) also existed, I was much better at it. In this game, the javelin throw was my favourite.

I played a lot of Winter and Summer Challenge tournaments against a friend of mine (and against his older brother), but in some cases, against my sister and my father, too. I remember my father was quite good at the javelin throw.

In the meantime, Hungary won a bronze medal in Beijing (short track speed skating, mixed relay) today.

917.47 km

afullo

Ok, so it is probably the very same game I used to play more than 25 years ago. I remember troubles in jumping, too, and also skating was difficult (short track still did not exist, afair). My favourite was biathlon...

Quote from: afullo on February 05, 2022, 07:14:37 PM
Ok, so it is probably the very same game I used to play more than 25 years ago. I remember troubles in jumping, too, and also skating was difficult (short track still did not exist, afair). My favourite was biathlon...

Almost sure that this is the same game. The speed skating was also very difficult, yeah, because at some corners, even if we controlled the athlete to the left, it hit the wall at the right. If we slowed down, we managed to avoid the crash, but our time became weak...

Btw some other favourite early DOS games (apart from Stunts, Summer and Winter Challenge): Scorched Earth, Lotus 3, Brett Hull Hockey '95, CD-Man (a PacMan-clone), LeaderBoard Golf...

917.47 km

afullo

For me, Lotus 3 had been in the second half of the 90s the split screen multiplayer par excellence.

alanrotoi

Ok maybe I was wrong and it is not that boring if everybody played it ;D

Quote from: afullo on February 05, 2022, 07:46:05 PM
For me, Lotus 3 had been in the second half of the 90s the split screen multiplayer par excellence.

All of the mentioned games were played by me in the second half of the 90s. I had my first PC in June 1996. (Between 1988 and 1996, I had a Commodore 64.) FIFA '94 and '96 were also influential.

917.47 km

afullo

Quote from: Akoss Poo a.k.a. Zorromeister on February 05, 2022, 08:32:23 PM
Quote from: afullo on February 05, 2022, 07:46:05 PM

All of the mentioned games were played by me in the second half of the 90s. I had my first PC in June 1996. (Between 1988 and 1996, I had a Commodore 64.) FIFA '94 and '96 were also influential.

In June 1996 I had my second PC, in which I did not install anymore some games present on my previous one (from 1992), such as Winter Games. But Stunts and Lotus, among many others, were installed again, and played even more. My first Fifa was '99.

Now two bronze medals for the Hungarian team. Nice for a nation which is only known for summer olympics success, but it could have been more, however, Sándor Liu Shaolin was deprived of his gold medal by the cruel/biased judges today (btw he is half Chinese, half Hungarian, but a Hungarian citizen).

917.47 km

And a gold medal today! Hungary is 18th on the medal table! Almost as good as at the Summer Games last year, when Hungary was 15th in the end.

917.47 km